Mineral, non synthetic
17.48%
Other (Explain)
2.43%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Oil!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 06:47 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Oil!

Originally Posted by Jaket
"Second number is for boiling temps"

NOT really. Second number is just how thick it is. 30 is thin, 40 is thicker, 50 is even thicker. I even asked Bel-Ray helpdesk that is 40 or 50weight better for Suzuki TL. which one will give better oil film at crank. They said 50. It's just thicker film, protects better.

Yes really..

The first weight is its rated weight at 0c or 32f... The second number is what it thickens to at 100c or 212f..

Now of course, heat makes it thinner. But thats what the numbers mean, freezing and boiling..

at least thats what I learned in all my shop classes
Old 05-29-2008, 04:20 AM

07Rsixxer is a decent person

i run castrol actevo 10-40 motorcycle oil, its semi synthetic i believe.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:46 PM
"Keep Your F4i's IDIOTS"

50slut will become famous soon enough

i run Bel-Ray EXL 10w40 oil and k&n or fram filter
Old 10-27-2008, 01:45 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 50slut
i run Bel-Ray EXL 10w40 oil and k&n or fram filter
man I don't care what oil a person uses, but don't use fram filters!

they are JUNK! Absolute complete garbage!

I personally sun super tech filters, I"ve cut one apart and compared it to a honda filter, appears to be exactly the same.
And super tech filters are produced by the same company that makes K&N filters
Old 10-27-2008, 02:16 PM
cereal killa

poni can only hope to improve

I heard fram is junk and have had alot of issues with quality....filters collapse inside and don't actually "filter" oil they just let it pass w/o filtering anything. also heard of people having clutch plate problems when going to some other oils....slipping etc....i go conventional 10-40 and keep it changed on the regular.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:47 PM
www.myspace.com/impaktech

Dick Loogie Stunts has much to be proud ofDick Loogie Stunts has much to be proud ofDick Loogie Stunts has much to be proud ofDick Loogie Stunts has much to be proud ofDick Loogie Stunts has much to be proud ofDick Loogie Stunts has much to be proud ofDick Loogie Stunts has much to be proud ofDick Loogie Stunts has much to be proud of

Royal Purp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-23-2008, 10:48 AM

Jaket is an unknown quantity at this point

i don't believe the that fram is crap, just because people say they are, maybe in the past they had cardboard endcaps, but i took one apart and it has good design and it's well made. metal endcaps and good quality flow back and overpressure valve.

Name:  IMG_5053.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  54.4 KB

Name:  IMG_5050.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  51.1 KB
Old 11-23-2008, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jaket
i don't believe the that fram is crap, just because people say they are, maybe in the past they had cardboard endcaps, but i took one apart and it has good design and it's well made. metal endcaps and good quality flow back and overpressure valve.

Well you risk your bike to save 30 cents then..

But when you can go to any automotive/motorcycle/atv forum and most people say fram is crap, I would stick away..

I hear the same **** on all forums, so why risk it??

If you wanna save money, get anything cheap but a frame.. Supertech filters are made by the same manufacturer as K&N filters, and they run about $2.50, so I personally run super tech.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:26 PM
cereal killa

FRAM IS CABBAGE! same as with auto filters....stay away!
Old 12-03-2008, 02:45 PM
NFP

NFP is a decent person

Run Honda GN4 in the stuntbike cause its low miles (under 6000), once she hits that mile mark Ill be runnin AMSoil full synthetic like I do in my F3 with 15k miles
Old 12-22-2008, 07:40 AM
cereal killa

Originally Posted by NFP
Run Honda GN4 in the stuntbike cause its low miles (under 6000), once she hits that mile mark Ill be runnin AMSoil full synthetic like I do in my F3 with 15k miles
good job....you have to break in anyengine with conventional then introduce synthetic cause you have to change the il really frequently to get all the bits the filter doesn't catch etc....i used to put magnets and drop my pans sometimes or get the filters and slam a huge magnet onto it...change the oil every 1k. then after about 5k of that do a few regular oil changes and intro the syn.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:10 AM

BlackBlade is a decent person

I always use Silkoline pro4 15/50..
Old 01-08-2009, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by BlackBlade
I always use Silkoline pro4 15/50..
why so thick?!

Especially in a modern sport bike motor!

I can understand thick oil in OLD motors, but hell, lots of new motors require really thin oil, like my friends civic 5-20w is what it requires
Old 01-08-2009, 12:54 PM
cereal killa

Originally Posted by Towlieee
why so thick?!

Especially in a modern sport bike motor!

I can understand thick oil in OLD motors, but hell, lots of new motors require really thin oil, like my friends civic 5-20w is what it requires
+1 true dat....new cop cars take the 5/20 also and i had seen a guy forget to fill it after draining, he didn't make it out of the shop. HE SEIZED IT UP SOLID! the toleranceS in new engines are so small ya need really thin oil....
Old 06-10-2009, 01:39 PM
I ♥ uR mOm

INSANECRAZZY has a brilliant futureINSANECRAZZY has a brilliant futureINSANECRAZZY has a brilliant futureINSANECRAZZY has a brilliant futureINSANECRAZZY has a brilliant futureINSANECRAZZY has a brilliant futureINSANECRAZZY has a brilliant futureINSANECRAZZY has a brilliant futureINSANECRAZZY has a brilliant futureINSANECRAZZY has a brilliant futureINSANECRAZZY has a brilliant future

i run Amsoil 10w 40 synthetic motorcycle oil on all my sportbikes
Old 06-10-2009, 01:42 PM
word

oh8cbr600 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Towlieee
Yes really..

The first weight is its rated weight at 0c or 32f... The second number is what it thickens to at 100c or 212f..

Now of course, heat makes it thinner. But thats what the numbers mean, freezing and boiling..

at least thats what I learned in all my shop classes

if it thins out as it heats...then why is the second number bigger if thats its heated weight? that makes no sense to me
Old 06-10-2009, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by oh8cbr600
if it thins out as it heats...then why is the second number bigger if thats its heated weight? that makes no sense to me
because the oil has to thicken up to make up for the fact that heat naturally thins it out.

If it didn't thicken up from the chemicals in it, then it would get too thin, and not lubricate at higher temps.

However it thickens slightly to help make up for the fact it's hot

Most modern motor oils are formulated from various grades of oil so the oil will have the best characteristics of both thick and thin viscosity oils. Multi-viscosity oils flow well at low temperature for easier starting yet retain enough thickness and film strength at high temperature to provide adequate film strength and lubrication.

A thin oil such as a straight 10W or even a 20W oil designed for cold weather use would probably not provide adequate lubrication for hot weather, high speed driving. Likewise, a thicker high temperature oil such as SAE 30 or 40 would probably become so stiff at sub-zero temperatures the engine might not crank fast enough to start.

Multi-viscosity grade oils have a wide viscosity range which is indicated by a two-number rating. Popular multi-viscosity grades today include 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30, 10W-40 and 20W-50. The first number with the "W" refers to the oil's cold temperature viscosity, while the second number refers to its high temperature viscosity.
http://www.aa1car.com/library/motor_oil_605.htm

Last edited by Towlieee; 06-10-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:53 PM
word

oh8cbr600 will become famous soon enough

gotcha...thanks man
Old 06-10-2009, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by oh8cbr600
gotcha...thanks man
np

I still dont understand why it's rated like that, you would almost think it would be 40w-10 or something, and at low temps be 40 thickness and at higher temps 10 thickness, but I guess that's just how it works
Old 06-12-2009, 04:07 PM

$$$$DINO$$$$ is a decent person

i been spending $40 for a oil change crap...not any more