Wheelie ? for a ZX9R..

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 09:50 PM

lobe50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wheelie ? for a ZX9R..

Hi All,

I am new to my ZX9R, and trying to wheelie. i have been riding dirtbikes, quads, and harleys since i was a kid, so i got the basics of wheeling down.

I read the sticky, but my questions are:
When trying to clutch a wheelie in 1st gear I have to be up to around 5500-6000rpm (approx. 40mph) to get it up. If I try to do it at lower speeds the back tire spins (it has a 200 series on the rear).
If I try it in 2nd gear, either the tire spins, or the clutch is slipping?? I can't really tell???

The bike has a K&N, and a Muzzy pipe for mods.
Any suggestions ?????
Thanx....
Old 10-04-2004, 09:52 PM

DoodleF4i can only hope to improve
Re: Wheelie ? for a ZX9R..

sometimes i get spin when i try clutching 1st,try leaning back adding more weight to the back wheel.also try droping the psi a little bit.and are you slipping the clutch or just "dumping" it?
Old 10-04-2004, 11:41 PM

headache is an unknown quantity at this point

You may need a new rear tire, I can clutch mine up at 3000rpm in first when i have a good tire on the back. Also my clutch is kind of picky it has a "sweet"spot that it needs to be adjusted at or it will slip when i try to clutch up 2nd gear sitdowns. Your bike should power wheelie at 4000rpm in first with no problem. Try letting some air out of the rear tire too, like 25psi.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:02 AM
Is building another f4i

skillz is just really niceskillz is just really niceskillz is just really niceskillz is just really niceskillz is just really nice

sounds like your crowding the tank , can't tell without a pic
Old 10-05-2004, 08:56 AM

lobe50 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well the tire is a Brand new Michelin 200, but I will check the air pressure in it

And maybe I am too far up towards the tank as mentioned, I will experiment more.

Is there any other ways to check for clutch slippage??
I tried holding the front brake and slipping the clutch out while stopped in 2nd gear, and the tire will spin or the bike will stall B4 the clutch slips. I figured that was a Good Sign, Right??????

Thanx Again...
Old 10-05-2004, 09:44 AM
Regular StuntLifer

RoadStainR6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yup, thats the only way I know other than takin it apart and lookin at the pucs. Try sliding yourself back in the seat. I've never ridden a 9r but from the bikes I have been on, it seems that my body position determines my wheelie success. Good luck and enjoy!
Old 10-05-2004, 06:46 PM

J-dawg2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lobe50
Hi All,

I am new to my ZX9R, and trying to wheelie. i have been riding dirtbikes, quads, and harleys since i was a kid, so i got the basics of wheeling down.

I read the sticky, but my questions are:
When trying to clutch a wheelie in 1st gear I have to be up to around 5500-6000rpm (approx. 40mph) to get it up. If I try to do it at lower speeds the back tire spins (it has a 200 series on the rear).
If I try it in 2nd gear, either the tire spins, or the clutch is slipping?? I can't really tell???

The bike has a K&N, and a Muzzy pipe for mods.
Any suggestions ?????
Thanx....
Listen up!!! I have a 2002 zx-9r which happens to be the best lookin 9r I 've ever seen in my life But anyways, I have nothin but a pipe, -1 front +3 in the rear and my bike wheelies without a problem in 1st through 3rd. I can be at idle in first and just gas it and it will come up. Second, I can clutch up at like 20 mph. 3rd I can bounce up at 25+. If I can give you any advice, I would say practice. There was a time when I was certain my bike could not wheelie in 3rd no matter what. But I went out one night and bounced, and it came straight up. Its all timing and technique. :YEAH
Old 10-05-2004, 10:00 PM

Got2josh is an unknown quantity at this point

Yup, timing with the techinque, as well as body position. Katana's are notoriously hard to get up, some people claim it's impossible, and that's what I thought for quite some time, but recently I've been really working on my technique and can ride them at BP for a good little ways.

First of all I think you want to learn standups first, sitdowns seem kinda pointless because you can't see. Try left foot on the passenger peg with right foot regular, it feels weird until you get used to it, but it makes it SOO much easier.

You said your tire spins at under 5500 or so, you probably you want to ride around for like, 10 minutes or so before going for the wheelie to warm those tires up, although standing up may elliminate the need to do this.

The big thing is just practice, you have a bike that will do a lot, you just have to figure out how. Keep asking questions and most of all practicing.