I'm Lame - wheelie questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 03:22 PM

vwbcart is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm Lame - wheelie questions

Hey guys - sorry for a lame post - but I figure it's worth a shot

I just recently got my '03 sv650s. I ride the hell out of it but mostly it's race style riding with my father who is a frequent knee dragger. I can control the bike, and know it well. But I want to learn wheelies. I can ride it in first gear up to about 5,000rpm lay off for a second, bounce, and throttle it and it'll bring the front up - most of the time unpredicatble and not very consistent. I think I have read every thread that has the word "wheelie" and "help" in it on this forum. When following the clutch popping method, I can't get the front end up...I'll take the bike to about 5,000 rpm, pull in the clutch, throttle up to about 8,000-9,000rpm and pop the clutch, and nothing - infact I have tried going higher in rpm and it just feels like I'm going to fly over the handlebars when the clutch is out. I have been practicing a lot the past few weeks, and just can't get the clutch method to work. Am I doing it all wrong? Do I need to brush up on my vocab? been riding for a while, just never did stunt stuff. I sit far back on the seat and try stuff - I've got the ***** to try things, but I'd rather get some good advice before I hurt myself...Any help??

TIA, and sorry for the lame post - I know you guys probably see these every day
Old 07-21-2004, 03:31 PM

PavementEater is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: I'm Lame - wheelie questions

Nah its cool man, thats what this site is all about.
Try clutching it up at lower RPM's. lean back and always cover the rear brake.
You say you got power wheelies down, same idea just a little more control with the clutch once you get used to it.

like everyone will say on this site.

practice practice practice.

~J
Old 07-21-2004, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by PavementEater
You say you got power wheelies down, same idea just a little more control with the clutch once you get used to it.

~J
Very cool - thanks for the nice reply....Ok, I think I may need a good definition of "clutch it up" because if it's working at lower rpms I might be all backassward on this...

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2004, 04:28 PM
Regular StuntLifer

gman_gsxr750 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's definately all about practice. To clutch it you basically do it how you were describing.... get going at good RPMs, pull in the clutch just to the engagement point, give it a good amount of throttle, and let the clutch out quickly. You're probably just nervous about looping it so it's really all a matter of getting used to the feeling.<br>&nbasp;<br>I learned by doing power wheelies by bouncing the throttle too. The clutch is just the next step. But as PE said above, be ready to back off the throttle and get on the rear brake... it just takes time.
Old 07-21-2004, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by gman_gsxr750
It's definately all about practice. To clutch it you basically do it how you were describing.... get going at good RPMs, pull in the clutch just to the engagement point, give it a good amount of throttle, and let the clutch out quickly. You're probably just nervous about looping it so it's really all a matter of getting used to the feeling.<br>&nbasp;<br>I learned by doing power wheelies by bouncing the throttle too. The clutch is just the next step. But as PE said above, be ready to back off the throttle and get on the rear brake... it just takes time.
Ahhhh makes more sense now. I'm not sure what it means to loop it either, but if it's anything like loopus, I guess I don't want it. I think I need to practice the wheelies and my terminology, would probably help me learn a lot better. So I should essientially go slower before pulling in the clutch, and then try popping it? I've got the ***** and training on the bike that I can control throttle and braking, but this is a whole new world. Thanks for the tips - can't wait to try this and read more!
Old 07-21-2004, 04:39 PM
Regular StuntLifer

Originally Posted by vwbcart
Ahhhh makes more sense now. I'm not sure what it means to loop it either, but if it's anything like loopus, I guess I don't want it. I think I need to practice the wheelies and my terminology, would probably help me learn a lot better. So I should essientially go slower before pulling in the clutch, and then try popping it? I've got the ***** and training on the bike that I can control throttle and braking, but this is a whole new world. Thanks for the tips - can't wait to try this and read more!
Looping it means to apply so much power that the bike comes up and all the way back and hits the tail or lands on you. <br>&nbsp;<br>Be careful at low RPMs... without any forward momentum it has no where else to go but up and back.
Old 07-21-2004, 04:42 PM
Regular StuntLifer

rlk6494 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PavementEater

~J
i think what pavementeater was eluding to was the fact that you have a v-twin (sv650)? instead of an inline 4 like 95% of SL has so clutching it at lower rpms will work better
Old 07-21-2004, 05:20 PM

alauck is an unknown quantity at this point

hey there wit u just got an sv650s 04 2nd bike but i have alittle drouble im 64 270 so its little diff than my gsxr 750 03 . i have bounced it in 3rd a it gets about foot off the ground ... also im thinking of taking the retard mechanism for 2nd and 3rd gear to open all the way up would this be a good thing or a downfall and not real sure what wires
Old 07-21-2004, 06:21 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

teva is an unknown quantity at this point

you can stunt anything, it's all about practice. but, yeah v-twin's have more torque at lower rpm's so that might help ya out. cover the rear brake and be safe.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:35 PM

Ryan Thompson is an unknown quantity at this point

One tip I've learned when clutching wheelies is to pull in the clutch, roll on the gas until you reach the tourque part of your RPM's, and then just slowly feather the clutch out, don't just dump the clutch. You can let the bike rise much slower and be in much more control.l
Old 07-21-2004, 06:55 PM
Five636 RIP

five636 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rlk6494
i think what pavementeater was eluding to was the fact that you have a v-twin (sv650)? instead of an inline 4 like 95% of SL has so clutching it at lower rpms will work better
Hey, I have an SV650s. its an 02. Try keeping the rev's below 5000rpm (2nd gear).

WHat everyone else said is correct. The Bike you have has more than enough torque below 5000. 5000 and above you really have to know the bike perfect and Compress the forks and then pull up like crazy. Its a great bike to wheelie on b/c you can ride 2nd gear wheelies at a pretty slow speed.

Another thing about the SV is the Balancing point is really high. I have not gotten there too often, but when I do I can't see anything but Speedo lol.

GL and be safe.!

PS the SV has its oil pickup in the front of the engine so dont ride em too long you'll blow the engine!
Old 07-22-2004, 01:40 AM

armyofone is an unknown quantity at this point

Do what is comfortable, take baby steps, use Teva's and Ryan's advice they make some good pointers. You'll get soon enough it doesn't happen overnight that's for sure
Old 07-22-2004, 09:31 PM

92SHINE is an unknown quantity at this point

This guy is 100% correct you should always clutch a v-twin up at lower rpms thats where all of your torque is. good luck
Old 07-23-2004, 08:18 AM

PavementEater is an unknown quantity at this point

word..
Old 07-26-2004, 09:33 PM

Hey guys, I haven't gotten a chance to reply as I was busy with work...

I went out to an empty parking lot with some buddies and practiced for a while. My throttle wheelies became consistant, but after a long time of trying to clutch them, I think I only got 5 to come up a tiny bit, but thats more than before...I think I'm starting to grasp the idea though - but it's cool, if it takes a year of practice it'd be better than a year on crutches due to no practice.

You guys are very cool - thanks for the help. I hope soon I can learn some more to get in more discussions - plus I'm keeping an eye out for Ohio get togethers so I can join in! thanks guys! :YEAH :YEAH :YEAH
Old 08-01-2004, 03:49 PM

Huge thanks

Hey guys - this thread went to the bottom, but I had to bring it back up to give a HUGE THANKS to everyone who replied...I have been hitting some local school parking lots on weekends and trying clutch wheelies...Everyone's advice worked, I can now consistantly get a clutch wheelie up...not to the balance point, but high enough to ride through 1st gear...I think that will satisfy the urge enough now until I feel comfortable enough to start other gears, and eventually stand ups...

Thanks again!! I feel like I know my bike even better than before, and these wheelies aren't scary and unpredictable like the bouncers - nice and smooth

THANKS!
Old 08-01-2004, 03:52 PM
Five636 RIP

five636 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Huge thanks

Nice!,

Originally Posted by vwbcart
Hey guys - this thread went to the bottom, but I had to bring it back up to give a HUGE THANKS to everyone who replied...I have been hitting some local school parking lots on weekends and trying clutch wheelies...Everyone's advice worked, I can now consistantly get a clutch wheelie up...not to the balance point, but high enough to ride through 1st gear...I think that will satisfy the urge enough now until I feel comfortable enough to start other gears, and eventually stand ups...

Thanks again!! I feel like I know my bike even better than before, and these wheelies aren't scary and unpredictable like the bouncers - nice and smooth

THANKS!
Old 08-02-2004, 12:08 AM
Regular StuntLifer

Re: Huge thanks

Originally Posted by Dela
Nice!,

Great job. It's all about time and practice. Keep up the good work and ride safe!