whats this grinding clunky chatter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 08:25 PM

Inkognigrow is an unknown quantity at this point
whats this grinding clunky chatter?

ok.. when I start my bike its a 96 CBR 600 F3. when its cold I hear like sound comming from the head.. It does it for like 5 seconds quits for 5 does it for 5 quits for 5... Now it sounds like If I where to hold card in a fan or something but more gritty almost like a loose rocker arm on a car... like it gets faster when I rev.. Im almost sure this sound goes completly away when Its warm

How much is It genrally to get the valves adjusted or is it a at home project? Ive done cam swaps in cars and some pretty tidieus jobs but have no clue with these little inline 4's
Old 06-23-2004, 08:51 PM

Re: whats this grinding clunky chatter?

could it be timing chain adjuster noise?
Old 06-23-2004, 09:11 PM

Joey D is a decent person

Originally Posted by Inkognigrow
could it be timing chain adjuster noise?

Does it sound like it's coming from the right side of the bike?
Mine just started doing the same thing.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:24 PM

im not sure I didnt try and pin point it... but Im scarred.. cause I cant afford to fix the thing... hoping its something minor..

It doesnt seem to be affecting the bike or the performance.. Just makes me feel like Im sitting on junk
Old 06-23-2004, 11:46 PM

OrganDonor is an unknown quantity at this point

Hondas eat cam chain tensioners, cheap part, just a PIA to change. Sounds like that is your problem, fix it before it breaks or you will be buying an engine instead.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:00 AM

BostonBadBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by OrganDonor
Hondas eat cam chain tensioners, cheap part, just a PIA to change. Sounds like that is your problem, fix it before it breaks or you will be buying an engine instead.

soounds right, my buddy just changed one on his honda sounded like the same thing
Old 06-24-2004, 12:16 AM

Graffiti is an unknown quantity at this point

The CTT problem happens to so many hondas it's not even funny. I have a F4i and when I'm around 4500-6000 rpms it sounds as though there is ball bearings smashing around at the front of my bike. I've read up on it and the best bet to fix to the problem is to buy a "Manual CTT" If you go with anything else the problem will come back. I've heard too many stories of guys getting another CTT from Honda or another automatic one that the same problem comes back. So make sure you get the Manual Cam Chain Tensioner Check out the Honda forums on the net aswell as I havn't heard of anyone having any problems with the CTT other than it making a hell of a lot of noise.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:42 AM

OrganDonor is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Graffiti
The CTT problem happens to so many hondas it's not even funny. I have a F4i and when I'm around 4500-6000 rpms it sounds as though there is ball bearings smashing around at the front of my bike. I've read up on it and the best bet to fix to the problem is to buy a "Manual CTT" If you go with anything else the problem will come back. I've heard too many stories of guys getting another CTT from Honda or another automatic one that the same problem comes back. So make sure you get the Manual Cam Chain Tensioner Check out the Honda forums on the net aswell as I havn't heard of anyone having any problems with the CTT other than it making a hell of a lot of noise.
When they break, pistons hit valves. Swap it out myfriend, he is right about the manual CTT, but even they fail, I have about 90,000 miles on my F1, and I think I have changed it 6 times