Is it supposed to do that?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 06:22 PM

ice_cold_g is an unknown quantity at this point
Is it supposed to do that?

I did a couple of wheelies recently and I know they have been higher than my previous attempts so thats good. But my question is that when I land them then it feels like my front jumps back up off the ground. I know I'm coming down pretty hard so that cant be all that good but it seems to be rebounding kinda high. Could that just be me or is it possible to that it is coming off the ground again on the rebound? I may be giving it gas still on the drop too which could cause it. What do ya think? And any suggestions to get a smoother landing? Thanks All!

Ice
Old 06-22-2004, 06:30 PM

Luke is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Is it supposed to do that?

for one, what are you riding?

for two, you can make for smoother landing's by this:
As soon as you feel the wheel starting to drift back to land, give it a little gas, this will keep it from slamming back down. Another way, is if your in 1st and rolling them out not at balance point, and you feel the tire starting to come back to earth, shift it into 2nd and this will let it float down without slamming down from the compression of 1st.

I seriously dont think your tire is "bouncing" back into the air. Ive mousetrapped many wheelies and never had the tire come back up unless I wacked the gas again. Be smooth with your throttle hand.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:39 PM
Registered Stunter

Metzger is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ice_cold_g
Could that just be me or is it possible to that it is coming off the ground again on the rebound? Ice
The suspension is probably just expanding. I doubt the wheel is coming up again. Just try to come down from a wheelie while on the gas, not engine braking.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:59 PM

KungFu954 is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually,

Have you made any suspension adjustments? I had a friend of mine with a 02 Gixxer 1000 that made some slight front fork adjustments and his tire would bounce right back into a wheelie after coming down hard. might be your set up.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:20 PM
Old School

Ice Mike is an unknown quantity at this point

Keep your front wheel straight, I've come down so crossed up before that it didn't even start slapping, the front wheel just hopped up, and came back down crossed in the opposite direction, which made it hop back again, and the whole time the rear wheel was sliding back and forth in the road. I don't know how the hell I saved it. My friends told me the whole ordeal lasted 6 or 7 seconds. Something I used to do before I could consistently ride a stand-up was try to go as far as I possibly could, and set it down at the last second before I ran off the road, or hit something. This made me get off of the gas, and slam the front end down. The best tactic to bringing a wheelie down is to know exactly when you want to bring it down, and plan for it for a second or so. very slightly tap the break, and just barely let off of the gas. should come down smooth as a feather. It's easier to be smooth at lower RPMs and speed, so work on keepin' em at 65 MPH or slower in 2nd.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:53 PM

ice_cold_g is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry i forgot to post it. But I ride a 02 TLR. Everything is stock setup. I am doing them in first at about 20mph. I am only bringing it up for a couple of seconds. Not really riding them out. Just up like 2-3secs. then back down. I did like the post about crossed up part. I have done that a couple of times. Also it could be the rebound. I could just be feeling the forks rebound back and it seems like its really high. Anyway thanks for the suggestions about giving it a little gas on the way down. I'll try it with some lookouts.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:09 PM
Old School

Ice Mike is an unknown quantity at this point

The TLR should come up in second with stock gearing and engine, but the gearing is stupidly tall on the bike. I'de go up at least three in the back, it took me forever to learn to bring it up at low RPMS in 2nd with stock gearing. I'de preload, and clutch it up at 4,500 RPMs in 2nd and about 35 mph, but figuring out the technique took me forever.