Rear Sprockets

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 06:17 PM

R6 on one is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Rear Sprockets

Hey guys I'm thinking about buying a rear sprocket for my 99 R6. I want to get something that will help with my wheelies and still make it fun to ride on the streets with the boys. I know that a bigger sprocket will make it easier to wheelie, witch I don't have a problem with now I just want to slow them down some. Also I'm working on smoothing out my throttle control when doing wheelies. Will a larger sprocket make the wheelie harder to control? As in making more twitchy when modulating the throttle, or will it be about the same as it is now with the stock gearing but only slower? Also what size sprocket should I get? I want to learn slow wheelies but I also would like to be able to do fast wheelies too. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:47 PM

HavokCycle is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Rear Sprockets

yeah, when you go up it makes it a lil more twitchy. i had -1/+2 on my gix six, and i loved it. didnt hurt the top much either
Old 06-22-2004, 08:40 PM

KawZX6 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was talking to my kaw dealer over hear and he said you dont need a bigger rear sprocket to do wheelies and stuff lol he said to get a K&N filter and a Ignition Advancer to do that stuff lol cause im looking for a 45 tooth sprocket and i cant find one
Old 06-22-2004, 09:02 PM

R6 on one is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't need it to do wheelies. I can do them just fine. I just want to be able to get to the balance point faster with out gaining much speed. Now when I clutch up a wheelie I like to be in second gear going around 30-40MPH by the time it gets up near the balance point I'm going about 60-65MPH. I want to be able to clutch up around 20mph to get to the BP around 30-40mph. I don't like to do wheelies in first gear because of how touchy the throttle is. So would a -1/+5 combo make second gear feel more like first? If so Should I start practicing wheelies in first gear to help with my throttle control?
Old 06-22-2004, 11:44 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

skitchR6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by R6 on one
I don't need it to do wheelies. I can do them just fine. I just want to be able to get to the balance point faster with out gaining much speed. Now when I clutch up a wheelie I like to be in second gear going around 30-40MPH by the time it gets up near the balance point I'm going about 60-65MPH. I want to be able to clutch up around 20mph to get to the BP around 30-40mph. I don't like to do wheelies in first gear because of how touchy the throttle is. So would a -1/+5 combo make second gear feel more like first? If so Should I start practicing wheelies in first gear to help with my throttle control?
I don't see why you would need to change sprockets at all if you are not doing any slow stuff... even then you don't really need them, just makes it easier... I can rock slow stuff on my R6 with stock gearing... about 7-8 mph... just gotta turn the idle up to about 5k to keep the damn wheel in the air... just work on throttle and brake control and you should be fine...
Old 06-22-2004, 11:50 PM
Old School

Ice Mike is an unknown quantity at this point

I'de just gear it enough to be smooth and consistent in second. I have a friend with a gix six that has -2 +5 and he can do some pretty slow stand-ups in second. I think like 30-40MPH. Bit I'de just try -0+3 or maybe a bit more. As long as you can bring it up at fairly low RPMs in 2nd, probably still have to preload kinda hard, but I have never stunted an R6. One thing that I realized is that if you go down in the front, your rear wheel has a higher tennancy to spin instead of grip and lift the front wheel.