Need TTR wheelie advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 04:07 PM

JonnyJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Need TTR wheelie advice

I just traded my yz80 for a 125L ttr today. I need some advice on how to wheelie it. With the yz80 I could just power it up in first or second right at the powerband. I tried some different stuff with the TTR and got it up but couldn't really ride them out. I was rolling real REAL slow in first or second and flicking it open. I also tried clutching it up ( just droping it) in first and second again at a real slow roll. When ever I had any kind of speed I couldn't get it to come up.

Whats the best/most common technique on these bikes? I saw the 256 North video and they make it look like cake to wheelie these things...

Jon
Old 03-14-2004, 12:36 PM

Re: Need TTR wheelie advice

Doesn't anyone do wheelies on ttr's??? Any help would be appreciated.

Jon
Old 03-14-2004, 01:44 PM

Hooligan_04 is an unknown quantity at this point

those things wheelie? Jesus. That's the bike I rode for the motorcycle class, and the front tire didn't think about coming off the ground, lol.

I don't remember if it has buddy pegs or not, but if so, put your left foot back, bounce the suspension a little bit and hit some clutch. It oughta come up pretty easy, I know that this cow of a 600R I've got does in 2nd pretty easy through that method.
Old 03-14-2004, 03:38 PM

No buddy pegs. I was thinking about trying to put some bmx pegs on the rear axle though. I don't have a problem poping it up. But, I can't get it high enough to get to the BP. If I pop the clutch in 1st from a stop it will go up high enough that i can ride it for a little bit. But otherwise it just comes up and goes down. I'm not sure how strong the clutch is or wether I should be trying to clutch it up or not. If I try and power it up I have to give the bars a big jerk and that usually upsets my side to side balance.

Jon
Old 03-15-2004, 02:37 PM

Still looking for some help?
Old 03-15-2004, 04:19 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Brett256 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JonnyGSXR
Still looking for some help?
Did you get my PM Jon? Thought I replied back earlier
Old 03-15-2004, 04:36 PM

No I didn't 91vempo. Could ya try and send it again???
Old 03-15-2004, 05:00 PM

No I didn't 91vempo. Could ya try and send it again???
Sorry, must have screwed up sending it. Doesn't show up in my sent PM's ...Here ya go:

The first thing I would suggest is dumping the dirt tires for some street or trials tires. We are running streets (let me know if you need to know the exact sizes) Your gonna have problems with the knobby's flexing on ya... bikes gonna want to fall sideways at lower speeds no matter what tire pressure you got plus you won't be able to do circles/rolling endos.

We always clutch up (we're hard on em too and haven't had any clutch issues...seem to be pretty bulletproof) You can clutch em up in 1st-3rd gear easily. 4th gear will take clutching and pulling on the bars. 5th gear takes bouncing, pulling, clutching. Our sprockets are stock.

You'll notice the BP is pretty high on these bastards so your gonna have to get it up high as quickly as possible. If you don't it's gonna run into the upper RPM's and run out of usable power. For starters I'd practice clutching near the bottom of 2nd gear. You're gonna have to give it a good handfull of gas as the clutch is engaging...just take it slow at first though and remember to back off the gas as the bike is nearing the BP (cover the rear brake too)....you'll get the hang of it after some practice. We weren't doing it the first day or even the first week very successfully so remember it just takes time.

Get ride of the dirtbike tires if possible!
Old 03-15-2004, 05:11 PM

Do you dump the clutch or do you try and slip it? I haven't found a good legal place to ride on pavement yet so I had been planning on leaving the stock dirt tires on. Even so, do you have a good site to buy tires and what sizes do you run?

Also, I saw in your vids one guy had a peg on the back left swingarm. Did he weld it on? I am attempting to put a peg on the rear axle but I am having a hell of a time drilling out hole in the stainless peg.

Thanks a bunch for the info man! Jon
Old 03-15-2004, 05:14 PM

I was thinking about trying to put some bmx pegs on the rear axle though.
Jon
Go get a set of BMX pegs from wal-mart ($10)

We each put one on the left side of the swingarm. I believe we drilled a hole through either the 'Y' on the Yamaha sticker or the 'A' (can't remember) all the way through. Secure it with bolt, lock washer and nut. It's a little uncomfortable since the exhaust is ran down the left side of the bike...but it works.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:19 PM

slipping the clutch.. It just take a good amount of gas while it's engaging. I'll get back to you with the tire sizes.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:49 PM

Did you ever find those tire sizes or a place to pick them up?

I drove around town today till I found a nice parking lot that the owners would let me drive in. I'm having no problem getting it up to the bp now, just have to give it enough gas and slip the clutch. I had almost no pressure in the rear tire but I kept falling to the side. I got half way across the parking lot a few times. All three of us that were ridding the ttr kept falling to the left. I think a street tire would help alot. Plus endos are impossible with the dirt tire on pavement.

Jon
Old 03-17-2004, 04:52 PM

Did you ever find those tire sizes or a place to pick them up?

I drove around town today till I found a nice parking lot that the owners would let me drive in. I'm having no problem getting it up to the bp now, just have to give it enough gas and slip the clutch. I had almost no pressure in the rear tire but I kept falling to the side. I got half way across the parking lot a few times. All three of us that were ridding the ttr kept falling to the left. I think a street tire would help alot. Plus endos are impossible with the dirt tire on pavement.

Jon
I hear ya dude.. I think the dirt tires are actually worse with low pressure. I'll have those tire sizes to you tonight!
Old 03-17-2004, 05:16 PM

One more question i just remembered. I drilled the swingarm and put a peg on the left side. My freaking kickstand hits it now. I don't see how i could have put it any farther back to clear it. What did you guys do just ditch the kickstands? I was thinking about cutting mine and the rewelding the bottom on.

Jon
Old 03-17-2004, 05:43 PM

Front tire:

Kings Tire KT932 "100/90-19"

18-20psi

Rear tire:

Dunlop Gold Seal K127 "4.60-16"

16-20psi

These are both "tubeless" tires. You will still have to run tubes though (your stock tubes are fine) Also make sure to retain your bead locks on both wheels. The front tire is easy to change out. The rear tire on the other hand is a pain in the *** due to its width. I'd recommend having the rear done at a bike shop unless you and a friend are very strong and skilled with some tire spoons. It's worth the hassle though...these tires work awesome.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:44 PM

One more question i just remembered. I drilled the swingarm and put a peg on the left side. My freaking kickstand hits it now. I don't see how i could have put it any farther back to clear it. What did you guys do just ditch the kickstands? I was thinking about cutting mine and the rewelding the bottom on.

Jon
Yeah we ran into the same problem...just ended up taking the kickstand off.