Advantage to Upside Down forks

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 08:00 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Tenny is an unknown quantity at this point
Advantage to Upside Down forks

all of the newer bikes are running thier forks upside down. what is the advantage to this? i dont quite understand how it would be dif.
thanks
Old 01-29-2004, 08:59 PM

955iDisastar is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Advantage to Upside Down forks

ya know the "easier to push than to pull" rule.....

Basically they give better road action/feel without all the travell, making them stiffer but softer....

if that makes any sence....
Old 01-29-2004, 09:22 PM

wangsta6 is a decent person

i dont know but i wanna switch my r6 forks for r1 forks....i think i would have to change springs or something to deal with the weight diffrence..personnaly i think there wouldnt be as much force on the seals from wheelies and stoppies with it being lower. if you think about the leverage deally thing
Old 01-29-2004, 10:28 PM
Likes to poop

Mr. Negative is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tenny44
all of the newer bikes are running thier forks upside down. what is the advantage to this? i dont quite understand how it would be dif.
thanks
They make it a pain in the *** to change the seals. Thats the differance I understand.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:04 AM

Highdiver is an unknown quantity at this point

The reasen thay are using them is becuase thay are more rigid then standered forks. The triple on usidedown forks are clamped on to the outer forktube which are stronger just becuase thay are a larger diameter.

Originally Posted by wangsta6
i dont know but i wanna switch my r6 forks for r1 forks....i think i would have to change springs or something to deal with the weight diffrence..personnaly i think there wouldnt be as much force on the seals from wheelies and stoppies with it being lower. if you think about the leverage deally thing
I know a guy that did that. WHat you endup having to do is change the whole front end out from an R1. From what he said it was a giant pain in the ***. THere were parts that had to be muchined to fit. there are clearence problems becuase of the clipons mounting under the triple instead of on top. and various other stuff that you have to make fit.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:09 AM

Lotensin22 can only hope to improve

I want sideways forks...
Old 01-31-2004, 07:43 PM

twinisin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lotensin22
I want sideways forks...
And I want a fukin' lolly pop in a shape of a *****.
Inverted forks are stiffer 'cause of the larger diamater tubes. They also are lighter since the length of the stainless steel tubes is a lot shorter than on conventional forks that the tubes have to go through bottom trees and top. They suck when you have to fix them but they really suck when you have to buy them
Old 01-31-2004, 09:47 PM

Highdiver is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by twinisin
And I want a fukin' lolly pop in a shape of a *****.
Inverted forks are stiffer 'cause of the larger diamater tubes. They also are lighter since the length of the stainless steel tubes is a lot shorter than on conventional forks that the tubes have to go through bottom trees and top. They suck when you have to fix them but they really suck when you have to buy them
Afraid not. standered forks are lighter, Thats why most 600's don't use them. The wait disadvantage dosn't outway the need for stiffer forks.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:17 PM

twinisin is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Advantage to Upside Down forks

personaly I never weigh them but they seem a bit lighter. And yes, early GSXR600, and new ZX6R (wish I bought one) are nicely equiped with inverted forks. I guess it's a question for a tech. Standard forks are CHEAPER and so are the 600 bikes. Todays popularity puts a higher demand on a better and more competative product...so pretty soon all 600 bikes will be upgraded with inverted forks and under the seat pipes

Last edited by twinisin; 01-31-2004 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:26 PM

tequilagb is an unknown quantity at this point

The oil in inverted forks is hanging at the bottom of the top fork half. That makes it better because the fork seals are sitting in a constant bath of oil instead of oil being squirted/pushed up onto them. This results in longer life of fork seals, better feeling, and a few more wheelies
Old 02-03-2004, 10:31 AM
Gas'er!!

TEACH C6 will become famous soon enough

i dont know the answer but they are just plain better. just about every newer model bike has or has had them....the zx636 (my new bike) has them, all the big bore bikes have them, dirtbikes all have them (newer ones)...whatever the reason may be, they are just better....

now for stunting, it dont matter a bit....case i point, gorka rolling over 9 beans on RR forks,,,,not inverted

teach
Old 02-03-2004, 12:53 PM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

I think I know the deal with the weight. I think they have less unsprung weight than conventional forks. No, now I think its the other way around.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:10 PM
-G-

-G- is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe USD forks can mean you're more likey to break the frame if you stack it.
Because they're stiffer they're less likely to bend so transfer more of the force to the frame that holds them.
Old 02-03-2004, 03:38 PM
Gas'er!!

TEACH C6 will become famous soon enough

frame? as in the frame to the bike? forks will always bend/break before the frame does. unless you are saying the frame to the forks, which would be the fork tubes...
Old 02-03-2004, 04:19 PM

Beastyforever is an unknown quantity at this point

With upside down forks you have less unsprung weight, the unsprung 'part' will have less inertia, and will be easier to accelerate/move in any direction. This will help give the bike better suspention, as the unsprung 'part' will be able to move more swiftly and thus be in better contact with the ground when riding over any bumps etc.

Not sure I'm right, but I think that's why...

- Beasty