F4i wont start. I've done everything I can think of.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 08:23 PM

ThePrimeR6 is a decent person
Re: F4i wont start. I've done everything I can think of.

Update:

I went by the FSM on how to diagnose this problem and it said check peak voltage on cam pulse generator, ignition pulse generator and the yellow wire on the grey plug side that goes to the ECM. the ignition pulse and cam pulse should get a minimum of .7V and I forgot about the yellow wire that goes to ECM but I never got any reading on all three while cranking and not cranking. So I have no idea what is going on. Please help!!!!!!!
Old 10-04-2010, 10:12 PM

lakfuewoiuo is a decent person

Everything is true!
Go in look look: http://www.bizboysell.com
Believe that you may need.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by lakfuewoiuo
Everything is true!
Go in look look: http://www.bizboysell.com
Believe that you may need.

Anyways.....

Some real help please.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:30 AM

GORBO is a decent person

im still thinking ignition, Roger is right its not uncommon with F4is ,

Ive also had one of the four soudered leads break loose from their soudering in my throttle housing before, so I would check that, take the two screws out and the single retainer screw out of the bottom half taht holds a small metal bracket in place then look at the 4 soudered leads and make sure none of them have not broken free
Old 10-05-2010, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by GORBO
im still thinking ignition, Roger is right its not uncommon with F4is ,

Ive also had one of the four soudered leads break loose from their soudering in my throttle housing before, so I would check that, take the two screws out and the single retainer screw out of the bottom half taht holds a small metal bracket in place then look at the 4 soudered leads and make sure none of them have not broken free
Not broken and I'm getting voltage and it's all good.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:02 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by ThePrimeR6
Not broken and I'm getting voltage and it's all good.
you say you are getting voltage but does one of the wires have less voltage than the others ? one of them is supposed to be lower than the rest to let the computer know the key is being used and the bike is not being hot wired , if that one wire isnt at the lower voltage the computer wont let the bike start
Old 10-05-2010, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by old man roger
you say you are getting voltage but does one of the wires have less voltage than the others ? one of them is supposed to be lower than the rest to let the computer know the key is being used and the bike is not being hot wired , if that one wire isnt at the lower voltage the computer wont let the bike start
Do you know what each wires voltage should be?
Old 10-05-2010, 04:33 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

Do you know what each wires voltage should be?
i dont remember the color but there are only a few wires coming out of the ignition switch if one of them doesnt read like 7 volts then the resistor is probably blown ..

most of the wires with power will be 12 volts but one should be lower , if all the wires with power are twelve volts then you know there is an issue .
Old 10-05-2010, 04:40 PM

i dont remember the color but there are only a few wires coming out of the ignition switch if one of them doesnt read like 7 volts then the resistor is probably blown ..

most of the wires with power will be 12 volts but one should be lower , if all the wires with power are twelve volts then you know there is an issue .
Ok thanks il check it again when I get home. Does the key have to be on?
Old 10-05-2010, 05:01 PM
also known as OMR

yes .
Old 10-05-2010, 09:47 PM

yes .

Ok so heres the results.

The Red/Black wire has 12 V

The Red wire has 12 V

The Blue/Orange wire has 12 V

And the Pink wire has 9.34 V

Then I checked the diode's volts.

The diode on one side read 12 V and the other side read 9.34 V

So looks like every things all good with ignition I assume.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:12 AM
also known as OMR

Ok so heres the results.

The Red/Black wire has 12 V

The Red wire has 12 V

The Blue/Orange wire has 12 V

And the Pink wire has 9.34 V

Then I checked the diode's volts.

The diode on one side read 12 V and the other side read 9.34 V

So looks like every things all good with ignition I assume.
yup i think youre right , i thought the voltage was supposed to be lower but usually if a resistor goes bad it wont have any voltage ..

i would have bet money too ..lol sorry
Old 10-06-2010, 11:22 AM

adichino is a decent person

sounds like it should work ...

dumb question though ... do you have your gas tank properly connected to the main wiring harness ?

try a buddy's ECU ... might be bad
Old 10-06-2010, 11:33 AM

yup i think youre right , i thought the voltage was supposed to be lower but usually if a resistor goes bad it wont have any voltage ..

i would have bet money too ..lol sorry
Lol it's ok. It was worth trying.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by adichino
sounds like it should work ...

dumb question though ... do you have your gas tank properly connected to the main wiring harness ?

try a buddy's ECU ... might be bad

I'll check to see if theres a bad connection. would that cause no spark?

And I don't have a friend with a f4i. I'm trying people on craigslist selling f4i's but they don't want to help. So it looks like I just have to wait until that comes in the mail.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:20 PM

adichino is a decent person

I'll check to see if theres a bad connection. would that cause no spark?

And I don't have a friend with a f4i. I'm trying people on craigslist selling f4i's but they don't want to help. So it looks like I just have to wait until that comes in the mail.
with the pump connected in the main harness try to prime the pump by attaching a probe (this is how you call it right? from the multimeter) on the brown wire (from main harness connector) and the other end (which goes into the multimeter) directly on the plus of the battery - it should prime for as long as you keep them connected
Old 10-08-2010, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by adichino
with the pump connected in the main harness try to prime the pump by attaching a probe (this is how you call it right? from the multimeter) on the brown wire (from main harness connector) and the other end (which goes into the multimeter) directly on the plus of the battery - it should prime for as long as you keep them connected
I installed a new ECM today and the bike fired up perfectly. I rode it around for a while then I put all fairings and stuff on and after I connected the headlights it wouldnt start anymore. I disconnected the headlights and still nothing. I guess I blew it again. I dont get it tho because the headlight wires dont go to the ecm.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:00 AM
also known as OMR

I installed a new ECM today and the bike fired up perfectly. I rode it around for a while then I put all fairings and stuff on and after I connected the headlights it wouldnt start anymore. I disconnected the headlights and still nothing. I guess I blew it again. I dont get it tho because the headlight wires dont go to the ecm.
it fried the new computer ? are you sure it didnt just blow the main 30 amp fuse ?

kawi head light wiring is funky as hell , the head light doesnt turn on with the key it turns on when you hit the start button so it may actually go through the computer
Old 10-08-2010, 12:59 PM

it fried the new computer ? are you sure it didnt just blow the main 30 amp fuse ?

kawi head light wiring is funky as hell , the head light doesnt turn on with the key it turns on when you hit the start button so it may actually go through the computer
Lol ok false alarm I didnt blow the new ECM. I accidently snipped a green wire that wasn't supposed to be snipped

But yea new ECM did the trick. Bike runs beautifully and I got all lights working again.

So thanks to everyone who helped and hopefully this will help others with the same problem.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:41 PM
also known as OMR

glad you figured it out

Quick Reply: F4i wont start. I've done everything I can think of.