towing a bike, with rear wheel on the ground?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 07:23 PM
awww **** motorcycles!

paragus is a name known to allparagus is a name known to allparagus is a name known to allparagus is a name known to allparagus is a name known to allparagus is a name known to all
Re: towing a bike, with rear wheel on the ground?

Originally Posted by verticaljay
Why wouldn't sliding the axle forward, pulling chain off sprocket and tieing it out of the way work. That's what I was thinking of doing. not removing the master.
thats what i was thinking...

Originally Posted by old man roger
other then less wear and tear on the chain and sprockets i dont see why you would take your chain off
it will make him sleep easier and eliminate the thought of possibly doing work on the transmission.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:56 PM
myspace.com/deanellis

Dean Ellis is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by OnEWhEeLNEAL
Make one of these.

+1 or just buy one the arent expensive. cheaper than a trailer
Old 07-16-2009, 08:04 PM
NealFoReal

OnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by Dean Ellis
+1 or just buy one the arent expensive. cheaper than a trailer
word and they work well and easy to load. just make sure you put the bike in gear
Old 07-16-2009, 08:23 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by OnEWhEeLNEAL
And I thought you had a truck
if I had a truck, don't you think I'd just load my bike in the bed

Old 07-17-2009, 08:28 PM
FTP

classic customs is a decent person

Originally Posted by paragus
thats what i was thinking...

it will make him sleep easier and eliminate the thought of possibly doing work on the transmission.

OMR is correct in neutral its never going to hurt anything. just normal wear on the chain and sprocket
Old 07-17-2009, 08:30 PM
FTP

classic customs is a decent person

Originally Posted by Towlieee

were do you live bro. there is a small cheap trailor on my street for sale be perfect. i was thinking of buying it but i just haul in my bed. i have a habit of forgetting i have a trailor and bad stuff happens
Old 07-17-2009, 10:44 PM

ToKwik is an unknown quantity at this point

If it was me, I would spend my time and money making a small trailer or buying one.

Couple reasons...

In theory, towing a bike in neutral should have no ill effects.
But the potential does exist that if something did go wrong, and somehow the bike did find it's way into gear, than real bad things happen. Possible... Yes. Probable... No.
At the very least, I would be in favor or removing the chain and tying it away from the rear wheel.

The bigger problem I see is stability.
Have you ever tried to put a bike on a front stand without a rear stand? Seriously unstable and quite a handfull. The bike wants to twist and torque in two different directions at the same time. Give it a shot and you'll see what I mean.

Trying to design a contraption that encompasses both longitudinal and lateral stability might prove to be more trouble than it's worth.

Cheapest, and probably best solution is probably going to be finding a used lightweight trailer and modifying it to suit your needs.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:53 PM
NealFoReal

OnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by Towlieee

Truck - not pickup
Old 07-18-2009, 12:14 AM

zookiezook is a decent person

really ? why ?
+1 .. ur gonna put more strain on in gear
Old 07-18-2009, 03:00 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

niner is an engineer so i figured he may know some thing we arent thinking about
Old 07-20-2009, 02:42 AM

charkly is a decent person

harbour freight tools. 4x8 trailer COMPLETE just needs assembly (and a sheet of plywood for a deck) is like 180 bucks! spring for the one with 12" wheels, 8" isnt made for highway speeds mang.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42709

wait till they go on sale again-I got one for under 200 before?

Last edited by charkly; 07-20-2009 at 02:44 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:17 AM
Squid Supreme

stick1300 will become famous soon enough

i made mine out of an old jetski trailer
So did my roomie. His is a little more fancy than yours though lol
Old 07-20-2009, 03:20 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by stick1300
So did my roomie. His is a little more fancy than yours though lol
im kind of a function over form guy ..lol [thats code for lazy ]
Old 07-29-2009, 09:03 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

lol ok so I guess im going through with it

Got a bunch of free steel, free expanded steel, and spent $4 on one piece of angle iron
Also $12 on a locking pin for my hitch
and about $10 on bolts/washers for my trailer hitch and my license plate.. Still need to purchase wires to wire my car up for a trailer, and need to purchase a new set of ratchet straps, and some tow chains with master locks (don't want my **** getting jacked)

Still need to finish my bike carrier (it's getting a lot more bracing).. But my hitch is almost complete.. Just need to weld on some hooks for chains, and paint it

test fitting my friends gixxer, need to trim the bottom plate a good 4-8"

hitch on my car

And a pic of where my license plate will bolt, not too bad looking, definitely looks better then the hitches you can by for my car, they all hang BELOW the bumper
Old 07-29-2009, 10:47 PM

got my bike holder done
not bad for nearly free

Old 07-29-2009, 11:01 PM

slickrick315 is a jewel in the roughslickrick315 is a jewel in the roughslickrick315 is a jewel in the roughslickrick315 is a jewel in the rough

open the trunk stuff the front tire in strap her down and go for it
Old 08-01-2009, 06:03 PM

27mpg stunt tow vehicle and only have to ride it up a 1 foot ramp to load it

Old 08-01-2009, 06:09 PM
also known as OMR

lol i like the plate on the bike
Old 08-01-2009, 06:25 PM
"Keep Your F4i's IDIOTS"

50slut will become famous soon enough

that looks funny as hell at least paint your car to match your bike and i'd take the chain off bike when its in tow
Old 08-01-2009, 06:55 PM

ToKwik is an unknown quantity at this point

Very ingenious.

Well done.

I'm curious about the stability. Does it want to lean side to side at all?

Quick Reply: towing a bike, with rear wheel on the ground?