F4i not starting when warmed up

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 03:18 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: F4i not starting when warmed up

Originally Posted by OnEWhEeLNEAL
sometimes it starts and sometimes it doesnt. it used to only not wanna start when hot but not sometimes it starts from a cold start and sometimes it doesnt. I dont know
i know some one already said this and im starting to agree with them ......heres is what a google search came up with ....

Question
My didn't ride my cbr for a couple weeks and when I went out to start it, the starter rolled as normal a few times then sounded slightly different. Subsequent tries resulted in battey drain. I put it on the tricke charger for a while then tried again. The starter spun much faster and there seems to be fuel and compression I assumed from the rich smelling air exiting from the exhaust. It seems there is no spark. I checked the fuses under the seat and they are all fine and making good contact. The headlights and gauges are as normal as is everything else with the bike. The bike was making a rattling sound coming from the side engine case while in first gear that was attributed to a failing cam chain tensioner that is notorious with this model year. Thanks for the help.
Seth
fullpin@hotmail.com

if(zs>0){w(''+x2+'#b">Get the answer below
');zSB(1,3);w('
')}Answer
Hi Seth,

I need to inspect the CBR and perform a few tests to accurately diagnose the problem(s).

I suspect a problem with the starter clutch assy.

I recommend having a local Honda tech inspect the problem for you. Ask for an estimate of repairs. Once you know the source of the problem, consider making the repairs yourself.

Respectfully,
Mark Shively
Old 11-26-2008, 03:19 AM
NealFoReal

OnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by I_throw_nickels
i mean where the starter wires are connected on the starter did you put the volt meter on there
nope. i had the volt meter on the battery which reads around 12.9x. Started the bike and it drops a lot then works it way back to 14.2x. On Mikes bike we did the same thing and his drops 2.xx and then works it way back to 14.2x. Mine dropped to 4.xx and then jumped back up so it takes a lot more to start my motor then his was the conclusion of that test. But thats not what you mean, right? you mean actually having the volt meter on the starter itself? I wouldnt be able to start the bike then coz to get to the starter you have to take off the airbox, tb's & thermostat housing
Old 11-26-2008, 03:21 AM
NealFoReal

OnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by old man roger
i know some one already said this and im starting to agree with them ......heres is what a google search came up with ....
So what should I replace the starter clutch assembly and see if that does it?
Old 11-26-2008, 03:22 AM

I_throw_nickels is a decent person

nope. i had the volt meter on the battery which reads around 12.9x. Started the bike and it drops a lot then works it way back to 14.2x. On Mikes bike we did the same thing and his drops 2.xx and then works it way back to 14.2x. Mine dropped to 4.xx and then jumped back up so it takes a lot more to start my motor then his was the conclusion of that test. But thats not what you mean, right? you mean actually having the volt meter on the starter itself? I wouldnt be able to start the bike then coz to get to the starter you have to take off the airbox, tb's & thermostat housing

i think thats the only way to figure out if your getn enough power to the starter if you could see if its getn enough power then maybe you could track the problem
Old 11-26-2008, 03:23 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

this is what it looks like

http://www.google.com/product_url?q=...hl=en&sa=title
Old 11-26-2008, 03:23 AM
NealFoReal

i think thats the only way to figure out if your getn enough power to the starter if you could see if its getn enough power then maybe you could track the problem
Hmmmm but how would I try to start it if everythings off the bike
Old 11-26-2008, 03:25 AM
also known as OMR

So what should I replace the starter clutch assembly and see if that does it?
i would probably give it a try after i was sure it wasn't an electrical problem , i mean you have one there already
Old 11-26-2008, 03:25 AM
NealFoReal

Yeah Im looking in the manual right now. So thats the next thing I'll try. What about what I posted above about how when I start my bike it drops about 8 volts compared to Mikes bike dropping 2 or 3 volts. That doesnt make any sense right?
Old 11-26-2008, 03:26 AM
also known as OMR

Yeah Im looking in the manual right now. So thats the next thing I'll try. What about what I posted above about how when I start my bike it drops about 8 volts compared to Mikes bike dropping 2 or 3 volts. That doesnt make any sense right?
the starter clutch could be causing it or like i said before you have a bad connection or wire
Old 11-26-2008, 03:26 AM

I_throw_nickels is a decent person

Hmmmm but how would I try to start it if everythings off the bike

i dont even think that will matter bcuz it'll push the same voltage either way....you're just going to turn it over to see how much voltage its getn
Old 11-26-2008, 03:28 AM
NealFoReal

the starter clutch could be causing it or like i said before you have a bad connection or wire
okay tomorrows swap the starter clutch day.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:30 AM
NealFoReal

i dont even think that will matter bcuz it'll push the same voltage either way....you're just going to turn it over to see how much voltage its getn
and thats another thing i could try. hmmm which to try first. I'll probably try the starter clutch first since it looks easier to get to.

Omar, should I replace the whole flywheel, driven gear, clutch outerplate, sprag clutch and everything or just the driven gear?
Old 11-26-2008, 03:30 AM
also known as OMR

okay tomorrows swap the starter clutch day.
pretty sure you need a special tool to get the stator off , i think you need to take off the stator to get to the starter clutch
Old 11-26-2008, 03:31 AM
also known as OMR

and thats another thing i could try. hmmm which to try first. I'll probably try the starter clutch first since it looks easier to get to.

Omar, should I replace the whole flywheel, driven gear, clutch outerplate, sprag clutch and everything or just the driven gear?
change it all
Old 11-26-2008, 03:31 AM
NealFoReal

pretty sure you need a special tool to get the stator off , i think you need to take off the stator to get to the starter clutch
Doesnt look like it from the manual. I'll post it up to see what you think. Hold up.

change it all
Okay.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:33 AM
NealFoReal

Lemme re read this.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:39 AM
NealFoReal

The stator is on the inside of the cover. Remove the cover and the stator is attached to the cover. Nah it doesnt look like you need to remove the stator. Lemme get the manual pages up here just to make sure.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:41 AM
also known as OMR

The stator is on the inside of the cover. Remove the cover and the stator is attached to the cover. Nah it doesnt look like you need to remove the stator. Lemme get the manual pages up here just to make sure.
my bad i meant the magnet that the stator works with
Old 11-26-2008, 03:49 AM
NealFoReal

Old 11-26-2008, 03:51 AM
NealFoReal

my bad i meant the magnet that the stator works with
Okay. I know its kinda hard to see the pictures and text in what I just posted but the only special tool theyre talkin about is the flywheel holder which says it commercially available and I can pick up anywhere

Quick Reply: F4i not starting when warmed up