02 f4i...idle inconsistant

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 05:52 AM

DirtyToes is a decent person
02 f4i...idle inconsistant

i have the idle set to 1.3k

has kleen air mod

1. when its sitting at idle redlight/kickstand....it sometimes drops to 0.7k and after 30 seconds it dies...but i can start it right up.
2. when i come to a red light, the idle stops over 1.3k , sometimes 1.7k, then slowly drops.

cleaned thek&n air filter, installed new spark plus, charged the battery, checked all the hoses.

what am i missing?

p.s. i don't think this affects the issue above but when the bike is at idle, it ticks.."clank clank clank clank"...but it goes away if i pull in the clutch lever....sounds like the clutch basket or the clutch plates are loose and are slapping against each other.

Last edited by DirtyToes; 11-18-2008 at 05:55 AM.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:18 PM
F*(K Yut Uggh

287ridah is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 02 f4i...idle inconsistant

Did check all the vac hoses?
Did you check the emission hose?
while bike is running you can unplugg the vac line to the fuel pressure regulator to see if its leaking. If you see any fluid from the vac side (regulator) then your pressure reg is bad.
Might be time for a new fuel filter.
Make sure your throttle body isnt propped up from previous crash or something.
I need to check the other threads for other possible causes.....
Old 11-18-2008, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by 287ridah
1.Did check all the vac hoses?
2. Did you check the emission hose?
3.while bike is running you can unplugg the vac line to the fuel pressure regulator to see if its leaking. If you see any fluid from the vac side (regulator) then your pressure reg is bad.
4. Might be time for a new fuel filter.
5. Make sure your throttle body isnt propped up from previous crash or something.
I need to check the other threads for other possible causes.....
1. yes
2. if u mean the ones going to the smog and back, yes.
3. where is this?
4. you mean the metal spunge thing in the fuel pump?
5. will check.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:36 PM
F*(K Yut Uggh

287ridah is an unknown quantity at this point

1.Did you try spraying carb cleaner at all the hoses coming off the throttle bodies while its running?
2.cool.
3.The fuel filter looking thing on the TB fuel rail. The end pointing down has a spout that connects to one of the vac lines. The other end is the return line to the tank. While the bikes running, unplug the vac line side from the Fuel pressure regulator, if you see gas then its not working properly.
4. No theres a fuel filter clamped to the fuel pump. Its the none service kind. The manual has a way to check fuel pump flow. You unplug the fuel return line and jump to wires at the fuel pump relay, then check fluid amount within 60sec or something.
5. TB sync (this will prob help response but not directly related to your issue).
6. Im still searching...
Old 11-20-2008, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by 287ridah
1.Did you try spraying carb cleaner at all the hoses coming off the throttle bodies while its running?
2.cool.
3.The fuel filter looking thing on the TB fuel rail. The end pointing down has a spout that connects to one of the vac lines. The other end is the return line to the tank. While the bikes running, unplug the vac line side from the Fuel pressure regulator, if you see gas then its not working properly.
4. No theres a fuel filter clamped to the fuel pump. Its the none service kind. The manual has a way to check fuel pump flow. You unplug the fuel return line and jump to wires at the fuel pump relay, then check fluid amount within 60sec or something.
5. TB sync (this will prob help response but not directly related to your issue).
6. Im still searching...
havn't had a chance to check everything...however, there was a huge leak between the exaust and the collector. fixed that. and the 2 hoses going to the gas tank were disconnected (vent/overflow)...fixed those too

another thing, there is a very loud rattling noise at 7k rpm, hope i didn't strip any spark plugs...it sounds like one of them is loose in there. .

will hopefully have time to check the above this weekend.