gas cap leaks ive tried every thing

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 11:44 PM
I Love To Post!

Compton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud of
Re: gas cap leaks ive tried every thing

Originally Posted by DURTY-636
thats probably it. mine is not cut out it just takes a 1/2 hour to get gas but at least i do not have gas *** :YEAH
Thats what I was thinking. I cut some of mine out, but not much and it doesnt leak. The 2 guys I know that cut the entire thing out have leaking problems.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:50 PM
YUT UGH

Re-Micks is a decent person

Originally Posted by Compton82
Thats what I was thinking. I cut some of mine out, but not much and it doesnt leak. The 2 guys I know that cut the entire thing out have leaking problems.
yea it sucks.... doing tank tricks is a no no.... and some times sitting in the seat it will run down to my crotch..

so i try to stay away from that
Old 09-08-2008, 11:50 PM
YUT UGH

o just bought one of those caps... cost $44 bux shipped so will see how it works
Old 09-15-2008, 10:35 PM
YUT UGH

after market (aka off brand vortex) gas cap worked
Old 09-15-2008, 11:55 PM
WWW.Sickinnovations.com

Suicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Re-Micks
after market (aka off brand vortex) gas cap worked
Old 09-16-2008, 12:03 AM
da fiddy bitches!!!

50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute

thats probably it. mine is not cut out it just takes a 1/2 hour to get gas but at least i do not have gas *** :YEAH
+1 i hate when its time to go to the pump
Old 09-16-2008, 01:55 AM
YUT UGH

and the caps are nice as hell for 38 bux shipped

you cant beat it
Old 09-16-2008, 04:54 AM
WWW.Sickinnovations.com

Suicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to behold

and the caps are nice as hell for 38 bux shipped

you cant beat it
told you and way cheaper than a vortex
Old 09-16-2008, 04:59 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

damn thats super cheap too
Old 09-16-2008, 11:03 AM

babyJOKER is an unknown quantity at this point

u can still cut it out though thats what i did to my 2nd tank
Old 09-25-2008, 11:35 AM

Greg Mcglynn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MikeOnTheBike
great idea I almost did the same thing, you are very close to the fix but not quite.
I had the super leaker cap on my f4i after denting my tank and saw the front lip sticking up and was going to go with your idea, but I was thinking "WHY IS IT LIPPED UP IN THE FRONT??"

ANSWER; it's because when we smash in the tanks the rear mounting locations distort and GET LOWER than they are supposed to be in relation to the actual top of the hole causing the cap to sit all crooked when it's latched cause the back is actually too low.

SOLUTION just slip a washer UNDER each REAR mount hole under the cap and then tighten as usual and there should be no more gas ***.

NOTE might take some trial and error with washer thickness and numbers. I used 1 lock washer on the back of both bolts for mine.

Great idea!!! I did this last night. just used two 5mm flat washers and the same stock 2 rear cap bolts. My gas cap used to stick up a little bit bit now it is flush with the cap outer ring. I bet my leaking problems are over now I will ride tonight to make sure.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:09 PM
WWW.IDOLRIDERS.COM

MikeOnTheBike is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Greg Mcglynn
Great idea!!! I did this last night. just used two 5mm flat washers and the same stock 2 rear cap bolts. My gas cap used to stick up a little bit bit now it is flush with the cap outer ring. I bet my leaking problems are over now I will ride tonight to make sure.
sounds like it fixed it. that's what happens, the front of the cap sticks up higher than the ring, and then after the washers it makes it nice and flat and seals.

I came up with this when I painted my bike. I had the paint and couldn't afford a new cap yet and I was terrified of wrecking my new paint so I started looking at what to do to make the cap seal.

I was about to go with the long screw and washer holding the front down like the previous post till I figured this out.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:34 PM
IV
"bitchen"

IV will become famous soon enough

my vortex does not leak at all. but the stock one did not either

thats cuz you from the o-town podna! that dent only works if you live there!
Old 09-25-2008, 05:38 PM
IV
"bitchen"

IV will become famous soon enough

here it is pretty much the same dent as yours *****
that is the prettiest dent i have ever seen! i wanna kiss it
Old 09-28-2008, 06:38 AM
Whitetrash

JEFF4EZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by atl freestyle
EXACTLY
i dont know about your cap but just about every gas cap i have seen on a 636 it sticks up past the base, having that washer there will push the cap flush with the base when you tighten the screw. thus sealing it better. worked great for me
Originally Posted by atl freestyle
and yes.....i have to have a phillips head handy every time i fill up on gas, but its worth not getting gas ***
I'm doing this today. It looks like it would solve my problem as well
yea it sucks.... doing tank tricks is a no no.... and some times sitting in the seat it will run down to my crotch..

so i try to stay away from that
Yeah when I do poppastoppies gas leaks out the cap and into my dent and if i'm not paying attention and clutch up a wheelie it all spills onto my pants and i must say from personal experience gas *** is nothing compared to gas cockandballs.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:09 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

nothing worse then gas cockandballs....lol
Old 09-28-2008, 08:01 AM
back in the saddle again

binder929rr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JEFF4EZ
i must say from personal experience gas *** is nothing compared to gas cockandballs.
maybe it's God way of keeping you all from reproducing.

It's obviously a problem in the way you are denting. I've never had a tank leak once in my 7 years of denting tanks.

So far Tony and I have done the o-town dent on 2 of his 636's and no leaky. You have to make sure you leave enough space in front of the gas cap when it starts to angle backwards. if the bend is too close to the front of the cap then it distorts the tank and doesn't allow the cap to sit flat.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:25 AM
Whitetrash

JEFF4EZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by binder929rr
maybe it's God way of keeping you all from reproducing.

It's obviously a problem in the way you are denting. I've never had a tank leak once in my 7 years of denting tanks.

So far Tony and I have done the o-town dent on 2 of his 636's and no leaky. You have to make sure you leave enough space in front of the gas cap when it starts to angle backwards. if the bend is too close to the front of the cap then it distorts the tank and doesn't allow the cap to sit flat.
Obviously. I fucked up around the cap but I kind of figured that out when my ***** felt like they were on fire.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:54 AM

Greg Mcglynn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MikeOnTheBike
sounds like it fixed it. that's what happens, the front of the cap sticks up higher than the ring, and then after the washers it makes it nice and flat and seals.

I came up with this when I painted my bike. I had the paint and couldn't afford a new cap yet and I was terrified of wrecking my new paint so I started looking at what to do to make the cap seal.

I was about to go with the long screw and washer holding the front down like the previous post till I figured this out.

I rode yesterday and filled it to the brim. Not a single drop leaked out all dam day. You are my hero dude. I've been fighting gas *** and losing for years.
Now i'm on top thanks to you. I will post a pic of my tank later since the dent is different than all the ones on this thread.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:14 AM
back in the saddle again

binder929rr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JEFF4EZ
Obviously. I fucked up around the cap but I kind of figured that out when my ***** felt like they were on fire.
it happens....i know how things get crazy when adrenaline takes over and you have a mallet in your hand.