throttle cable nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 05:10 PM

DirtyToes is a decent person
throttle cable nightmare

so my throttle had too much freeplay and with the ?tensioner? adjusted all the way out, i still had alot of freeplay.

got under the airbox, and adjusted the tension down there, now if i turn the handlebars fully to the right, the throttle gets stuck and it doesn't turn.

i was thinking about getting new throttle cables, but that would make them evevn shorter (since they're not streched), AND it looks like a pain to install the cables on the throttle body side.

i spent 4 hours on this **** last night, till 2 ******* am, re-routed it every possible way.

anyone else ever have this problem?
Old 05-06-2008, 05:57 PM
It's too hot in here!!!

~CuPcAkE~ is a splendid one to behold~CuPcAkE~ is a splendid one to behold~CuPcAkE~ is a splendid one to behold~CuPcAkE~ is a splendid one to behold~CuPcAkE~ is a splendid one to behold~CuPcAkE~ is a splendid one to behold~CuPcAkE~ is a splendid one to behold
Re: throttle cable nightmare

Old 05-06-2008, 07:28 PM
AZ's Finest!

*Tanus* will become famous soon enough

make sure there routed right by checking another bike. then adj. it all the way in at the top, then adj. at throttle bodies until there is a 1/4 free play. then warm bike up and set idle to were you usually ride at. then adj. it at the top so there is just like a little slack @ 1/16 inch.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by cupcake

we're finally in the same thread.

Originally Posted by *Tanus*
make sure there routed right by checking another bike. then adj. it all the way in at the top, then adj. at throttle bodies until there is a 1/4 free play. then warm bike up and set idle to were you usually ride at. then adj. it at the top so there is just like a little slack @ 1/16 inch.
that's pretty much what i did last night, but the cable would still get pinched i turned the bars to the right

p.s. what does the idle have anything to do with the cable slack/tention?
Old 05-06-2008, 09:04 PM
AZ's Finest!

Originally Posted by DirtyToes

p.s. what does the idle have anything to do with the cable slack/tention?
because when you adj. idle(if you have 2nd idle cable) it tightens the throttle cables.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:28 PM

because when you adj. idle(if you have 2nd idle cable) it tightens the throttle cables.

duuuuuuuuuh

didn't think of that, but i'm purty sure i had it adjusted out when i was doing that. i'm gonna give it another go tonight.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:59 PM
AZ's Finest!

make sure to leave a little play, also if you still cant fix the problem try sliding the handlebar in a little,assuming you have aftermarket clip-ons
Old 05-07-2008, 01:14 AM

make sure to leave a little play, also if you still cant fix the problem try sliding the handlebar in a little,assuming you have aftermarket clip-ons
yea vortex ones, tried movin 'em in as well, results were the same, same kink at the same spot.

i had another idea, to increase the tension on the throttle body side for the RETURN cable, becaz, if that's right, it'll hold the throttle where i want it.

...but the problem with that was that i noticed there is no tention screw for the return cable, and i couldn't get the cable off to slide a nut threw it, i'm guessing you have to take the whole throttle bodies off to change cables?
Old 05-07-2008, 03:11 AM
AZ's Finest!

yea vortex ones, tried movin 'em in as well, results were the same, same kink at the same spot.

i had another idea, to increase the tension on the throttle body side for the RETURN cable, becaz, if that's right, it'll hold the throttle where i want it.

...but the problem with that was that i noticed there is no tention screw for the return cable, and i couldn't get the cable off to slide a nut threw it, i'm guessing you have to take the whole throttle bodies off to change cables?
your not suspose to adjust the return cable on the TB's, only the one on top.

mabey try rotating the throttle housing up or down. Also that gold guide thats right under the tank needs to be there.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:17 AM

your not suspose to adjust the return cable on the TB's, only the one on top.

mabey try rotating the throttle housing up or down. Also that gold guide thats right under the tank needs to be there.
yes, the guide (the one behind the neck of the frame is there.

not sure wat you mean by rotating the housing up/down.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:26 PM
AZ's Finest!

not sure wat you mean by rotating the housing up/down.
if you loosen the handlebar you can rotate it up or down,which will rotate the housing & on/off switch up or down.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:24 PM

if you loosen the handlebar you can rotate it up or down,which will rotate the housing & on/off switch up or down.
ohh i thought by housing you meant "throttle bodies". you meant the right side controls, right?

anyway, i tried that as well, took it off, and twisted it until the throttle cable is adjusted all the way out, for the return, you don't have to take it off, but at the same time, the return cable screw up top doesn't adjust the tention at all. not really sure why it's there. i guess it's just there to keep it from popping out.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:59 AM

switched the throttle and return cable with another used ones that i had from a throttle body i bought on ebay.

turned all the tensioners to their stock position, and it fixed the problem for the most part. it fixed my freeplay problem too. :YEAH

...there is still a small kink, but only when the bars are all the way to the right, and it's a very small kink.

thx anus!...*ehem*...tanus!
Old 05-08-2008, 12:02 PM
It's too hot in here!!!

~CuPcAkE~ is a splendid one to behold~CuPcAkE~ is a splendid one to behold~CuPcAkE~ is a splendid one to behold~CuPcAkE~ is a splendid one to behold~CuPcAkE~ is a splendid one to behold~CuPcAkE~ is a splendid one to behold~CuPcAkE~ is a splendid one to behold

Finally!!!

Come to the spot this weekend...I'm gonna practice wheelies
Old 05-08-2008, 04:05 PM
cereal killa

poni can only hope to improve

that is one thing we don't have out here is many women ridas or any stunt'rs....single or tandems.....big-ups to you hun. go kill :YEAH it
Old 05-08-2008, 04:24 PM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

929 cables are a little longer
Old 05-09-2008, 12:55 PM

TeaMoney is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow sounds like the same exact situation I just went through. The problem was my cable was stretched and it had a kink in it. In my case though it didn't matter which way I turned my handlebar though. When I opened the throttle it would stay open and wouldn't throttle down so I had to just shut the bike off. I ended up ****** with the bike for a day before I found the problem and another 2 days trying to fix the throttle cable. I just said **** it after 3 days and bought a new throttle cable on ebay and it fixed my problem. Hope this helps and let us know what you end up doing.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:57 PM

TeaMoney is an unknown quantity at this point

switched the throttle and return cable with another used ones that i had from a throttle body i bought on ebay.

turned all the tensioners to their stock position, and it fixed the problem for the most part. it fixed my freeplay problem too. :YEAH

...there is still a small kink, but only when the bars are all the way to the right, and it's a very small kink.

thx anus!...*ehem*...tanus!
That small kink is gonna come back and bite you in ya ***
One magic word bro, EBAY!
A stuntbikes best friend ^
Old 05-12-2008, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by cupcake
Finally!!!

Come to the spot this weekend...I'm gonna practice wheelies
ur spot is sick but wayyy too far of a drive. i've been up there twice and i was tired as **** by the time i got there, just from driving

Originally Posted by TeaMoney
That small kink is gonna come back and bite you in ya ***
One magic word bro, EBAY!
A stuntbikes best friend ^

i practiced sat and sunday, and i didn't notice a problem sat or sunday. plus, there is no way i'm taking my bike apart again unless i absolutely have to
Old 05-12-2008, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by MikeM
929 cables are a little longer
i'll def. look into that the next time i have to change cables.

...hopefully not anytime soon.

Quick Reply: throttle cable nightmare