03 R6 wont start after winter... Any HELP??

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 06:46 PM

looper4life is a decent person
03 R6 wont start after winter... Any HELP??

So i have a 2003 R6 that has 5100 miles on it. It was running Great this summer, I went to put it away for the winter, filled up the tank, disconnected the battery, then poured stabilizer in the tank without running it through the lines... not good i know. Now I went back out about 2 weeks later to start her up and she will only turn over but not start. The fuel pump comes on u can hear that, as well as the lights but the engine just seems to not light. So i went and changed the spark plugs to new ones CR10EK... put her all back together and tried to start her again, still wont ignite just the starter will turn over without turning the engine over. Anyone else have some ideas or suggestions? So I am out of ideas other than pay to have it fixed, but I would rather do it myself. thanks for your time.

Also, I have checked the fuel pump, its working just fine, and the spark plugs are getting spark. I checked all of the fuses, they seem to be fine, the battery is fully charged and putting out about 12.9 volts and 11.4 with a load. I put fresh gas in with fuel injector cleaner as well after draining the gas tank. I am throughly confused because everything seems just fine, except it wont crank. I sprayed starter fluid in the air filter today and down in the mixture ports and turned her over and she started for a half second, just burning off the fluid then immediately dies out. I tried push starting it and with starter fluid it will start again but for about a half second... Some smoke comes out of the exhaust when it ignites but then just dies again. Anyone at ALL have ANY ideas I could try? I am thinking it has to be the fuel injectors because its getting spark, and pumping fuel, so its just got to be something from the fuel pump to the cylinders thats wrong because everything on both sides works just fine... Thanks
Old 03-03-2008, 06:57 PM

georgeeboy is a decent person
Re: 03 R6 wont start after winter... Any HELP??

check fuel pressure. if its good take the injectors out and use a hose that will fit over the ends that recive the fuel. get a portable fuel tank and put a primer bulb inline with the injector and prime it until ball is hard. take 12 volts from any battery and hook to injector but leave one lead of of the prongs.Then tap the wire on and of to jolt the injector. Keep doing that and pumping the bulb. It should free up the injector. If not try to spray some carb cleaner in the ends of the injector let it sit a min. and try it again.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:01 PM

Alright, I am not that mechanical savy tho... I will defintly try, but right now i am working on finding the injectors... ya i know it sounds pretty bad, but i am the first to admit i am not a mechanic, i am still learning each time i take it apart. But I have done pretty well so far in all of the stuff i have done.. (minor). But if u could fill me in on how to get to the injectors i would appreciate it. But i have been told a lot lately that its not the injectors b/c it woudl still fire, just idle badly. Any other ideas of what it could possibly be? Considering everything i have done so far...

Also, i disconnected the fuel line going into the engine and turned the key, the fuel pump primered and sprayed fuel out nicely, so i know that the pump is working fine.. would the pressure still matter??
Old 03-03-2008, 07:07 PM

if u have the airbox off u should see 4 throttle bodies and the injectors are pressed in them and also a fuel rail going across the throttle bodies. Disconnect the coils so there is no spark and look down the throttle bodies and crank it. See if u can see any fuel spraying. If not the injectors are stuck.Very common. because u sprayed starting fluid down it and it ran for a sec. its def. fuel related.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:26 PM

I get exactly what your saying, and will be trying this here in a few mins, but a local mechanic says he knows my bike the back of his hand and really thinks its SOME kind of electrical problem. i just konw that i checked for spark at one of the plugs and it was defintly getting spark, so i dont konw what else electrical could be wrong.. i just dont get how it worked GREAT before i put it away, and then i put it in a garage over the winter and it wouldnt even start... WTF
Old 03-03-2008, 07:51 PM

since u said it fired once when u sprayed starter fluid in the air box shows u the electrical system is working and that it is fuel related. Electrical parts dont go bad just sitting around. but fuel in the end of a tiny *** port will def. stick. its FUEL related!
Old 03-03-2008, 08:02 PM

Ya i agree with you i think its got to be fuel related too.. thats why i think its the injectors... i have another guy giveing me detailed lessons with pictures on how to take the injectors out, well atleast the injector filters which is what is clogged he says, so i am going to work on that tomorrow morning because its too dark here and my garage is poorly lit. But any more advice will defintly help, I will be checking this often for more advice.. I will be checking the injectors out tomorrow

And do you think its probably the injectors for sure? or u have any other guesses since its not the fuel pump.. or fuel lines..
Old 03-03-2008, 08:08 PM

yes, I deal with boats so we have the same issues. People store boats over the winter and when they go to start, same problem. always carbs,fuel pumps stuck, or fuel injectors stuck. stick with fuel problem, you shall figure it out
Old 03-03-2008, 08:47 PM

K thanks i appreciate it... i will check out the injectors tomrrow morning and go from there, i will keep ya posted on my progress..
Old 03-03-2008, 09:32 PM

Standupnfall is a decent person

Sorry if you mentioned it, but did you put fresh gas in?
Old 03-03-2008, 09:39 PM

ya i drained the tank and put fresh gas with some injector and throttle body cleaner in yesterday...
Old 03-07-2008, 07:11 PM

yamahammer is a decent person

I find it very hard to believe the injectors would be stuck on an 03. I am mechanic and you most likely have an electrical problem. Your PCM (computer) controls when each injector opens and for how long. And Sitting for a while can take out electronic components especially if temperature is rising and dropping. You should check closely to make sure your fuses are all good. Use a test light put the put the negative clip on the neg of the battery. Each fuse has two terminals on top (without taking the fuse out) touch each of the terminals with the positive probe of the testlight, with the key on. There should be juice at each terminal, if not replace the fuse. Check closely that all sensors are plugged in. When you said fuel squirted out, im assuming it was after the filter so it wouldnt be a problem. If it was before the filter its possible i was plugged with some dirty gas. Also if you put e85 or something like that it could cause some problems. But if you want to pull off the connector that go on the injectors. Put your neg clip of testlight on the POSITIVE batt terminal and put the pos proble of your light on the connectors terminals. Try both terminals seperately while turning the engine over. Injectors are controlled with a ground. One terminal should have constant power the other should cycle ground on and off with engine turning. Hope this helps!!