f4i ingnition switch wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 05:28 PM

Trachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant future
f4i ingnition switch wiring help

my ignition switch on my f4i is fucked up so i want to be able to connect it with a simple toggle switch. the ignition switch has 4 wires going into it. which two do i have to connect to the toggle switch so i can start it with just the start switch? the wires are pink, blue with pink stripe, red, and red with black stripe. thanks for any help, fellas. what are the other 2 wires for?
Old 08-04-2007, 05:38 PM
AQPWT

aaronwilliams is a decent person
Re: f4i ingnition switch wiring help

you need a honda ignition switch, or it wont start. The ECU needs to see a certain resistance from the switch in order to start the engine if its not there (you connect all the wires) then it will crank but wont start....
Old 08-04-2007, 05:48 PM

Trachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by aaronwilliams
you need a honda ignition switch, or it wont start. The ECU needs to see a certain resistance from the switch in order to start the engine if its not there (you connect all the wires) then it will crank but wont start....
****, that sucks.

i found the wiring diagram on google: https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/307...mike-im-8.html

i see the resistor on the ign switch. what if i solder the respective wires together onto one side of the resistor and the same for the other side? ghetto, i know but this is my stuntbike and it's rigged all the way around. i just want it to work properly.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:59 PM
AQPWT

lol that link is deff not a wiring diagram....

anyways when I crashed my ZX7r I had the same problem the wiring harness got split and shorted the ignition. I font that it needed a 100 ohm resistor and all the wires to be powered to start.

Youll find one wire is a constant 12V and the others need to be powered. The pink wire which is the one that needs to have the resistor that needs power too but through the right size resistor...
Old 08-04-2007, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by aaronwilliams
lol that link is deff not a wiring diagram....

anyways when I crashed my ZX7r I had the same problem the wiring harness got split and shorted the ignition. I font that it needed a 100 ohm resistor and all the wires to be powered to start.

Youll find one wire is a constant 12V and the others need to be powered. The pink wire which is the one that needs to have the resistor that needs power too but through the right size resistor...
if u look down the page on the link it'll have a small diagram that tells what each wire does as well as an explanation further down. weird thread to find it on, ha?

damn dude, i may try splicing that ****. it'll take some time but who knows, i may figure something out. if i do i'll put it on here. hopefully i dont **** anything up.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:28 AM

ProXStar is a decent person

Im having a huge problem with mine right now....that pink ignition wire shorted out on my frame when i was ridin and now the bike won't start just turns over feul pump won't turn on. I have tested the pump and teh computer in another bike and it works fine....but i can't seem to find what it fried out. it blew my main fuse but i replaced it and all teh rest are fine. The fuel pump is just not getting any power maybe its that resistor you where talking about. is it in the ignition itself? maybe ill try swapping the ignition real quick.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by ProXStar
Im having a huge problem with mine right now....that pink ignition wire shorted out on my frame when i was ridin and now the bike won't start just turns over feul pump won't turn on. I have tested the pump and teh computer in another bike and it works fine....but i can't seem to find what it fried out. it blew my main fuse but i replaced it and all teh rest are fine. The fuel pump is just not getting any power maybe its that resistor you where talking about. is it in the ignition itself? maybe ill try swapping the ignition real quick.
yup. the resistor is behind the black plastic part of the ign switch where the wires are soldered. by main fuse ur talkin about the 30 gage fuse thats in the little box (dont know the name) on the red battery cable? try that if u havent.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:31 PM

ProXStar is a decent person

yeh i checked the ignition off another bike and thats what it is and i think i fried the resistor....so is there anyway i can drive it today with out an ignition cause id really like to.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:05 PM

Scott- is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ProXStar
the diode is toasted
Old 08-05-2007, 02:08 PM
AQPWT

its a resistor not a diode....
Old 08-08-2007, 11:36 AM

holy ****, i have an idea!!! okay, what's messed up with my ignition switch is that some of the plastic is broken and it's going to fall apart any day now, but it still works. inside the switch, when u turn the key, a contact is made between two points via two little metal spheres that are spring loaded. i was gonna try to bypass the ignition switch and connect the two wires that power the bike, but the resistor is required for the bike to come on without burning a fuse. SOOOO, instead of connecting the two wires together BEFORE the ignition switch, what i'll do is connect the two points inside that little plastic ignition housing via a toggle switch. that way the resistor and all the wiring stays in place AAAND i wont need a key, just a simple flip of the switch. ghetto, i know, but as long as my stuntbike runs smoothly i'm happy.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:58 PM

okay, so i got the toggle switch on there. ****** works GOOOOD now. now i dont need a key to turn my **** on. I just turn on the toggle switch and push the start button. when i want to turn it off, i just turn off the toggle switch. I FEEL TRIUMPHANT!!!! okay, so here's what i did:

1) i bought a nice looking, blue toggle switch for under $4 from autozone (i wanted a good looking toggle switch to match my stunning good looks). It's a 20amp, 240 watt switch. it was the strongest i could find at friggin autozone. hopefully it's strong enough. the toggle switch has 3 prongs on it: power, on/acc, and ground/earth.

2) I unplugged the battery and then the ign switch and took it apart and got it down to the black, plastic housing. then i took that apart, and got it to the white cover that spins around when u turn the key. i used a flathead screwdriver and took that off too.

3) then i saw the muhfuckin wires and little resistor on the bottom of the ign switch. the top had the contacts which consisted of 3 circle shaped contacts and two long, semicircle contacts.

4) then i soldered 3 wires to the top circular contacts. u should see those wires sticking out of the ign switch in the pics. the wires i soldered on are red (power), white (i guess the ground for the fan or some ****), and black (ground). they coincide with the wires on the bottom of the ign switch, which respectively are red (power), blue/pink or yellow stripe (fan or some ****), and red/black stripe (ground).

5) then i soldered my white and black wires together cuz they have to ground together on the on/acc prong when i turn the toggle switch on.

6) then i soldered the red wire to the power prong on the toggle switch, and the black and white wires to the on/acc prong on the toggle switch. then, for safety, i wrapped the **** up in electrical tape, making sure no wires were making contact with each other.

7) to test it, i plugged the ign switch back in and the **** works; i have power to my bike. however, when i turn the toggle switch off the bike turns off 2 or 3 seconds later. i looked at the contacts and when the key to the ign switch is turned off the ground contacts to the fan and the on/acc shift off the power contact and over to the semicircle contacts, which i suspect are grounds. what i'm going to do tomorrow is solder a wire to the fan's semicircle contact and another to the ground semicircle contact on the ign switch, and run those two wires to the ground prong on the toggle switch. that should work.

i'm not all that great with electrical **** but hey, i have no teacher with this **** so i just do trial and error with some logic.

anyway, here are pics of the work i've done so far. forgive the crappy quality but my camera's a piece of ****.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	S4020947.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	198560   Click image for larger version

Name:	S4020948.JPG
Views:	378
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	198561   Click image for larger version

Name:	S4020949.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	198562   Click image for larger version

Name:	S4020950.JPG
Views:	1020
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	198563   Click image for larger version

Name:	S4020954.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	198564  

Click image for larger version

Name:	S4020955.JPG
Views:	391
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	198565   Click image for larger version

Name:	S4020956.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	198566   Click image for larger version

Name:	S4020957.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	198567  

Last edited by Trachito; 08-20-2007 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:01 PM

"what i'm going to do tomorrow is solder a wire to the fan's semicircle contact and another to the ground semicircle contact on the ign switch, and run those two wires to the ground prong on the toggle switch. that should work."

well, i did that and it didnt work. the bike still delays when i turn it off. my main goal was for it to turn on with no problems and i can deal with the delay when i shut it off cuz its only 3-4 seconds. unfortunately my kill switch on the throttle handlebar is messed up so i cant shut it off that way. **** it though, the thing works. i'm leaving it like it is when i first got it to work.