636 Crankcase Vent Solutions

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 02:33 AM

FREESTYLEKYLE is a decent person
Re: 636 Crankcase Vent Solutions

I hope so.

but it sounds like you should have just done what ed did.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:17 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Armenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by FREESTYLEKYLE
I hope so.

but it sounds like you should have just done what ed did.
i did what ed did did'nt i?

crankcase breather to pair valve via t-fitting.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:49 PM

soarer is an unknown quantity at this point

Some great info on crankcase breaters here: http://www.tlzone.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8189
Old 07-21-2006, 01:58 PM

FREESTYLEKYLE is a decent person

Originally Posted by Armenian
i did what ed did did'nt i?

crankcase breather to pair valve via t-fitting.
did it work?
Old 07-21-2006, 07:51 PM

Armenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant future

so far so good
Old 07-21-2006, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by soarer
Some great info on crankcase breaters here: http://www.tlzone.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8189
cant see it-must be a member--copy and paste for us
Old 07-25-2006, 05:01 AM

glingglo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by John LegionST
i think you have a good solution with the long hose. if i check my airbox and there is a lot of oil in it im going to do that too with the pcv.

I don't know how much oil your running, but i fill my bikes right to the top of the sight glass, no more! i think that is about .5 quarts over (+475 ml for my brothers up north, lol). And the other thing i ALWAYS tell people to help them save their motors, but it will help in this case too, it to try to keep the rpms low! a HB makes this possible. i've never seen you ride so i dont know if that applies to you but it's something to consider. the lower the rpm the less likely it is to **** oil into the airbox!
surely that defeats the object because the more oil you have the more pressure will develope in the crank cases! i just keep takin off the air box cover when the little bottle gets filled up until the oil level has gone down.... i have not starved the eng of oil cos iv been stuntin in big tempretures for weeks for maybe 5 hours a session! cthe engine would have surely seized by now!!!

i not sure how to cure this prob really cos i still get oil in my box and it makes me paranoid but i think if you dont overfill then you should be ok to just clean the air filter every now and again!!
Old 07-25-2006, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by glingglo
surely that defeats the object because the more oil you have the more pressure will develope in the crank cases! i just keep takin off the air box cover when the little bottle gets filled up until the oil level has gone down.... i have not starved the eng of oil cos iv been stuntin in big tempretures for weeks for maybe 5 hours a session! cthe engine would have surely seized by now!!!

i not sure how to cure this prob really cos i still get oil in my box and it makes me paranoid but i think if you dont overfill then you should be ok to just clean the air filter every now and again!!
Quantity of oil does'nt matter. Its RPM'S. i run a little less than 4 quarts and it still spit oil even after i set the wheelie down i watched it spit oil everywhere.

Letting the airbox get drenched with oil and just opening it up and cleaning it once in a while is just asking for trouble especially when you start doing faster high rev, high BP tricks.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:38 PM

louisvillerider is a decent person

i just caped off my airbox, and put in a pvc valve w/ a breather/filter on the end.... hasnt leaked a drop of oil, and hasnt caused any problems. i ride alot of street, and do alot of long first/2nd gear wheelies w/ no problems either... 12 -o-clock.. no problem
Old 07-25-2006, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by louisvillerider
i just caped off my airbox, and put in a pvc valve w/ a breather/filter on the end.... hasnt leaked a drop of oil, and hasnt caused any problems. i ride alot of street, and do alot of long first/2nd gear wheelies w/ no problems either... 12 -o-clock.. no problem
keep a close eye on your setup after every ride. I tried your setup and it did'nt last long at all the oil just goes right past the pcv valve. I had TWO pcv valves and it still leaked.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:52 PM

sounds like you put your pvc valve on the wrong way.... they are made to only let air in 1 direction (oil too for that matter) so if anything is getting past it something is wrong. i had my tank off the other day and trhere was no sign of oil on the filter whatsoever... just a tad dirty, but not even enough to worry bout cleanin it
Old 07-25-2006, 03:25 PM
Brap

T-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the rough

So what's the status?
Old 07-26-2006, 01:27 AM

sounds like you put your pvc valve on the wrong way.... they are made to only let air in 1 direction (oil too for that matter) so if anything is getting past it something is wrong. i had my tank off the other day and trhere was no sign of oil on the filter whatsoever... just a tad dirty, but not even enough to worry bout cleanin it
Negative I had the pcv valves installed correctly. It still leaked.

Crankcase to KLEEN air system is still working great.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:32 AM
Brap

T-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the rough

Damn you should have taken pics
Old 07-26-2006, 10:40 AM

then you have a faulyt PVC valve
Old 07-26-2006, 10:47 AM

JohnnyP is a decent person

then you have a faulyt PVC valve

Mine leaked too, not as much as with no PCV but they dont block the oil 100%...
Old 07-26-2006, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
Mine leaked too, not as much as with no PCV but they dont block the oil 100%...
+1
Old 07-27-2006, 11:50 PM

Greg Mcglynn is an unknown quantity at this point

ok I am glad this post is still going cuz I think I need some help here.

I drilled the hole in the valve cover and tapped it to accept an air hose fitting. I ran the hose from the valve cover back up through the subframe into the rear trunk under the seat into a little bottle like kane told me to. I plugged up the main lower breather tube in the block. I left the pair valve alone so it still worked.

everything was cool for a few sessions. I had very very little oil in the catch bottle.I was letting it ride on the 12 bar forever just to see if oil would dump out and it didn't.

but after riding it hard at high rpms I noticed oil dumping out of the valve cover. I read all the post here so I then did what the legion boys did.

I removed pair valve and bought a t fitting and then unplugged the breather and ran a hose from it to the pair valve t fitting.

I really thought I had this problem solved once and for all.

I go out riding last night and I have never seen so much oil dump into a motor in my life.

I am stumped. My pipe was just dumping out smoke all night long.The problem got worse not better.

I dunno there is oil all over the motor now I am gonna work on it tomorrow.

I wonder if my piston rings are just wasted from all the abuse I put them through and I am getting blow by.

gonna do a leakdown test tomorrow to find out.

so all of you guys that did the same modification as me are not having andy more leaking oil?

let me know whats up
Old 07-28-2006, 12:03 AM

John LegionST is a decent person

you need to run the lower breather tube to the T fitting. if you do that i dont see how oil could get into your cylinders. where is the oil leaking from on your bike?

this is ed on johns cp
Old 07-28-2006, 06:46 AM

1. I closed off the breather vent i drilled into the valve cover.

2. Purchased T fitting for the pair valve.

3. Ran the tube from my crankcase breather up into the T-Fitting.

4. Inserted about 3 or 4 oil stopping foam inserts. (They sell them in the PCV section at Auto Zone)

5. So far everything has been great--USE THE FOAM INSERTS they let the motor breathe and stop oil real good--you have to stuff them into the breather hose with a pen.

6. I've been doing some really high rev shiit lately to make sure no leaks--few 3rd gear wheelies around 55ish mph, few fast coasters on the limiter and i highsided a circle yesterday so far so good. I've also kept a close watch on my valve seal to make sure its not building up too much pressure and leaking--its bone dry.

I hope this helps!

Last edited by Armenian; 07-28-2006 at 06:49 AM.

Quick Reply: 636 Crankcase Vent Solutions