636 Crankcase Vent Solutions

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 08:34 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Armenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant future
636 Crankcase Vent Solutions

Hey I want to hear what has actually worked for people BESIDES actually drilling the valve cover.

I've been running a hose from the crankcase up the side of my frame and ending it with a filter just above the radiator cap (no PVC):

This setup has been excellent--not a drip of oil for months--A few weeks ago I started doing coasters in 2nd gear winding out going around 40-50mph, and ever since then, I've noticed oil seepage out the filter end onto my radiator and fairings.

I'm thinking about running a PVC--should I run 2 PVC valves? I absolutely do NOT want to restrict the air the motor needs to breath. Does anybody know how, for a fact, motors breathe through these vents? In or out? And would installing a PVC really stop oil from passing but let the motor breath 100%?
Old 05-09-2006, 01:07 AM

Armenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant future
Re: 636 Crankcase Vent Solutions

Anyone?
Old 05-09-2006, 06:31 PM

jcrojas is an unknown quantity at this point

There are 2 breathers in the top of the valve cover and another one in the back of the motor, right above where the transmission would reside. I ran a long hose and a T connector and connected the 3. Been working so far....
Old 05-17-2006, 06:55 PM

I just installed 1 pcv valve and its still pissing oil wtf this sucks.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:24 AM

955iDisastar is an unknown quantity at this point

I use a catch bottle (120oz coke bottle)with two holes drilled into the top positioned so the holes are 12 0clock when on two wheels and 9 0clock on one wheel. works very well.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:37 AM

John LegionST is a decent person

Originally Posted by jcrojas
There are 2 breathers in the top of the valve cover and another one in the back of the motor, right above where the transmission would reside. I ran a long hose and a T connector and connected the 3. Been working so far....

the old gsxr PAIR mod, remember to cap off the open hole in the airbox (there the crankcase breather USED to go when you do this mod)

yeah that sounds like it'll will work. you doing bar tricks like that?! how is it working so far?
Old 05-18-2006, 11:10 AM

those ones on the head are not breathers, Kawasaki Kleen system.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:08 PM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all

ur gonna kiss your valve cover gasket good bye, if u have your crank case breather hose connected to the kleen system thing..
Old 05-18-2006, 02:11 PM

^Yea thats what I was thinking too. The catch bottle with 2 holes plan sounds like a really good idea.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by 955iDisastar
I use a catch bottle (120oz coke bottle)with two holes drilled into the top positioned so the holes are 12 0clock when on two wheels and 9 0clock on one wheel. works very well.
I'd have to see pics of this....
Old 05-18-2006, 02:46 PM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all

i have a 03 636 valve cover for sale and a few other parts listed in classified if u wanna mod one..
Old 05-18-2006, 11:30 PM

Ed LegionST is a decent person

its the gsxr pair mod connect the 2 on the valve cover together with a T and run it to the one on the back of the motor plug the small line comming of the injection and your done. no problems my 636 has had this mod for about 4 months now and my 02 1000 has had it done since 02 17000miles later no oil leaks. it makes vacum in the crank case so you wont have oil leaking out. if anything you would have air leaking in lol
Old 05-19-2006, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Ed LegionST
its the gsxr pair mod connect the 2 on the valve cover together with a T and run it to the one on the back of the motor plug the small line comming of the injection and your done. no problems my 636 has had this mod for about 4 months now and my 02 1000 has had it done since 02 17000miles later no oil leaks. it makes vacum in the crank case so you wont have oil leaking out. if anything you would have air leaking in lol
Won't this still allow pressure to build up? And why are people drilling into their valve covers if its the crankcase that needs to breathe?
Old 05-19-2006, 09:06 AM

JohnnyP is a decent person

Air will get to your cases throught the valve cover....Its all connected.

I cant see how connecting your breather to your pair valve is going to let the motor breathe properly. That IMO would be the same as just pluging your breather....
Old 05-19-2006, 11:17 AM
Scrapes Elbow

Originally Posted by Ed LegionST
3 Days ago my friends 01 GSXR 1k had the crank case breather hose hooked to those two hoses and we disconnected it and run the tubes correctly and his valve cover dumped a quart of oil an hour after this mod, before it was a SLOW slight leak, well further examination show'd that the valve cover gasket was some how suctioned in and that the pressure from the crank case pushed the valve cover gasket into the seam between the head and valve cover locking the leaks, the crank case pressure has to HAVE some where to go and back into the motor is not good.. best thing to do is the same set up as a radiator resivour, had a fill tube at the bottom of a container and a dump tube at the top and not small diamiter tubing either. or block off the crank case breather and tap the valve cover with somthing and slap a filter on it like the set up up there
Old 05-19-2006, 12:05 PM

Pictures:

Sorry man I took some pics but I can't get a damn re-sizing program to load on the pc, pics are too big. but maybee I can explain:

ONe 12 oz aquafina water bottle $1.00 out of any coke machine.... drink the water and keep the bottle including the cap. Now drill a (I believe 1/2 in.) hole into the top of the cap(basically the same size as the vent hose comin out of the case. Fit cap onto hose so that the bottle will twist onto the cap with the end of the hose in the bottle. Now light a cigarett and put the burning end on the side of the bottle about an inch from the cap, puff the cigarett untill it burns a hole into the bottle , repeat for second hole right next to the first one. Position bottle so that holes are pointing towards the sky (12 o'clock) and the bottom of the bottle is towards the rear tire. Now at 12 it should spit into the bottle and still breath through the holes in the top, and when on two wheels the oil should slowly go back into the crankcase depending on how long the hose is inserted into the bottle, and if the motor is running or not. Either way its an easy fix and you can simply twist the bottle off and pour back into the case whenever.

I have a honda and even though the breather is on the head if I leave the bottle off and try a filter I will still get oil everywhere, but for some reason I cant fill the bottle up..... works too well.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:36 AM

This is really starting to **** me off Just put a new very low milage motor in and I got oil sprayed all over me on the highway!

I used to have my crankcase breather blocked off and had a hose comming off the valve cover wraped around the motor once, then routed up to the front of the bike with a little filter on the end. On my old motor this worked fine, only on the street (high RPM) it would **** a little oil here and there....

So I drop in the new motor keeping the breather the same but changed to a catch can instead of a filter on the end, and after 5 min on the highway and a little wheelie Im covered in oil I really wanted to ride so I rushed back to the shop power washed the bike and hooked up my crankcase breather to my valve cover, now the ****in bastard is leakin oil through my stator cover(where the wires come out) and it blew the o-ring in my manual cam chain tensioner out.....I KNEW THAT WAS GOING TO BE A BAD IDEA

I think my only option now is to put it back to stock and burn all the oil and try my best not to hydro lock the motor......

I dont understand how these fixes are working for some people and not for others, even between my 2 motors the outcome was dufferent
Old 05-23-2006, 10:04 AM

John LegionST is a decent person

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
This is really starting to **** me off Just put a new very low milage motor in and I got oil sprayed all over me on the highway!

I used to have my crankcase breather blocked off and had a hose comming off the valve cover wraped around the motor once, then routed up to the front of the bike with a little filter on the end. On my old motor this worked fine, only on the street (high RPM) it would **** a little oil here and there....

So I drop in the new motor keeping the breather the same but changed to a catch can instead of a filter on the end, and after 5 min on the highway and a little wheelie Im covered in oil I really wanted to ride so I rushed back to the shop power washed the bike and hooked up my crankcase breather to my valve cover, now the ****in bastard is leakin oil through my stator cover(where the wires come out) and it blew the o-ring in my manual cam chain tensioner out.....I KNEW THAT WAS GOING TO BE A BAD IDEA

I think my only option now is to put it back to stock and burn all the oil and try my best not to hydro lock the motor......

I dont understand how these fixes are working for some people and not for others, even between my 2 motors the outcome was dufferent

I dont know why you are having any problems at all wheeling on the highway! I have 2 636's (03 and 04) and Ed has 2 (03 and 04) and between the 4 bikes we have NEVER had ANY oil leak on the highway! And we dont do ANYTHING to them, no vent/crankcase mods at all!!! Ed had one **** oil into the crankcase when he was doing long bar grinds trying to level his bar out. Im stumped...
Old 05-23-2006, 11:03 AM
Scrapes Elbow

u can't just run the hose into a seal'd container... it allways has to have a way to Release pressure.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by john LegionST
I dont know why you are having any problems at all wheeling on the highway! I have 2 636's (03 and 04) and Ed has 2 (03 and 04) and between the 4 bikes we have NEVER had ANY oil leak on the highway! And we dont do ANYTHING to them, no vent/crankcase mods at all!!! Ed had one **** oil into the crankcase when he was doing long bar grinds trying to level his bar out. Im stumped...

Yes if you do nothing you will never see the leak because it dumps the oil into to air box and the motor burns it(smoke) just like in your vid where the GSXR smokes after a long high speed 12 wheelie.

Let enough oil build up in the air box and stall and you now have a hydro locked motor. You being what I consider a PRO wouldn't ever have a problem with that, me on the other hand will.

Still doesnt make sense why my old motor was fine with a valve cover breather and my new motor just dumps it all out.....

" can't just run the hose into a seal'd container... it allways has to have a way to Release pressure."

Yes and the 3 holes I drilled in my catch can was where the oil was squirting out of....You have to understand Im not talkin about a little oil spray, It litereally dumped 1-2 letres of oil out of the catch can and into my face. And it didnt stop flowing till I shut off the bike, turn it bcak on (idleing) and it would start poruing again

For now Ive connected to crankcase breather to a longer hose wraped around the motor then into the airbox like stock....

Quick Reply: 636 Crankcase Vent Solutions