Surging idle badly--Over heating GSXR6'02 HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 01:43 PM
F*(K Yut Uggh

287ridah is an unknown quantity at this point
Surging idle badly--Over heating GSXR6'02 HELP!!

Well my Gsxr6 '02 (18k miles) is running like crap!
Putting it at 4k rpm it will surge down to 3.2k in neutral and especially under load. Rocking idle ****, it will surge down to 3k (feels like serious engine break) then I'll gas it back up but it'll just surge back down....Freaking annoying like a *****!!
Changed the plugs then found out they were lean like a *****.
I put my stock slip-on back on and nothing.
Switched ECM's and nothing.
Switched fuel pump and nothing.
Synched throttle bodies and nothing.
Cleaned air filter and nothing.

But after taking the bike apart more, my dumbass found that my bike was really low on radiator fluid. I put in about 1/4 gal and refilled overflow bottle.
So Im guessing it had a problem with heat and fried the engine temp sensor. I believe the ECM controls some part of the air/fuel mixture with this sensor, maybe leaning out the mixture when really hot??

As anyone had a similiar problem that was related to overheating???
GSXR systems are open-loop so the ECM controls fuel mixture with no lambda sensor like honda. I just switched the engine temp sensor but need to put everything back on. This better work cause other then what I did I think my motor is blown or there is some internal problems that I've caused from the overheating.
Any and all input would be great!! If I figure it out on my own I will post what happened so that others can learn from my mistake.
Alex
Old 02-09-2006, 02:09 PM

Snipes20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Surging idle badly--Over heating GSXR6'02 HELP!!

I have seen bikes with a simalar problem. without hearing it theres noway to be sure but it sounds like a problems that that year was having with the computer controling the secondary throtle value. I had one fixed in about 20 mins at a dealership. they knew what the problem was right away. I think its somewhat common
Old 02-09-2006, 02:22 PM
F*(K Yut Uggh

Originally Posted by Snipes20
I have seen bikes with a simalar problem. without hearing it theres noway to be sure but it sounds like a problems that that year was having with the computer controling the secondary throtle value. I had one fixed in about 20 mins at a dealership. they knew what the problem was right away. I think its somewhat common
Yeah Im sure its something with the ECM controlling the rpm cause it does the same thing everytime.
It will sit at 4k for about 5sec then gradually drop down to 3.5-3k rpm.
Any chance you can phone your dealership and ask what the problem was with your bike. Maybe they have past records indicating what the problem was and the remedy.
Thanks for the help
Old 02-09-2006, 03:00 PM

Snipes20 is an unknown quantity at this point

if its a calfornia bike they said it might have somthing to do with the emission equipment on the bike. They said they had to hook it up to the diagnostic machine to fix the problem I'm talking about though.

wish I could tell u what they did exactly but they just wont tell me and I don't know. If u call a dealer near u they might know more about it then me cause the bikes in canada are alot different from the ones in cali

Good luck
Old 02-11-2006, 04:05 PM
F*(K Yut Uggh

THere's gotta be someone else who had a similiar problem. Does anyone know what are all the things that contribute the ECM to changing throttle valve adjustments??? Anytime I hold the throttle at 4k I can watch the upper throttle body valve adjust down and surge my idle back to 3k. Its sooo annoying its driving me crazy.

I posted question on allexperts.com
http://www.allexperts.com/answerv.as...tionID=4254165
Old 02-11-2006, 06:40 PM

KF_Chris is a decent person

mine does that, it will idle where I want it to, but after I stop and either put it in neutral or pull in the clutch, it lowers on it's own. then it goes back up when I pull the front tire up, go figure.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:27 PM
F*(K Yut Uggh

Originally Posted by dudeman47
mine does that, it will idle where I want it to, but after I stop and either put it in neutral or pull in the clutch, it lowers on it's own. then it goes back up when I pull the front tire up, go figure.
mmmm that kinda sounds normal. Except that it should go back up when the clutch is pulled in. Mine goes down when i try to slow it down mid freaking wheelie

Theres gotta be more folks that experienced this b*llsh*t. Hopefully folks that attended stuntwars will read this post when they get a chance.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:42 PM
brabuhburbuh

Danger_Dave can only hope to improve

yeah i dunno man. it sounds like you're a pretty good do it yourselfer and all but sometimes you just gotta bring it to the stealership and have them look at it. also check out bugmans gixxer pages. this guys site has everything you could ever want when it comes to a gsxr. http://www.81x.com/bugman/gixxerprojects
Old 02-13-2006, 02:51 PM

KF_Chris is a decent person

well...if it does it when your under load that's a whole different problem...good luck then.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:50 PM
F*(K Yut Uggh

Originally Posted by dudeman47
well...if it does it when your under load that's a whole different problem...good luck then.
Yeah, the ECM turns down the throttle valve when under load or in neutral!!
Its like anything from 4k-3.5k it wants to drag down to 3k no matter what!! I have an extra motor but it could be bad wiring or sensor. Im just gonna have to go through my entire wiring harness and all sensor related to ECM throttle valve changes. If I went to the dealership they'd probably just tell me not to keep it at 4k
Damn, I was just starting to learn cirlces too. This problem has had to happen to someone else....HELP !!!!
I'll try to get video too.

Thanks for the input fellas
Old 02-16-2006, 05:39 PM
F*(K Yut Uggh

can anyone else help......................
Old 02-16-2006, 10:50 PM

charkly is a decent person

take the airbox off and see if the secondarys are closing or not-they work as a choke when its cold, but they stick sometimes, causing issues like you're describing. Just unhook the plug and love life.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:03 AM
F*(K Yut Uggh

Originally Posted by charkly
take the airbox off and see if the secondarys are closing or not-they work as a choke when its cold, but they stick sometimes, causing issues like you're describing. Just unhook the plug and love life.
mmmm
I took everything off. I even changed the entire throttle body. Its deffinetly the ECU changing the secondary throttle bodies. but its doing it because its reading a sensor and adjusting its self. Or that's what Im thinking. Im sure its not the engine temp sensor ( i checked the volts and its good but before that i changed it with one in another motor), but maybe my thermistat is shot or something. I even changed ECu's thinking the 1st one was bad. Something is telling the ECU to turn down the secondary's which brings my idle down 8k-10k everytime (Example. 4k-3k, 3k-2k). I even changed fuel pumps and even tanks (switched from my other GSXR) thinking that maybe something was clogging the line. Nothing. This is driving me mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I feel like rolling the bike out back and doing it execution style. No joke!!
My thinking is that it overheated too much and fried somethting in the wiring or sensor and the ECu is adjusting itself so which causes my secondarys to throttle down. Even when I put the idle at 3k it will drop down to 2k.
Thanks for the reply's...please keep them coming if anyone as any idea.
Please im freaking dying here.....

oh yeah. Can you take off the secondary's??? wont it bog at lower rpms. I need to research this, it might be a quick fix or semi fix so I can ride for a min. I have an extra motor but it has a bad 2nd gear. Im changing that right now too though.
Alex
Sacramento ,ca
Old 02-18-2006, 12:37 AM

charkly is a decent person

you can remove the secondaries with no problems-a lot of the racers do it-just unplug them in the open position, OR take the butterflys out of them completely. Only downside is hard starting when its not warmed up, but get a manual choke off of a 00-01 gixxer, and love life-Mike
Old 02-18-2006, 04:48 PM
STUNTRIDE FRONTLINE

-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of

Check The Throttle Posistioning Sensor (tps) I Have Heard Of Those Causing The Same Problems.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:28 AM
F*(K Yut Uggh

Originally Posted by charkly
you can remove the secondaries with no problems-a lot of the racers do it-just unplug them in the open position, OR take the butterflys out of them completely. Only downside is hard starting when its not warmed up, but get a manual choke off of a 00-01 gixxer, and love life-Mike
Yo, i would love to do this. I have an extra set of throttle bodies. I removed the secondaries (just to confirm, there the ones on the top -right?) and the bike basically redlined after starting. I'll try unpluging them in the open position and see what happens. I just got done unplugging the entire wiring harness and plugging in another. Same **** happened. I dont understand. I even adjusted the throttle position sensor and tested the sensors attached to it. Im good just bypassing the secondaries as long as I can stunt slow stuff smoothly.
If you know where i can get more information of this I would greatly appreciate it.
ALEX
Old 03-04-2009, 02:27 PM

kneeN seat king is a decent person

i have a 05 gsxr 6 i unplugged mine and it gives it more power low end and makes idle pull harder and smoother....
Old 03-09-2009, 06:19 PM

shoyass is a decent person

Remove the secondaries leave them plugged in or the Fi light will stay on. If its the CA model you will have to go to the dealer or find someone with a yoush box to change the factory map