Rolling Stoppies

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 07:55 PM
FHL
I Chose to No Longer Post

FHL is a decent person
Rolling Stoppies

I got a new M1 front tire on my F2, I wanted to get a pilot power but they were out so I just went with M1 since my rear is the same.

Right now I can always pop them up at a stop coming in at about 20mph, I've gotten them to roll a few times and one time it even came up pretty high and rolled about 10 feet. Other times I've tried to come in at 40 the front tire just locks when I brake harder to begin with. I also keep trying to put my foot down before the bike lands.

I'm thinking maybe I should come in at 10mph faster than I want to launch it so I have time to preload the forks and the tire won't lock?
Old 07-23-2005, 09:25 PM

dw2gtx is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Rolling Stoppies

lower your air pressure a little, to like 27 psi. i roll 75ft at 45 mph , i also have a pilot power, awsome tires. try it with the lower pressure, and make sure your tire has been broken in. 100 miles is usually required to break in a tire.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:49 PM
STOP THE BUCKING!!!!!!!!!

FSPalex will become famous soon enough

20 mph?? aproach faster
Old 07-24-2005, 03:33 PM

LivingCanvas is an unknown quantity at this point

Its best to learn coming in at like 50mph. I know it sounds scary, but thats the best way to learn.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:49 PM
Brap

T-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by LivingCanvas
Its best to learn coming in at like 50mph. I know it sounds scary, but thats the best way to learn.
True, get a damper too
Old 07-24-2005, 08:59 PM

kxrider is an unknown quantity at this point

it aint worth goin far without a damper bleive me all it takes is one time
Old 07-24-2005, 09:31 PM

Got2josh is an unknown quantity at this point

So the pilot power's are nice and sticky? I have pilot sports on right now and love them, I have never riden a stickier tire. Are the powers close?
And I've been working on endo's, but once I started rolling them maybe 10 feet or so I decided I'm not going to do any more until I get a damper. It feels way too easy for the bars just to go full lock to one side.
But I don't have money for a damper so I'll just have to wait.
I have a 00 750, which comes with a stock damper, which doesn't do **** as far as I can tell, but can I put much heavier oil in there or something to make it a lot stiffer?
Old 07-25-2005, 12:10 AM
FHL

FHL is a decent person

Does anyone know the easiest way to mount a GSXR damper on my bike? I'm going to put heavier weight oil in it that way I don't have to buy an expensive damper, that and it has mx bars so my only real choice is fork mounted anyway.

Oh yeah the reason that I wasn't coming in fast was because it was locking but now I'm having no problem at 50. I can roll them decent for only trying 2 days.

I think like one of the above posts said I only had about 30 miles on my tire so it wasn't broken in. Ironically my brand new tire has less chicken strips on the front than my 1400 mile old 636. I guess I have the skills but no ***** on a 10k bike.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:44 AM
JB

JB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rahrahf2
I got a new M1 front tire on my F2, I wanted to get a pilot power but they were out so I just went with M1 since my rear is the same.

Right now I can always pop them up at a stop coming in at about 20mph, I've gotten them to roll a few times and one time it even came up pretty high and rolled about 10 feet. Other times I've tried to come in at 40 the front tire just locks when I brake harder to begin with. I also keep trying to put my foot down before the bike lands.

I'm thinking maybe I should come in at 10mph faster than I want to launch it so I have time to preload the forks and the tire won't lock?

1st thing is make sure u have a warm tyre before u try any stoppies. if u are just starting out on em try not to grab the front brake to vilontly. i found if i kinda squeez it father than just lock it on helps. if that makes scence. when ur learning anyway. keeps ur arms locked and knees tight on the tank and look fwd. hope this helps. uh yeh. try and bounce ur *** a lil on the seat as u pull the front brake in as this will help bring it up. my
Old 07-25-2005, 01:51 PM

KungFu954 is an unknown quantity at this point

Gixxer has some really good advice. In fact pretty much everyone has good advice.
When you do stoppies at a lower speed you have to get the rear up a lot faster in order to roll. That's why it's easier at like 40-50 mph and it's smoother. Anything faster than 50 it starts to get hard again, because of the "fear" while learning. Tire temp is key as well as good grey color asphault. No concrete, No shiney black asphault nice grey stuff and make sure there is no camber to it other wise the rear will start to come around on you. The Metzler M1 is a great tire for learning stoppies. As said above make sure it's scrubbed in well and consider running a little less pressure.

Gixxer has an awesome word above, don't jerk the brake just slowly squeeze it until the forks colapse then smoothly add more break while keeping your arms rigid and body rigid. I have a giant post in here somewhere on stoppies. If you can't find it let me know on this post and I'll copy it and paste it.
Make sure you have someone tape you or take pictures of you so you get a good idea of how high you are. The funny thing about stoppies is, for a while they will feel like they are super high and they aren't then all of the sudden they'll feel like they aren't high at all,,,and they are.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:26 PM
FHL

FHL is a decent person

Originally Posted by KungFu954
Gixxer has some really good advice. In fact pretty much everyone has good advice.
When you do stoppies at a lower speed you have to get the rear up a lot faster in order to roll. That's why it's easier at like 40-50 mph and it's smoother. Anything faster than 50 it starts to get hard again, because of the "fear" while learning. Tire temp is key as well as good grey color asphault. No concrete, No shiney black asphault nice grey stuff and make sure there is no camber to it other wise the rear will start to come around on you. The Metzler M1 is a great tire for learning stoppies. As said above make sure it's scrubbed in well and consider running a little less pressure.

Gixxer has an awesome word above, don't jerk the brake just slowly squeeze it until the forks colapse then smoothly add more break while keeping your arms rigid and body rigid. I have a giant post in here somewhere on stoppies. If you can't find it let me know on this post and I'll copy it and paste it.
Make sure you have someone tape you or take pictures of you so you get a good idea of how high you are. The funny thing about stoppies is, for a while they will feel like they are super high and they aren't then all of the sudden they'll feel like they aren't high at all,,,and they are.
That's exactly what I do, and I'm doing it in a parking lot with a straightaway for busses thats good enough for coming in at 50 and then I preload the forks and squeeze harder progressively. I have a video camera I put at the end of the lot to record.

The best stoppies I've done were arms locked coming in at 50 with my head straight forward not looking down one bit and I rolled them pretty high.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:48 AM

Spencer75south is an unknown quantity at this point

i hate my pilot power. its got like 150 miles on it, ill trade you for your M1
Old 07-26-2005, 01:40 PM

KungFu954 is an unknown quantity at this point

That's the thing about pilots. I ran them once on my ride and hated them. Some people love em some hate em. I can't stand them cause they take a while to warm up and they are tough to keep warm. I've said this a thousand times before, but the best tire I've found yet is the Bridgestone BTO14 the warm fast and stay warm. Nice and sticky,,, plus they're not made in france.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:35 PM

WoFo Speed is an unknown quantity at this point

im havin a little problem letting them roll and also just doing a stoppie some times. i come in at about 15-20 mph and load the forks up a bit and then squeeze and sometimes it just slides? also, 50 mph seems way fast to do one but i guess you have the momentum. i would be happy with some 5 footers right about now. any advise on how to endo better. i can roll like inches now, lol