License plate ticket, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 12:35 PM

Got2josh is an unknown quantity at this point
License plate ticket, HELP!

So I was in boston a couple weeks ago and got a 35 dollar ticket for having my plate folded up, and it was ALL the way up, I forgot to put it back down after I got off the highway. Anyways I told the harley cop that I had been adjusting my suspension and it must have bottomed out, he didn't buy though and gave me the ticket. This is my first ticket ever, I could care less about the 35 bucks but it goes onto my insurance. I'm def going to fight it but I need some ideas. First off, WILL the suspenion go low enough to hit the plate if I loosen everything up enough??
Also, I never signed the ticket saying that I recieved it, so could I just ignore it and say something like "he pulled me over but then never gave me a ticket?"
I have a fender eliminator on an 00 750. Thanks for any advise, and I need to either ignore it or send it in within the next couple days

And I called a bunch of police stations and my insurance and they all said it DOES carry a point or two
Old 07-03-2005, 01:25 PM

f4stunna is a decent person
Re: License plate ticket, HELP!

he didnt sign it or you didnt? if he didnt MAKE A COPY of it and when you go to fight it just show the clerk magristate that and your out. if he did, just tell em your wheel hit it.

but if they dont go for that ask to go infront of the judge. ive gone 3 times not and the cop hasnt shown up once. (the way it works is you go in front of the magristate first and they send a representive for the cop and if you dont agree with it you can go infront of a judge and the cop has to be there)
Old 07-03-2005, 05:59 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

KC Tony is an unknown quantity at this point

a ticket for your plate should not be classified as a moving violation, and therefore should not go on your record and affect your insurance
Old 07-03-2005, 07:12 PM

bcheverie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KC Tony
a ticket for your plate should not be classified as a moving violation, and therefore should not go on your record and affect your insurance
i think it is a moving violation. every vehicle on a public street has to have a visible registration number or its not allowed on the street. i got pulled over a couple years back for having a clear cover on my plate that was dirty. the cop was one of my friends dads so he didn't give me a ticket but i did get a 10 minute lecture on driving safety.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:15 AM

zx636skiv is an unknown quantity at this point

Most states I have delt with this is a fix it ticket...just fix the plate, make sure you have a light on it, take a picture and show it to the judge. Not so sure about the signature thing. I have also heard that if the cop doesn't show up that the case will be dismissed, but I went to jail the day the arresting officer didn't show.
Maybe you can get a free cosultation from a lawyer in your area...or ask a different cop...and play dumb! Make sure if you ask a different cop that your plate has been fixxed...ya never know, he might know the first cop and talk to him...might even get dropped before you get to court.
And I don't think it counts as a moving viloation either cuz you could get that ticket with it sitting in a parking lot.

Either way, good luck.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:54 AM

20blks is an unknown quantity at this point

Take a clear pic of you "fully visible" plate to the judge and tell her/him about the suspension. You should be ok.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:45 PM

eazenutz33 is an unknown quantity at this point

It depends on the area as to whether or not its a moving violation....here in missouri it isn't a moving violation, just like a "defective equipment" ticket for your turn signals not working on your car! I would definately talk to a lawyer about moving violation versus non-moving violation, don't ask a cop, 90% have to call in to dispatch to know what ticket to write if it isn't a speeding violation. Usually a $35 fine isn't gonna bring you too many problems, you'll prolly be able to mail it in and forget about it.

For the future, don't bend your plate, its just gonna snap into 2 peices later anyways, get a springed cabinet hinge and mount your plate with that, then you can pop your plate up to do some shyt you "shouldn't" be doing, then when you are done, pop it back into place.....get pulled over and its mounted correctly, but the people who called into the cops didn't get a plate number, but your plate is so visible, how could they not get the numbers if it was you???
Old 07-04-2005, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by eazenutz33
It depends on the area as to whether or not its a moving violation....here in missouri it isn't a moving violation, just like a "defective equipment" ticket for your turn signals not working on your car! I would definately talk to a lawyer about moving violation versus non-moving violation, don't ask a cop, 90% have to call in to dispatch to know what ticket to write if it isn't a speeding violation. Usually a $35 fine isn't gonna bring you too many problems, you'll prolly be able to mail it in and forget about it.

For the future, don't bend your plate, its just gonna snap into 2 peices later anyways, get a springed cabinet hinge and mount your plate with that, then you can pop your plate up to do some shyt you "shouldn't" be doing, then when you are done, pop it back into place.....get pulled over and its mounted correctly, but the people who called into the cops didn't get a plate number, but your plate is so visible, how could they not get the numbers if it was you???

There ya go givin away our secrets again i think im just gonna take my plate back off, 4 years without one why should i start now that im actually legal
Old 07-04-2005, 01:59 PM

eazenutz33 is an unknown quantity at this point

Secrets?????? the secret was let out when the news channels got ahold of the video tape last year.......I'm still thankful to this day those ignorant pigs could only get 22 minutes instead of hours!!!!
Old 07-04-2005, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by eazenutz33
Secrets?????? the secret was let out when the news channels got ahold of the video tape last year.......I'm still thankful to this day those ignorant pigs could only get 22 minutes instead of hours!!!!

Yes dumb cops are my favorite
Old 07-04-2005, 07:42 PM

Got2josh is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by f4stunna
he didnt sign it or you didnt? if he didnt MAKE A COPY of it and when you go to fight it just show the clerk magristate that and your out. if he did, just tell em your wheel hit it.

but if they dont go for that ask to go infront of the judge. ive gone 3 times not and the cop hasnt shown up once. (the way it works is you go in front of the magristate first and they send a representive for the cop and if you dont agree with it you can go infront of a judge and the cop has to be there)
I didn't sign it where it says for me to to acknowlegde that I recieved the ticket, but the cop signed where he was supposed to.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with "the wheel hit it" excuse, but I want to bring in some pics showing that the wheel actually WILL hit the plate if the suspension is adjusted correctly. So how do I go about screwing my suspension up bad enough to hit the plate?Or does anyone have any pics of a wheel wacking a plate already?