Need advice, learnin to wheelie

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 01:45 PM

Custom GT is an unknown quantity at this point
Need advice, learnin to wheelie

i moved up from a 89ninja to a 954RR.....yea big jump lol

ive never done too many wheelies so im not that great
I took the 954 out today to practice (jacket/helmet/boots...no gloves cant feel the controls)
Planned to do staggered standup clutchups like the wheelie thread recommends, but that is just tooo much for a beginner to handle...so instead i tried sitdown power wheelies and clutch-ups, just to see what both were like on this bike.

Im not doing too great on feathering the clutch out to get it up good, most of the time its just jerking real hard(2 foot was my biggest, watch out dan jackson) lol. I do try to sit way back against the rear seat, thats a good thing right?
I tried a few power wheelies, I could do those about everytime I tried, just popped them up like a foot and let them come back down. I didnt want to pursue it since everyone on here says to do clutchups.

guess i just need to practice some more....got any tips for me...?
Old 02-25-2005, 01:50 PM

Z-UNIT is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Need advice, learnin to wheelie

https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/443-stunting-help-advice/72156-complete-guide-learning-basic.html
Old 02-25-2005, 02:16 PM

SlitZ is a decent person

+1 on the link... but clutchin up is easy, its all finesse.. dont know what to tell you other than to keep practicin
Old 02-25-2005, 02:37 PM

NovaMan is an unknown quantity at this point

you got the right idea with the clutching sitdowns to start (thats how i did) but instead id just stand normal on the rear sets and practice clutching standing up that way. Sit downs feel more comfortable at first till you get anywhere near BP and you cant see anymore and that kinda sucks. You'll get used to the standing position soon enough and become comfortable with it. I know alot of people say learn wheelies in 2nd but im a firm believer in learning them in 1st gear. For one they come up very easy and your not going very fast. And 2nd they come up very easy.... And lastly you have a ton more engine braking in 1st than in 2nd and engine brake will also save your ***.

Abondon power wheelies all together... Your not goin to learn how to do a BP (balance point) wheelie in a matter of a week. Takes lots of "trial and error" and practice befor you get used to how the bike reacts.

My best advice is to go about 15 MPH slowly start rolling into the throttle than as your doing that pull in the clutch once you pull in the clutch give the throttle alittle "snap" and then let the clutch back out fast but smooth. Be ready to roll back off the throttle. Your probably goin to come down pretty hard most of the time and alot of the time are goin to roll off the throttle to much and then try to get back into it again and doing practically a power wheelie (never getting to BP) But eventually you'll learn how much you cant and can roll off the throttle and you'll start commin closer to BP and actually be able to pull the bike up INTO BP if your not there directly after clutching it up.

A 954 is a pretty damn large bike to be learning wheelies on... thats alot of power but if your careful and LEARN THAT REAR BRAKE you should be ok (GET A CAGE). Also to teach yourself to use the rear brake every time befor you clutch it up apply preasure to the rear brake just enough to feel it slowing you down alittle bit (this will tell you that once you apply preasure your goin to come back down). Now once you clutch it up hit that rear brake whether your near BP or not. You gotta get it stuck in your mind to use that brake. because it will save your *** more than a few times in the future.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:33 PM

truekaotik is an unknown quantity at this point

if u feel comfortable with sit downs by all means start there , and moving ur a$$ back does help with knowing where u are ull get it just takes time . and realize somepeople are one sided on this forumand think they have all the answers but just months ago were the ones askin the questions or still have the squid stamp of approval so read other threads and make that discision on ur own.every body i know started with sitdowns screwin around till they wanted to go farther then hit those stand ups.throttle (what they call power wheelie) /clutch who cares! as long as its comfortable to u.notice the ones that say dont do it are the ones that cant do it. my
Old 02-25-2005, 05:01 PM

yea ive read that thread alot...

ill try to stand on the front pegs and clutch it up...that seems like it would be hard to hit the rear brake in that position tho?

i got 5" crash pegs and swingarm spools so it wont totally be ****ed

how important is it to lower your rear tire?? I took my guage out to lower it to 20psi but didnt do it....
Old 02-25-2005, 05:14 PM

Those frame sliders arnt goin to help to much when that bike comes crashin down from a 12 and pancakes on its side... trust me been there, cracked plastics, scratched lots of ****, broken stator cover the works. Sliders are pretty much meant for tipping onto its side and sliding (hence sliders). Squidmark had those Extended Frame sliders on his bike when he wrecked and they worked somewhat... till the bike got catapolted into the air and it decimated everything from the tank up (including part of the tank) and that was only at 40 MPH. Get a cage if you plan on gettin into stunting. It'll pay for itself over and over again.

And i relize im very one sided as far as power wheelies/clutching goes. Its been discussed many times on this forum which is better and pretty much every time it has been discussed clutching has come out on top. But hey do whatever your comfortable with

Everyone pretty much starts with sitdowns, i did. But then i grabbed nut sack one day and started doing standups. After about my 4th standup attempt i hit (what i thought at the time) Balance point and NEVER looked back at sitdowns cause i was so pumped (just starting to get used to them now). At that time i had about 1 month of riding experience on anything with a motor.

For me the rear brake is much harder to hit in a sitdown position then a standup but you can adjust that stuff. Just take your time, dont get frustrated and learn at your own pace. Things get broken and ego's get hurt when you rush yourself. Good luck

Ohh... and get some god damn gloves are you nuts!!! the first thing to hit the ground besides your knees or *** is your hands!
Old 02-25-2005, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by truekaotik
and realize somepeople are one sided on this forum and think they have all the answers but just months ago were the ones askin the questions or still have the squid stamp of approval so read other threads and make that discision on ur own. Notice the ones that say dont do it are the ones that cant do it. my
If this comment was at all directed at me tell me where in my post i gave one word of false advice?

Notice also that the ones that recommend not doing power wheelies are the pro's. (not saying im anywhere close to a pro)

Outa the countless apon countless stunt vids i have on my computer i cant really think of any that ive seen someone doing power wheelies in
Old 02-25-2005, 06:02 PM

first off what is ur definition of a power wheelie. Second, how do u know ?there is music in most vids covering the sound of the bike .
My definition of a pwr wh. is someone who pwrs up the bike w/ throttle or clutch (doesnt matter)and hammers that throttle to the limiter with out ever commin close to BP( accelerating at all times). hence "power" wheelie. and if ur sayin that power is just usin the throttle and no clutch and still getting it to BP to me it is throttle not pwr. I know several peeps thaat very rarely use there clutch past 1st gear. Dont get me wrong i love the clutch! but i can throttle it up or clutch it at any time (except dead stoped u have to releas the clutch anyway to go)and its at BP either way. but peeps are different on how they learn and what worked for u might not work for them so u have to give options on how to do things .thats all im sayin.Ive seen ur vids ur gettin better. and in no way am i sayin im a pro either im just tryin to give these cat some real help.not sarcasim or degrading info ,I dont post what i dont know either."just tryin to make stuntlife better one post at a time" LOL
Old 02-25-2005, 06:11 PM

bobbo750 is an unknown quantity at this point

have you tried to bounce it up in second gear, that was how i learned less power going to the rear wheel, better control.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:43 PM

my definition of a power wheelie is just wackin the throttle open to bring it to BP. But yes your right a "bad clutched wheelie" can turn into a power wheelie (occationaly i do that myself with sitdowns) and just chase it to rev limiter.

I dont give options to people because i just state how i do things and let them base what they wanna do off what info i give them. Since i do everything the same way on my bike i cant really give alot of diff options on how to do them, although have read alot of diff ways ppl do things. It all comes down to gettin the front wheel in the air in the safest way possible. And to me the safest way has always seemed to be clutchin it.

In no way am i saying its the only way to do things. Its just how i do things
Old 02-25-2005, 06:52 PM

customGT nova and I apologize for screwin up ur thread but we have keept it up top for a min.HHHHAAAAA
Old 02-25-2005, 11:00 PM
FHL
I Chose to No Longer Post

FHL is a decent person

Roll on wheelie = rolling on the throttle, power wheelie = bounce or compressing forks by snapping the throttle off and on, chasing a wheelie = not balanced.
Old 02-26-2005, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by FHL
Roll on wheelie = rolling on the throttle, power wheelie = bounce or compressing forks by snapping the throttle off and on, chasing a wheelie = not balanced.
hhahahhaha what ever u guys call it? at least now I know ur guys version.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:43 PM

ive been practicin some more on clutching it. Just trying to get the feel of how to release the clutch smoothly so it will catch and come up. I only pop them up like half a foot, i can get it to come up most of the time unlike before....

just figured id give a little update on my progress lol
Old 03-06-2005, 11:54 PM

MIKE_SR is an unknown quantity at this point

besides a helmet....gloves are the most important thing to wear.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:05 AM

Spencer75south is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DeltonaStunna
besides a helmet....gloves are the most important thing to wear.
****, im glad im not the only person who saw that.
DUDE, WHERE YOUR GLOVES. if you like skin on your hands you need to wear gloves. i didnt like them at first but they make a world of difference.

even if it doesnt feel right, WEAR THEM.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:36 AM

wuduhel is an unknown quantity at this point

i can't ride without my gloves. the controls feel weird
Old 03-07-2005, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by wuduhel
i can't ride without my gloves. the controls feel weird
I second that.

I can also feel the controls with my Alpinstar SM-X gloves just as well as i can without gloves. WEAR THEM or you will not have skin left on your hands. When your crashing you dont think "oh i cant touch the ground with my hands" you just do.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:40 AM

KF_Chris is a decent person

+1 to the gloves, I ride slow with joe rocket pheonix gloves and icon villian on the street. when you go down, you'll understand why their needed

Quick Reply: Need advice, learnin to wheelie