Power Wheelies!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 11:53 PM

truekaotik is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Power Wheelies!?!?

Originally Posted by cbr6rr
Listen up, I'm no pro - but I know I'm right.

The key to riding a nice wheelie is balance point. It does not matter how you choose to get your front end up there as long as your in control. It is personal preference whether you use the clutch or just throttle ( power, bounce, whatever...). I know guys on litre bikes that tend to use the clutch, just like I know guys on 600's with no gearing changes that wish they didn't have to use they're clutches( on the hi-way). I can lift my front end either way. I prefer to use my clutch for all sit-down and most first gear wheelies. If I'm starting a stand-up anywhere from 30 to 90MPH, I personally will never use my clutch. The key is doing whatever you are comfortable with, in your bike's capabilities.

POWER WHEELIES KILL is true, but you have to know that statement has nothing to do with the method of lifting your front end. You can start a deadly power wheelie with the clutch.

Let's say you ride a wheelie for a 1/4 mile, if you stay at about the same speed from start to finish, you spent some time in BP under control.

Now say someone wheelies that same 1/4 mile, only this person starts their wheelie at 40MPH and ends it at 100MPH. That is a "DEADLY POWER WHEELIE". They did not use balance or BP to carry that distance. The only thing that made them go a 1/4 mile was POWER and ACCELERATION. Also the front end would be well below BP.

In my OPINION anyone trying wheelies at first should not use the clutch.
Start with first gear roll-ons and don't try to get your front wheel up high.
Concentrate on learning throttle control so your smooth and not going up-down, up-down, from throttle jockeying. This will help you avoid flipping when you do start to get up higher.

By the way, one of my first wheelies on film was posted above on this thread by finny76 (the CBR954), it's nothing special though.

If your gonna slam me for anything I've just stated, save it for someone that wants to hear it.

Does anyone agree ???
finally someone with real help for this guy .............. BRAVO
my
Old 02-24-2005, 12:15 AM

catach42 is an unknown quantity at this point

4 16 yr olds starting riding this summer. 3 learned to wheelie using the power, one with the clutch. the one who learned with the clutch watched his bike flip down the road after he looped, the rest of us are all still yet to loop
Old 02-24-2005, 05:32 AM

DoodleF4i can only hope to improve

i learned all my **** from power and was fine,but clutching is the best way to go..
Old 02-24-2005, 05:54 AM

Albgixxer is an unknown quantity at this point

Same here. I started with power wheelies and then tried clutching. Now I clutch them up everywhere. Its like a sickness. I can't ride without clutchin here, clutchin there. All over the damn place I'm picking the front tire up just because I can. I can't help it I'm sick
Old 02-24-2005, 09:22 AM

Pflepnuts is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: Power Wheelies!?!?

Originally Posted by Albgixxer
Same here. I started with power wheelies and then tried clutching. Now I clutch them up everywhere. Its like a sickness. I can't ride without clutchin here, clutchin there. All over the damn place I'm picking the front tire up just because I can. I can't help it I'm sick
why did you dig this old *** thread up???

But anyway as I've previously stated I AM THE POWER WHOOLIE MASTA.
I dont even have a clucth on my bike, i just drop the r's and kick to the next gear.

to my power whoolies.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:10 PM

Pigott666gsxr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gundamms07b
^this guy is an ***.

Your the ***...................nice 10 speed LOOSER........
hey check the other guys post 240 witch basically say's the same thing that I did....who's the ***.......
Old 03-30-2005, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Pigott666gsxr
Your the ***...................nice 10 speed LOOSER........
hey check the other guys post 240 witch basically say's the same thing that I did....who's the ***.......

***** WONT EVEN REPLY>>>>>>>>>JUST BEAT KID.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by mothon
can anyone explain the basics of doing a wheelie

"There are two kinds of wheelies: power wheelies and clutched wheelies. A power wheelie uses the bike's motor to get the front wheel up. You get the revs up near the bike's torque peak and goose the throttle to snap the front end up. On a 1000cc bike this is easy--just snap the throttle at around 6000 rpm and it wheelies. A smaller bike such as a 600 needs a little help. On these, I'll roll the rpm up higher, then chop the gas and snap it on again. Chopping the throttle will cause the front end to dive for an instant, and the rebounding of the fork will help the front end come up when you snap the throttle back on. On a 600, you almost have to open the throttle all the way to the stop to get the front end up under power. A literbike takes much less throttle--snap my CBR954RR to the stop and you'll be on your *** instantly. That's why I don't like power wheelies--you're dealing with a lot of power, and the possibility of looping the bike is greater.

"I prefer clutched wheelies; the front comes up quicker and you're lower in the rev range when you bring the front end up, so you're not going as fast and you've got more time to find the balance point before you hit the rev limiter. For a clutched wheelie, I'll pull the clutch in, just enough to cause the rpm to rise up to the torque peak, and then let it out quickly. I'm pulling the clutch in just slightly, just into the friction zone. The revs rise for a split second, and then I drop the clutch--don't ease it out--and back off the throttle incrementally as the front end comes up. The higher the front wheel goes the less throttle is needed to keep it up. Backing off keeps the bike from going over.

"Either way, on power or with the clutch, I keep my arms stiff, squeeze the tank with my legs and always cover the rear brake. If things get ugly, you just tap the rear brake and both wheels are back on the ground. If you're looking straight ahead, when you can't see over the bike you know you're getting close to the balance point."

This was taken out of Super Street bike.....THIS IS NOT ME
Old 04-04-2005, 02:29 PM

Pflepnuts is an unknown quantity at this point

just let it die...this thread is officially DEAD.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:56 AM

palladin18 is an unknown quantity at this point

clutch it up and you will feel the bp kick in

power wheelies are a good way to start, but just ask the starboyz or streetfighterz or outermost or dme emtreme what they do.

you think that power is the way to go cause you dont know how good it is to clutch it up
Old 04-05-2005, 08:55 PM

JimmyOOOOO is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tannar_zane
like i said before, everyone that's good was once a squid.

and you're a squid.
and you're an a55hole... so what?

Just had a nice conversation with somebody who TEACHES WHEELIES today, and he basically said that power wheelies are the best way to learn because the only thing you have to worry about is throttle control... not how much you're pulling in the clutch, what RPMs are at, catching yourself with the back brake... none of that sh|t.

But hey, what the hell do the Starboyz know, right?
Old 04-05-2005, 09:35 PM

kidstunta is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by doodle13245
they say its uncontrollable which is the biggest sack of **** ever..your bike has areas of the RPM range that peak more power...so if you bounce at 8k rpms and it hits the BP at say 10 its gonna have more power than before making you go back more...but anyone that has clutching on lock should have powering up also its just a matter of THROTTLE control if you know when to ease off the gas and when to ease back on then you'll have no problem...its basicly the same thing as in any wheelie it has to be adjusted with either the throttle or the brake....
Now thats what Im sayin too