Stunt Bike Forum

Stunt Bike Forum (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/)
-   Service, Repair, and Maintenance (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/444-service-repair-maintenance)
-   -   Power Wheelies!?!? (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/444-service-repair-maintenance/104044-power-wheelies.html)

onsighter514d 12-12-2004 09:30 AM

Power Wheelies!?!?

I know everyone says power wheelies are garbage and clutching is the way to go, but I couldnt get comfy clutching first gear while standing, so I started bouncind em up and it comes up smoother and more consistantly. Now if I could only figue out how high I am :shruggs How do you know? When your sitting you can see the bike, but not really when your standing. Just thought I'd throw that out there and see what you guys (and girls) thought. :YEAH

NovaMan 12-12-2004 11:49 AM

Re: Power Wheelies!?!?

well once you get flipped over on your back... you hit BP ;)

when standing there is no real "visual" way of telling your in BP except that you can see you front wheel spining and your pretty much standing straight up on the bike.

Oh by the way quit the damn power wheelies, there only goin to get you hurt later. Be patient and learn the right way.

onsighter514d 12-12-2004 12:02 PM

well once you get flipped over on your back... you hit BP
yeah, im just asking why people say power wheelies are so dangerous? Yes, if you roll on a liter bikes power, the front will slowly lift to a certain point then sky rocket, but when i bounce my r6, it comes comes up smooth and at a consistant rate. It feels smoother and more comfortable then when I clutch it. Don't hate me, I'm not telling people to go power wheelie, im just sharring my opinion. :cheers

tannar_zane 12-12-2004 12:07 PM

[QUOTE=onsighter514d]well once you get flipped over on your back... you hit BP
yeah, im just asking why people say power wheelies are so dangerous? Yes, if you roll on a liter bikes power, the front will slowly lift to a certain point then sky rocket, but when i bounce my r6, it comes comes up smooth and at a consistant rate. It feels smoother and more comfortable then when I clutch it. Don't hate me, I'm not telling people to go power wheelie, im just sharring my opinion. :cheers[/QUOTE]
well you're 1st mistake is the R6. lol - secondly, a power wheelie is an "uncontrolled" wheelie. just hammering the shit outta the throttle and raising the front wheel is not a wheelie in my book. it's dangerous. practice my young grasshoppa, practice!!!!

if there is anyone that stunts in your area, get with them. being around the guys that know what they're doing really helps ya out. :)

wintersucks 12-12-2004 12:08 PM

For me, sitting down i feel far more comfortable clutching it up, but on the other hand i began doing standups by starting sitting down, then slow, and i do mean slowly extending my legs into a standup. This takes a certain deal of precise weight transfer and throttle positioning cause u are putting more weight to the rear of the bike and it will want to fall over backwards. this gave me a decent idea of where the BP was standing. 2. For NovaMan, sharp F2 but what is so wrong with doing the power wheelies? After you got down the feel of a standup, it is a piece of cake and easier on the bike to. So in closing, Sit downs=i use the clutch, Stand-ups=i always just bounce it up. no clutch involved there.

also. ride next to someone else when they do it and watch what they do. have someone take some pics of you. that is always a good way to see what you are doing while riding and can help in fixing problems.

NovaMan 12-12-2004 12:21 PM

whats wrong with power wheelies is exactly what Tanner said, there an "uncontrolled" wheelie and are dangerous.

Your better off in the long run to learn the right way cause lets see you power up a wheelie from dead stop and rock some slow shit? You cant, Im not hating that hes doing power wheelies at all, im just tellin him to learn the right way and it may save some med bills.

Clutching up a wheelie has been talked about many many times as if its hard on the bikes or not. Granted its goin to ware down the clutch alittle faster then normal but other than that its harmless.

I went riding yesterday for the first time in months with other people (was 60* out) and there was a kid on a F3 trying to power wheelie all day and it just looked sooo out of controll and... well like shit lol. Every time he came close to BP i thought he was goin over but he'd chop the throttle and come down hard as hell.

So of course me bein me every time he'd do a power wheelie and set it down id clutch one up and just ride it out and past him and look over at home nodding my head.

If you know how to controll a power wheelies (which some people on this forum do) then great. But when your learning wheelies... not such a great idea. :2cents

Ecentrik 12-12-2004 12:27 PM

yeah man... i am on the 250. i just started tryin to rock slow shit and to do that u have to use clutch!!!! the first reason would be its alot easier to come up :) heh go 1-3mph and clutch the hell out of it and USE BRAKE hehehe i will get video so u can laugh later lol! hehe god I am actually fallin in <3 with this bike. :fiddy

onsighter514d 12-12-2004 12:29 PM

If you know how to controll a power wheelies (which some people on this forum do) then great. But when your learning wheelies... not such a great idea.

Thats all im saying, if you know what your doin and you can actually control it, it can be almost as safe as clutching. Ive seen some guys stand and bounce and it is deffinatly in control and looks :apimp and clean as shit! :cheers

wintersucks 12-12-2004 12:31 PM

True, true. they do take time to learn and i never liked doing power wheelies on my F3, but now that is the way i do my standups. I agree with you that clutching it is harder on the clutch, but hey how much does a clutch really cost. Power whelies on my F3, maybe it was just not enough practice, but ya were pretty scary looking. so i am not disagreeing with you, just putting out the way i sorta learned.

but you gotta say something for the guys that can just pull up next to you at highway speeds and pull one up from nothing more than a little bounce.

tannar_zane 12-12-2004 12:32 PM

[QUOTE=NovaMan]whats wrong with power wheelies is exactly what Tanner said, there an "uncontrolled" wheelie and are dangerous.

Your better off in the long run to learn the right way cause lets see you power up a wheelie from dead stop and rock some slow shit? You cant, Im not hating that hes doing power wheelies at all, im just tellin him to learn the right way and it may save some med bills.

Clutching up a wheelie has been talked about many many times as if its hard on the bikes or not. Granted its goin to ware down the clutch alittle faster then normal but other than that its harmless.

I went riding yesterday for the first time in months with other people (was 60* out) and there was a kid on a F3 trying to power wheelie all day and it just looked sooo out of controll and... well like shit lol. Every time he came close to BP i thought he was goin over but he'd chop the throttle and come down hard as hell.

So of course me bein me every time he'd do a power wheelie and set it down id clutch one up and just ride it out and past him and look over at home nodding my head.

If you know how to controll a power wheelies (which some people on this forum do) then great. But when your learning wheelies... not such a great idea. :2cents[/QUOTE]
exactly...

also, anyone will tell you - you'll wreck from a sit down A LOOOTTTTT faster than a stand up. because soooooo many people have no idea how to handle a bike on one wheel. for instance:

when sitting down, you're entire body weight is basically glued to the bike. if the bike shifts left, you have to completely shift your weight to the right, and so on. however, standing up... your weight is not attached to the bike at all. this helps in lots of ways, the bike doesn't want to stride left and right, and it never gets offbalance at all. you can control it WAAYYYYYY easier.

put it this way. people that say "sitting down and power wheelieing it up feels much better". well, how do you know when you've never done it the right way???? trust me. trust any stunter. if you ever get to that level you'll wonder what the HELL you were thinking. lol

sometimes i see squids going down the highway and i just shake my head in shame, because i know that mofo's gonna be feelin' some hot ass pavement one day. but, in any case, no matter how much anyone talks shit about it.... we were all once there. lol

NovaMan 12-12-2004 12:39 PM

[QUOTE=tannar_zane]exactly...

sometimes i see squids going down the highway and i just shake my head in shame, because i know that mofo's gonna be feelin' some hot ass pavement one day. but, in any case, no matter how much anyone talks shit about it.... we were all once there. lol[/QUOTE]

Nope, ive never tried power wheelies haha. Squidmark told me from the day i started riding how to clutch wheelies (then i learned on my own) and i litterally cant do power wheelies. Like ill just be ****in around and try to do one and it'll come up off the ground a foot if im lucky its so funny. But i really dont care cause i have no intention of doing power wheelies anyway. Although ive seen a vid where a guy brings up a wheelie with only his right hand on the bike which looked cool. That 1 trick is the only advantage i see outa doing a power wheelie, otherwise theres no excuse in my book.

onsighter514d 12-12-2004 12:45 PM

When you clutch it, you slip the clutch and get on the gas. When i power, i bounce and get on the gas. The wheel is coming up at the same speed, but i dont get the real sudden leap that i get when i clutch. Its just been smoother for me. Explain the big deal. :shruggs

onsighter514d 12-12-2004 12:49 PM

I'm not snapping the throttle to the stop. It's mostly the weight transfer when i lean back that brings it up. I'm not snapping it up at full throttle.

tannar_zane 12-12-2004 01:16 PM

okay, here goes:

you don't slip the clutch... you feather it. REALLY quickly. think of it like this.... you're at a stop light, it turns green, you have the clutch in and no gas, and you're in 1st gear. what do you do??? you let off the clutch some, and at the same time you're getting on the gas. well, to clutch up a wheelie, it's the SAME THING. you just do it as fast as you can without popping the clutch, causing you to flip. and when i mean as fast as you can, i don't mean to try really hard to do it fast, but don't do it slow or it'll never come up. that's pretty much it. oh and clutches don't go out if you know how to do it ;) only on the slow stuff. ride the highway, and you're clutch won't last a year. lol

onsighter514d 12-12-2004 01:37 PM

Even when i do cluch it, its just to initially get the wheel up, i just power it from there.

tannar_zane 12-12-2004 01:47 PM

[QUOTE=onsighter514d].... its just to initially get the wheel up, i just power it from there.[/QUOTE] well duh. :LOL

onsighter514d 12-12-2004 02:11 PM

[QUOTE=tannar_zane]well duh. :LOL[/QUOTE]
:LOL So whats so different about just using the bikes power to get the wheel up. Thats what im wondering. Why do so many people swear tha power wheelies will kill you? :shruggs

tannar_zane 12-12-2004 02:19 PM

[QUOTE=onsighter514d]:LOL So whats so different about just using the bikes power to get the wheel up. Thats what im wondering. Why do so many people swear tha power wheelies will kill you? :shruggs[/QUOTE]
once again, it's uncontrollable. ;)

onsighter514d 12-12-2004 02:23 PM

[QUOTE=tannar_zane]once again, it's uncontrollable. ;)[/QUOTE]
I can clutch it too hard and save my ass with the brake. I can power it too hard and do the same. what makes it uncontrolled? :shruggs

onsighter514d 12-12-2004 02:37 PM

Think about this. Just a thought. If you bounce and power it up, you are constantly lifting it with the power. you can stop anytime. When you clutch it, once you dump the clutch, thats it, the wheel is going to come up to certain height (depending on rpms, body position, ect.) Do you see what I mean. So what makes you say powering it up is uncontrolled???????????????????????????????