Need help with my 2nd Gear standers..

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2002, 10:35 PM

Zero Descendo is an unknown quantity at this point
Need help with my 2nd Gear standers..

I can now ride 1st gear wheelies all the way to redline but I'm having trouble with my 2nd gear standers..

I've tried standing on the front pegs and also tried on the rear pegs for the last few days.. I've tried going to around 9k letting off the gas and then hitting it back on= nothing. Or, I've gone to around 9k and bounced the hell out of it while giving it a handful of throttle=nothing..maybe a few inches.

I'm not really comfortable trying the clutch yet for a standup..however, even in a 2nd gear sitdown I cant clutch it up (im letting the clutch go around 10k) If clutch is the only way to go for a 2nd gear stand up then let me know, or any other pointers...

and just for the record I have a 00 zx6r.. modded and -1 in front +2 in back

thanks,
Matt
Old 11-02-2002, 03:59 AM

dblbaryl is an unknown quantity at this point
keep practicing on the bounce up technique, timing is crucial. must all be one motion, accelarate, let off, bounce, yank and crank! my old 94cbrf2 could bounce up in third. no joke no clutch just at high rpms.
Old 11-02-2002, 07:44 AM

Tick_9se7en3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Get going in 2nd gear, stand up on the pegs....now here is the tricky party....

Bounce on the pegs, when the bike is at the bottom you want to slip the clutch and give a little gas. I like to slip the cluth using just 1 finger. It just takes practice.
Old 11-02-2002, 01:15 PM

kawisixer is an unknown quantity at this point
rock forward when you go down ad them kinda lean back whlie coming up when yer bouncing. I got a 98 zx-6r same gearing. I have learned to do it. You gotta yank the hell outa the bars. and it's about timing. Our power band on those is a little more down low too. Once you get it once or twice you'll figure it out. You just gotta feel for it. Another thing that will help is have yer gas tank with only like a gallon and a half in it.
Old 11-03-2002, 05:42 AM

Originally posted by kawisixer
rock forward when you go down ad them kinda lean back whlie coming up when yer bouncing. I got a 98 zx-6r same gearing. I have learned to do it. You gotta yank the hell outa the bars. and it's about timing. Our power band on those is a little more down low too. Once you get it once or twice you'll figure it out. You just gotta feel for it. Another thing that will help is have yer gas tank with only like a gallon and a half in it.
so at what rpm are you letting off and gunning it?
Old 11-03-2002, 05:42 PM

kawisixer is an unknown quantity at this point
5500 TO 6500 right around there. It comes up kinda slow but really smooth. The first few times i didn't even realize it was coming up until it I was damn near standin straight up.
Old 11-03-2002, 06:18 PM

5500 TO 6500 right around there. It comes up kinda slow but really smooth. The first few times i didn't even realize it was coming up until it I was damn near standin straight up.
wow thats a lot lower rpm then i've been trying it at, I'll have to take your advice and give it a try..thanks

-matt
Old 11-04-2002, 02:38 AM
2 WHEELS UP!

Kyle_PBZ is a decent person

That's what I would try. You've got more torque at the lower rpm's, plus you're not going as fast so not so scary at first. You shouldn't have to clutch it, it should bounce up in third at about 70mph once you get the technique down. You can also get it up in 2nd and shift to third. Throttle inputs are less touchy that way.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:25 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

jimmyjammer is an unknown quantity at this point
Pogo pogo pogo pogo pogo pogo pogo

BOUNCE

Pogo pogo pogo pogo pogo pogo pogo

Bounce

It's all about the bounce my brother.

Some say you don't need a clutch and everyone has there own technique.

However in my opinion you'll need the clutch to get it up at an acceptable speed and rpm range were you can ride them forever. If you just roll the throttle and bounce them up you'll be going too fast to ride it very far cause you'll run out of motor.

One thing that peeps will never tell you when you are trying to master the clutch/bounce metod is the all important ONE FINGER CLUTCH.

I discoverd this technique after countless tries with the two finger clutch/bounce method. You'll feel like your hand is going to get ripped off the handle bar. Try the one finger clutch bounce method.

So try this action: Get rolling along in second, about 40 mph, stand up and keep your speed at about 40, grab your clutch with one finger your index finger, push the bars down, hit the throttle, dump the clutch and pull all at the same time. It'll come up. Bounce is the key. Once you learn the clutch/speed ratio you'll be able to get it up just with the clutch and no bounce.

Hope this help.

KB
Old 11-05-2002, 06:41 PM

PeteK9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Tick_9se7en3

Bounce on the pegs, when the bike is at the bottom you want to slip the clutch and give a little gas. I like to slip the cluth using just 1 finger. It just takes practice.
What he said that's how I learned
Old 11-12-2002, 06:13 PM

Nick is an unknown quantity at this point
hey i just recently learned how to get my f4 up in 2nd. the easiest way i found was get up in the revs bout 6500 and bounce down on your pegs as well as push down on the handle bars and gas it on your way up or just when you reach the bottom...if it doesn't get up all the way use the momentum of the bike when it comes back down so the bounce will be stronger the next...its timing youll figure it out.....sometimes it takes me 3 bounces to get up to balance....practice safe dude
Old 11-13-2002, 12:07 PM

DBAdrums is an unknown quantity at this point
I learned these at the beginning of last summer on my R6 before I got my RR. As you can see there are different techniques, I find it easier not to use the clutch, just your weight placement and bounce on the pegs. The more you do it, the lower the RPMs will be. Just remember, when you pull on the bars (which I dont do anymore cause you dont really need to), if you pull slightly harder with one hand and the front wheel is turned in the air... makes for a nasty 70mph tankslapper when you come down. Not fun when you are trying to learn bouncers. I think each bike is a little different, but they all want to wheelie. Like every other stunt, just practice your *** off and it will come. Patients, and *****. Good luck Bro.
Old 11-14-2002, 05:18 PM

AfterShock is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Tick_9se7en3

THANK YOU!

I been trying for a long time to bounce them in 2nd. That one-fingered clutch was all I needed! Now I'm ridin them out for a long ways, thanks thanks thanks again.
Old 11-15-2002, 09:20 AM

Tick_9se7en3 is an unknown quantity at this point
No problem, I was messing around with 2 fingers and realized I couldn't really hold onto the handlebar too well. I tried 1 finger and they started comming up, now I'm working on holding it in the balance point.