Help me balance my wheelies!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 03:29 PM

hondacrf150f1 is a decent person
Help me balance my wheelies!!!

Ok here's the story, i started practicing some wheelies a few months ago on a XR650R supermoto. I just started with some quick 1st gear pop ups, which leaded to 2nd gear wheelies. After some practice i learned i was able to pull the bike up in 2nd gear, and shift to 3rd and keep on going. So right now im able to go maby 50-75 feet. But i am useing only throttle to keep the front wheel off the ground, and use engine brakeing to drop back down, and i have yet to learn balance point.

I recently picked up a CRF450R supermoto which i thought would be a lot easier to wheelie. It is easier to pull the front wheel up but i am yet to be able to shift from gear to gear. I find the 450 pulls up hard but doesnt keep pulling in the same gear like the 650.

Anyway i would really like to try some balance point wheelies. I have expiremented with the rear brake to set myself down but never actually needed it. I really dont think i have enough controle with the rear brake to hold myself in the wheelie. I think if i did manige to get to the brake in time i would just slam my front wheel down. And i really dont feel like i can controle the brake while im concentrating on the wheelie

This stuff is the definition of "harder than it looks"....any advise is apprishaited

Last edited by hondacrf150f1; 03-12-2008 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:36 PM

Standupnfall is a decent person
Re: Help me balance my wheelies!!!

Where In CT? Ill be riding in Westchester County NY tonight around 7. Just keep going higher and higher, inch by inch and you will notice the revs rising slower. Also, work on first gear till you get the brake down, There is less engine break the higher the gear
Old 03-13-2008, 01:23 PM
540 BOYZ SUMO STUNTER

E-Loc540 is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah it takes some time..I learned bp wheelies on my motard the hard way with no 12 bar. stay in first and pop them up quick and fast...turn your idle up and tell yourself (if i come back too far just hit the back brake....thats all you have to do...it sounds hard....i learned BP in a week or so granted I already had some experience riding long distance wheelies
Old 03-13-2008, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by E-Loc540
yeah it takes some time..I learned bp wheelies on my motard the hard way with no 12 bar. stay in first and pop them up quick and fast...turn your idle up and tell yourself (if i come back too far just hit the back brake....thats all you have to do...it sounds hard....i learned BP in a week or so granted I already had some experience riding long distance wheelies
I was thinking of having a buddy of mine fabricate up a 12 bar for me....i want something bolt on so i can rip it off for races and track days. I just got the bike last week so i dont no much about it yet, but im quessing the subframe doesnt have the strength to have a 12 bar bolted right on there...first time i went over hard it would proble bend....?
Old 03-14-2008, 02:22 AM

mythicalstunter is a decent person

20 slow wheelies a day for 300 days =6000 wheelies in first gear with your foot on the brake there is no shortcut Like learning to walk its time. All the info is in the stidky threads theres no trick to it its practise . But if you still need some advise Its 1st gear up to bp as quick as possible and catch it with the brake gently Ps the crf is the **** youll know that when you high enough .
Old 03-17-2008, 04:01 PM

does anybody else find it really hard to cover the rear brake? My feet are normally pointed out and im kinda leaning back and pulling up a little to get the front in the air.

I tried putting my XR650R rear tire at 18 pounds today and went out for 15 minites or so....i found it harder to pull up in 2nd or 3rd, but it did pull up slower and much smoother...i was able to pull up in 1st a few times but only shifted to 2nd and then dropped it down. 1st gear just seams to low to balance

I am still unable to shift the 450 mid wheelie , i think its due to the shorter stroke of the 450, it makes a big burst of power at the right RPM, but doesnt have much at all if its not in the power band, while the 650 makes power all the way through.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by mythicalstunter
But if you still need some advise Its 1st gear up to bp as quick as possible and catch it with the brake gently Ps the crf is the **** youll know that when you high enough.
I relize what you mean now...it just took a little riding time to get used to the CRF. I can know pull up in 2nd or 3rd and ride it out in 3rd and 4th, i can proble go close to 150 feet. I pull the CRF up in 2nd and get right at that point where it feels tippy and shift to 3rd and let off the gas a little, then back on it in 3rd, and i find myself blipping the throttle very quickly to keep it going. (same thing in 4th)

The CRF is an awsome bike for wheelies, really lets you no your gona go over before you actually are...im still not covering the rear brake though , but the engine breaking and throttle controle seams like all you need.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:24 PM

Nellie636 is a decent person

all my 2nd gear and up wheelies are without the brake unless im trying to slow it down, i even ride 1st gears no brake when im on the streets so i dont get ran over for going too slow. (if you take air out of the tires you lose power but gain stability for slower wheelies...) for 2nd gear and up dont let too much out thats how u get wobbles. throttle control is where its at
Old 03-25-2008, 08:35 PM

JustaGixxerNoob is a decent person

good advice here.. thanks i learned from his a lil
Old 03-26-2008, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by JustaGixxerNoob
good advice here.. thanks i learned from his a lil
Yeah awsome advice, this + practice really helps. Im not to far away from being able to ride from 1st gear all the way to 5th gear in a wheelie. Like 10 MPH to 60. I just havent been able to go from 4th to 5th yet because im setting it down. The bike isant quite as stable in the higher gears, and the engine breaking is less and less.

Next step is to try to balance it in 1 gear as long as i can i suppose.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:46 PM

Standupnfall is a decent person

Practice rear brake instead of racing down the road through all your gears. That doesnt sound like BP to me Slow down and remember that once you get BP you dont have to shift anymore. Use the brake, SERIOUSLY
Old 03-27-2008, 12:36 AM

s_10onbagz is an unknown quantity at this point

good to see you on this forum too. just get at stunting like it's your job. if you have a dirt rear sprocket it wont hurt to try it out. the hardest part about bp is trusting the rear brake will keep you from looping.
standupnfall, where in westchester do you stunt?
Old 03-29-2008, 05:59 PM

54RR is a decent person

on a dirt bike, do u have to shift to keep it up? or u can ride it in the same gear if u can balance it? rear clutch and catch : after u get it up like in E-LOCK pic, u shut the throttle close and apply the rear brake when u r past bp? or u stay a little on the gas?