Am I at balance point?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 01:29 PM

mistermcgoo is a decent person
Am I at balance point?

I'm doing staggered stand ups in 2nd gear on my k7 gsxr 600. I usually get to about 45mph, slip the clutch and it comes up nice and smooth (all on stock sprockets). I just started doing them about a month or two ago and I used to just ride them out to redline, so I'm guessing I'm just at about 10 o'clock or so. Anyway, the other day I decided to say f*** it and I gave it a little extra throttle when it was coming up and purposely went past that "oh sh*t" point that I used to stay under because it scared the crap out of me lol. Well, it was without a doubt the longest and most controlled stand up I've done yet! I'm wondering if I've actually made it to balance point?? Unfortunately I ride mostly by myself so there's no way for me to tell how high I am. When I have it up it feels (in my head anyway) as if I'm rocking it back and forth smoothly using the thottle between 10:45 and 11:15. I don't seem to be running out of rpm's either. From what I've read people say when you're at BP it feels like you're just gliding and you don't have to give it any gas.. However, I've seen a ton of videos on youtube of guys wearing a gopro while wheeling at balance point and you can literally see the front tire dip and rise sporatically throughout the wheelie as they play with the throttle. To me it feels like I'm doing the same thing. I just started getting them at this height, so once I get more consistent and comfortable with it I'm going to have to learn to use the rear brake.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:36 PM

mistermcgoo is a decent person
Re: Am I at balance point?

Here's a video I threw together of my buddies and I when I used to ride a lot with other people. I'm the one on the blue gixxer, that was when I was riding them out lower and to redline. My friend on the maroon and black 750 gets them way up there, and get this... he said he never uses his rear brake! Just engine breaking to bring it down. I don't know how he can use engine breaking when he's that vertical, I'm truly afraid he's going to dump it eventually.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:34 PM

45stunnaz is a decent person

on one part of that vid your friend is killin redline whatever gear hes in.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:09 PM

YSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really nice

Balance point is any point where you ARE NOT giving more throttle to keep the bike in the air. angle, speed, rider weight/position/location on the bike all effect this.

If you are confident in your skills, try putting your left foot on the rear passenger peg (i suggest having it welded so that it cant fold up or at the very least, be aware that IT CAN fold up on you.) Find a nice straight smooth road where you can focus on getting a straight smooth tall wheelie. Gracefully allow the bike to come back further while you FEATHER the rear brake to keep balance. You will find BP very fast. The bike will start to slow down. This is very simple if you have some finesse. Where you are at in the videos feels like you are about to flip but in reality you have alot further back to go before looping the bike. As I stated before, the key word is FINESSE! if you dont get it the first time, no big deal, practice. You may not even get it the first day riding but eventually it will just click. Learning brake control is critical. after a while it will become second nature. (I assume no responsibility for the info above, use this information at your own risk. wear proper safety gear)

Id also like to add that using the rear passenger peg is considered cheating but it will give you a better stance on the bike suitable for learning how to use the rear brake and your foot will be in a more comfortable position to actuate the rear brake. Once you have this down you can transfer back to the rearset. This also makes steering the bike to the right more difficult.

Last edited by YSRRider; 10-14-2013 at 03:12 PM.