learning wheelies, question

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 11:38 AM

mitsuman is a decent person
learning wheelies, question

well i just learned this weekend how to clutch up and sustain. i am still chasing but i mean its my 2nd day trying wheelies so what am i to expect. I want to slow them down but first gear is super short due to previous owner changing the sprockets out so its even harder to control. can i up it in 2nd at lower rpms? i will try it later anyways but just thought id ask. thanks

-1/2+

for kicks...

http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=9586eb90.pbr

Last edited by mitsuman; 10-15-2007 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:16 PM
Free Riders

AnthonyR6 is a decent person
Re: learning wheelies, question

Looks good for second day bro.
I'm still chasing bp like you. But I can get it a little higher then that. Try standing and leaning back, and clutch it up higher. Cover that rear brake, saves ya every time.

Also,

the previous owner on my bike, also switched out for a smaller sprocket so I'm dealing with the same thing. I think you should deffinitly try second and see how it feels but don't practice too much in second. I hit it up in second every once in a while but I wouldn't practice too much in it, it's too fast. I would hate to drop it at a fast speed. I don't have a cage or frame sliders.

Also,

If we keep practicing with our twitchy 1st gears, and master it, we can wheelie anything!

be safe.

Last edited by AnthonyR6; 10-15-2007 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by AnthonyR6
Looks good for second day bro.
I'm still chasing bp like you. But I can get it a little higher then that. Try standing and leaning back, and clutch it up higher. Cover that rear brake, saves ya every time.

Also,

the previous owner on my bike, also switched out for a smaller sprocket so I'm dealing with the same thing. I think you should deffinitly try second and see how it feels but don't practice too much in second. I hit it up in second every once in a while but I wouldn't practice too much in it, it's too fast. I would hate to drop it at a fast speed. I don't have a cage or frame sliders.

Also,

If we keep practicing with our twitchy 1st gears, and master it, we can wheelie anything!

be safe.
ya i tried to pop it up standing and i could not get it. i feel like i have no balance. not sure if having a bald rear tire effects that at all. I will be trying the pass foot peg and covering rear brake tonight.

i got a cage so im not worried about dropping it, but the cage wont help a high speed fall.

and ya i know what ya mean, thats exactly what i was thinking too, if i can get this first gear down being all sensative, will be easy once i switch it out. thanks
Old 10-15-2007, 03:19 PM
White Stunts

ImWhite is an unknown quantity at this point

keep practicing bro. and thank you for not askin what size sprocket u should get to slow wheelies down
good luck on the progress
Old 10-15-2007, 04:18 PM

Hajinomoto1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you bought my friend's r6; 905 cage, hindle pipe, and acerbis light?

*TIPS*
-Learn 1st gear. And only first, until you have instinctive rear brake control. Looping in second is alot more knarly than in first.

-Learn staggard standups. The position may feel wierd at first, but just ride on 2 wheels in that position to get a sense of the bike's side to side balance.

-Don't wheelie past parked cars at that speed while learning.

Goodluck :YEAH
Old 10-15-2007, 04:57 PM

keithk76 is an unknown quantity at this point

i would find a more secluded place to practice. definetly try standin staggered it will come up a lot easier and you have a better sense as to how high you actually are.try slowin down to about 10-15 before you clutch it up and then practice givin it more and more gas before releasing the clutch to bring it higher and higher. cover the rear brake and learn to use it!! im glad you are wearing your gear.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Hajinomoto1
I think you bought my friend's r6; 905 cage, hindle pipe, and acerbis light?

*TIPS*
-Learn 1st gear. And only first, until you have instinctive rear brake control. Looping in second is alot more knarly than in first.

-Learn staggard standups. The position may feel wierd at first, but just ride on 2 wheels in that position to get a sense of the bike's side to side balance.

-Don't wheelie past parked cars at that speed while learning.

Goodluck :YEAH
haha ya man thats me. ya im going out again tonight to really practice my first gear, i just learned over the weekend to pop it up so i was more going for distance and what not cuz it felt good to keep it up( ha)

the place is pretty secluded believe it or not. was there for about 3 hours the other night, then again yesterday during the day for another 3, only couple cars drove by. i dont know where else to go. if anybody wants to help me out, id appreciate it if someone leaked a cool spot. im not some stupid kid who will try to do 90mph wheelies, i just wanna learn 1st gear standups. and i wont bring anyone with.

i got pretty comfortable with the clutching up so i didn't even think twice about that van, but good call.

btw my shins are killing me haha, i needa pick up some guards after work.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:05 PM

well i went out last night and i just could not get high enough to bp. and i had a hell-of-a-time trying to stand and clutch up in first. i felt like my foot kept slipping off the rear brake. so i had to keep trying them sitting and that was not working out too good. i guess i shouldnt rush?

will try again tonight

will having a bald rear tire make a big difference?

Last edited by mitsuman; 10-16-2007 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:50 AM
Free Riders

AnthonyR6 is a decent person

Originally Posted by mitsuman

will having a bald rear tire make a big difference?

hmmm.. I would imagine so, cause it's not gripping properly.

You need to give more revs in the slip. Your bringing it up a little, and getting on the throttle to bring it up the rest right? Nah, try to clutch it up to balance point or past it, and use your rear brake to bring it down.