Problems getting it up in 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 03:43 PM

rybred is a decent person
Re: Problems getting it up in 2nd

I hear you, but have dumped everything I had into this one and would just like it to preform right! It will be 3 years before I could even think about a new bike! I just don't roll like that. I would love to drop just 500 into it to make it just a little better, but thanks for the advice. I just made a bad decision on it when I was just looking at the look of the thing. DAM
Old 07-27-2007, 05:33 PM

samurai87 is a decent person

Originally Posted by rybred
I hear you, but have dumped everything I had into this one and would just like it to preform right! It will be 3 years before I could even think about a new bike! I just don't roll like that. I would love to drop just 500 into it to make it just a little better, but thanks for the advice. I just made a bad decision on it when I was just looking at the look of the thing. DAM
dude dont listen to them i watched my buddy 12 a old zx9r right in front of my on his 2nd time on the bike....all it takes is time. is it a grea stunt bike? NO but will it suffice til you can learn the basics of throttle and brake control until you get a different bike? YES!!!!

my bike is newer and its a 600 so i dnnt quiet knwo what to tell you rpm wise but id have to say when im in 2nd when i was stock geared i would go about 40ish.....pull in clutch try revin to like 7-9ish rpms then pop it...if nothin then rev higher
Old 07-30-2007, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by samurai87
dude dont listen to them i watched my buddy 12 a old zx9r right in front of my on his 2nd time on the bike....all it takes is time. is it a grea stunt bike? NO but will it suffice til you can learn the basics of throttle and brake control until you get a different bike? YES!!!!

my bike is newer and its a 600 so i dnnt quiet knwo what to tell you rpm wise but id have to say when im in 2nd when i was stock geared i would go about 40ish.....pull in clutch try revin to like 7-9ish rpms then pop it...if nothin then rev higher
You have been great! TY Much for the info! Well, i went out on Sunday with the boys to hit the twisties and my buddy got it up in second by just powering it up. I was so jellous! He said the only way is to bounce it, and I have not got this down yet, and that it's easyer standing! Not sure about that, because it's so intimidating. I will work on it and let you know, I have my bike with me today at work! Once again, thank you!!!!!
Old 07-30-2007, 10:08 AM

You have been great! TY Much for the info! Well, i went out on Sunday with the boys to hit the twisties and my buddy got it up in second by just powering it up. I was so jellous! He said the only way is to bounce it, and I have not got this down yet, and that it's easyer standing! Not sure about that, because it's so intimidating. I will work on it and let you know, I have my bike with me today at work! Once again, thank you!!!!!

no problem man learning can be frustrating the important thing is while your learning your bike and the limitations as well as how to wheelie just stay slow and controlled and take your time....dont rush things and ride out of your abilities. If i were you I would confine my wheelies to the parking lot until you relaly got your **** on lock, cars arent as forgiving if you fall....as far as the bounce and body position it comes in time as you get more comfortable with the feeling of wheeling as well as much practice.....im starting to get my timing down better and my body position as well, but i still have a ways to go and i work on it as much as possible. The key is jus feeling things out....go out and get your left foot on the rear peg in 1st gear...and go like 5-10mph max. Try and clutch it with jus a lil bit of throttle....chances are nothin will happen, and jus keep increasin the amount of throttle until the tire comes up. As you feel the tire coming up stand up with the bike and jus kinda feel things out. You will have much mroe control in a staggered stance wheelie then a sit down while your learning....plus if you freak out cuz you think your really high, have a buddy video you so you can see that your not as high as you think you are, it will give you more confidence to dip it back without fear of gorilla scraping your exhaust.

just my .02 remember im still learning as well my friend :YEAH
Old 07-30-2007, 11:12 AM

tsenfw is a decent person

no problem man learning can be frustrating the important thing is while your learning your bike and the limitations as well as how to wheelie just stay slow and controlled and take your time....dont rush things and ride out of your abilities. If i were you I would confine my wheelies to the parking lot until you relaly got your **** on lock, cars arent as forgiving if you fall....as far as the bounce and body position it comes in time as you get more comfortable with the feeling of wheeling as well as much practice.....im starting to get my timing down better and my body position as well, but i still have a ways to go and i work on it as much as possible. The key is jus feeling things out....go out and get your left foot on the rear peg in 1st gear...and go like 5-10mph max. Try and clutch it with jus a lil bit of throttle....chances are nothin will happen, and jus keep increasin the amount of throttle until the tire comes up. As you feel the tire coming up stand up with the bike and jus kinda feel things out. You will have much mroe control in a staggered stance wheelie then a sit down while your learning....plus if you freak out cuz you think your really high, have a buddy video you so you can see that your not as high as you think you are, it will give you more confidence to dip it back without fear of gorilla scraping your exhaust.

just my .02 remember im still learning as well my friend :YEAH
Awesome explanation. That answers some questions I had after reading the sticky like 30 times. Do you lean back a little while doing standups? Or is it more just standing straight up and down? Hard to tell from videos.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by tsenfw
Awesome explanation. That answers some questions I had after reading the sticky like 30 times. Do you lean back a little while doing standups? Or is it more just standing straight up and down? Hard to tell from videos.

I'm still playin around with where my body is during my stand up but I find myself kinda jus leaning back and lettin the bike come up to me....i usually jus kinda lean out there and feel the bike and get on the brake if it goes to far back!!!

check out some pictures and try and mimick that
Old 07-30-2007, 03:19 PM

Where did you find this STICKY info?
Old 07-30-2007, 05:15 PM

the stickey is a thread up top in this section ok jus go to howtow stunt and look at the top it will be liike "how to wheelie" or some **** like that
Old 08-06-2007, 10:27 AM

the stickey is a thread up top in this section ok jus go to howtow stunt and look at the top it will be liike "how to wheelie" or some **** like that
Do you have any clue what could give me the confidence to stand up and try a wheelie? Every time I try, my knees give way and I end up sitting back down. I feel like I have tried everything! I even tried the staggerd stance! Nothing feels safe and it does come up in second, but only get it 2 or 3 inches up before I am sitting down again, and the bike goes back down! Do I just need to grab myself by the ***** and do it? Am I a puss?
Old 08-06-2007, 11:05 AM

hahaha man it comes in time.....go out to a parking lot and stay in 1st gear......do not leave that parking lot til you tried to clutch a stand up 200x's then take a brake go eat or something and think about it....come back and see how they feel.....took me a half day of clutchin it up to get past the feeling, then the day after they felt natural...I havent done a sitdown since!!! dont be to hard on yourself it will feel funky til ya rock a good one then youll love it...so much more control and stability imo!!!
Old 08-06-2007, 11:19 AM

Reyals Bemus is an unknown quantity at this point

Took me nearly a year just to get to balance point. I'm glad for it though, else I probably would've gotten hurt more and a lot worse.

Do sitting wheelies! I love sitting wheelies. Something about feels right or something. Standing's kinda weird, except when like a foot on the seat or stuff.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:28 AM

all in time some learn faster then others....jus be safe...
Old 08-06-2007, 12:46 PM

all in time some learn faster then others....jus be safe...
Good lookin out man! I have the bounce down, just scared! I will keep you informed, and I will be safe! Thanks again!
Old 08-06-2007, 12:48 PM

Good lookin out man! I have the bounce down, just scared! I will keep you informed, and I will be safe! Thanks again!

no worries man, one day it will jus click and youll be like wtf how was this hard lol and they will feel comfy not scary
Old 08-06-2007, 12:52 PM

Boucing isn't required to get you up, especially with a sportbike. All it does is tire you quicker. Back when I had an xr100 I could clutch it up without bouncing, long as I sat back.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Reyals Bemus
Boucing isn't required to get you up, especially with a sportbike. All it does is tire you quicker. Back when I had an xr100 I could clutch it up without bouncing, long as I sat back.

gonna call bs on this one man, idk bout on the dirt but on a bike even with my mild gearing bouncing and wieght transfer helps a ton on smoothness and ease of getting it up.....i doubt you could get 3rd up on my bike without a lil bounce
Old 08-06-2007, 01:19 PM

Bouncing MAY help if you like, but rybred was saying how "he got the bouncing down" and I was pointing out that bouncing is required to pick up the bike.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Reyals Bemus
Bouncing MAY help if you like, but rybred was saying how "he got the bouncing down" and I was pointing out that bouncing is required to pick up the bike.
"got the bouncing down" is just gangster talk for " I have it figured out" It is helping get it up in second which it was not getting it there at all in second with out this little bounce! Right now, I am just powering it up in second, and it feels pretty good, but have to stand, and bounce, and its scary! With my heavy *** bike, its pretty hard to get it up N 2nd! Let you know after a little practice, and seriously, TY much for all the advice, and I would appriciate it if it keeps comming.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:37 PM

heres some advice that you need to really listen to...quit powering it up damnit!!!

get in 2nd get going about 45mph and clutch that ***** as you bounce and stand the **** up!!!!

no more power wheelies bro the sooner you learn to clutch the easeir everythign else will get!!!
Old 08-06-2007, 03:22 PM

Rybred I hope you also mean that you're clutching it at the same time you give it power..?

Quick Reply: Problems getting it up in 2nd