Street Legal YZ450f Build - Page 3 - Stunt Bike Forum

Street Legal YZ450f Build

Old 01-06-2009, 12:34 AM
  #41  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Scott982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin,Tx
Age: 36
Posts: 2,516
Scott982 is a decent person
Re: Street Legal YZ450f Build

Thanks... It rides really nice on the street with the gearing I have. It does get really hot when you get stuck in traffic though, but that is expected for a motocross bike. I just change the oil every 150 miles or so and check the valves every 500. That's probably excessive for most people but I ride really hard through the twisties and want this motor to last as long as possible. Now I just have to stay out of trouble on it.
Scott982 is offline  
Old 01-06-2009, 01:20 AM
  #42  
haters are your best fans
 
DaHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Fort Campbell,KY
Age: 32
Posts: 849
DaHammer is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Street Legal YZ450f Build

ya, i can only imagine how easy it is to get in trouble with a bike like that. im lookin to get my first tard and i think im gonna get the new honda crf 230m. i got a short commute back and forth from ft campbell to my house but its boring cuz military police are gay so hopefully ridin that will make it a little more pleasurable. plus, ive just had the supermoto itch for a while. now i just need some1 to buy my 600rr
DaHammer is offline  
Old 01-07-2009, 05:36 PM
  #43  
Registered User
 
MR2turbo4evr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Manitoba Canada
Age: 32
Posts: 87
MR2turbo4evr is a decent person
Re: Street Legal YZ450f Build

Originally Posted by Scott982 View Post
Thanks... It rides really nice on the street with the gearing I have. It does get really hot when you get stuck in traffic though, but that is expected for a motocross bike. I just change the oil every 150 miles or so and check the valves every 500. That's probably excessive for most people but I ride really hard through the twisties and want this motor to last as long as possible. Now I just have to stay out of trouble on it.
Why don't you install some cooling fans behind the radiators, wired to a toggle switch? That would help with cooling in slowmoving traffic.

Your bike looks beautiful though. I'm very very jelous.

As far as the motor goes, you probably won't have to worry about it too much. Apparently YZ450F's are bullet proof and rarely ever need their valves shimmed. If you go to www.thumpertalk.com and read up on YZ450's, you'll see that people put a TON of hours on those things before the valves become out of spec. I've been researching the YZ450F a lot because I plan on getting one at some point, and it seems to be the most reliable 450 4stroke bike out there....
MR2turbo4evr is offline  
Old 01-07-2009, 11:43 PM
  #44  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Scott982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin,Tx
Age: 36
Posts: 2,516
Scott982 is a decent person
Re: Street Legal YZ450f Build

Originally Posted by MR2turbo4evr View Post
Why don't you install some cooling fans behind the radiators, wired to a toggle switch? That would help with cooling in slowmoving traffic.

Your bike looks beautiful though. I'm very very jelous.

As far as the motor goes, you probably won't have to worry about it too much. Apparently YZ450F's are bullet proof and rarely ever need their valves shimmed. If you go to www.thumpertalk.com and read up on YZ450's, you'll see that people put a TON of hours on those things before the valves become out of spec. I've been researching the YZ450F a lot because I plan on getting one at some point, and it seems to be the most reliable 450 4stroke bike out there....
I would install some fans but on the 06 an up yz450 you can only get a 50watt stator. The stator barely has enough power for my lights at idle and when we tried a dc system with a battery the stator wouldn't even charge the battery. The stator issue is the biggest downside to riding a newer yz450 on the street.

I did a lot of research on thumpertalk and supermotojunkie before deciding to get a yamaha. I really wanted a honda at first but didn't feel like dealing with the valve issues that they have. So far my valves are still in spec and everything is working great after 1,200 miles.
Scott982 is offline  
Old 01-12-2009, 12:00 AM
  #45  
Registered User
 
SmokechecK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Carlsbad, CA
Age: 36
Posts: 397
SmokechecK is a decent person
Re: Street Legal YZ450f Build

Looks good brother. I am thinking of doing the same to my 05 RMZ 450. I cant ride dirt anymore due to shoulder injury from war..... so I want to go street. I don't think the rules are too bad here in CA, but I guess I will find out.

As for Motostrano, if they r as bad as everyone is saying... I guess I will just have to piece everything together.

Buz
SmokechecK is offline  
Old 01-12-2009, 12:12 AM
  #46  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Scott982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin,Tx
Age: 36
Posts: 2,516
Scott982 is a decent person
Re: Street Legal YZ450f Build

Originally Posted by SmokechecK View Post
Looks good brother. I am thinking of doing the same to my 05 RMZ 450. I cant ride dirt anymore due to shoulder injury from war..... so I want to go street. I don't think the rules are too bad here in CA, but I guess I will find out.

As for Motostrano, if they r as bad as everyone is saying... I guess I will just have to piece everything together.

Buz
I don't think you can plate an your bike in CA but I might be wrong. Most of my stuff I just order from the local cycle gear because they match internet prices and get my parts in 2-3 days. Motostrano took forever and had horrible communication. It really freaked me out after I sent them $3,000 and they wouldn't return my calls.
Scott982 is offline  
Old 01-12-2009, 12:26 AM
  #47  
Registered User
 
SmokechecK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Carlsbad, CA
Age: 36
Posts: 397
SmokechecK is a decent person
Re: Street Legal YZ450f Build

Yeah, that is not cool of them. If I cant plate it here in SD, then I will plate it at my parents in Las Vegas. Then it is on! haha
SmokechecK is offline  
Old 01-12-2009, 02:02 AM
  #48  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Scott982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin,Tx
Age: 36
Posts: 2,516
Scott982 is a decent person
Re: Street Legal YZ450f Build

That's would I would do. Just plate it in vegas.
Scott982 is offline  
Old 01-12-2009, 02:17 AM
  #49  
Registered User
 
Savvgawd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: bmore
Age: 31
Posts: 203
Savvgawd is a decent person
Re: Street Legal YZ450f Build

That is one NAASTY bike, super jealous, def keep the white plastics too
Savvgawd is offline  
Old 01-14-2009, 01:47 AM
  #50  
haters are your best fans
 
DaHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Fort Campbell,KY
Age: 32
Posts: 849
DaHammer is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Street Legal YZ450f Build

^^^^^^ i heart ur avatar
DaHammer is offline  
Old 01-14-2009, 01:55 AM
  #51  
Administrators
 
WHEELIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Arizona bbiittccheezzz
Age: 43
Posts: 55,195
WHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: Street Legal YZ450f Build

That bike is Just ****** sick man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WHEELIE is offline  
Old 01-14-2009, 03:04 AM
  #52  
Registered User
 
SmokechecK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Carlsbad, CA
Age: 36
Posts: 397
SmokechecK is a decent person
Re: Street Legal YZ450f Build

Savvgawd....... I want all of the gurls in your pic. haha
SmokechecK is offline  
Old 02-11-2009, 03:48 AM
  #53  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Scott982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin,Tx
Age: 36
Posts: 2,516
Scott982 is a decent person
Re: Street Legal YZ450f Build

I have a hinson slipper clutch and a brembo 16x18 on the way. I still need to figure out which caliper and rotor to go with. The stock master and caliper work great for riding around town but they suck when riding hard in the twisties. Should have some more pics up soon.

I did add a red bull catch can..lol
Name:  DSC_6344.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  103.1 KB
Scott982 is offline  
Old 02-11-2009, 08:51 PM
  #54  
Registered User
 
Josh Faught's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Georgetown,tx...THE OC
Age: 36
Posts: 4,150
Josh Faught is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Street Legal YZ450f Build

Your so dreamy scoot
Josh Faught is offline  
Old 02-15-2009, 03:20 PM
  #55  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Scott982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin,Tx
Age: 36
Posts: 2,516
Scott982 is a decent person
Re: Street Legal YZ450f Build

Yut Ughhh!!!

Name:  motardwheelie.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  129.7 KB
Scott982 is offline  
Old 02-28-2009, 02:23 PM
  #56  
WERA Nov Champion & Pilot
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: atlanta, ga
Posts: 8
mischievius is a decent person
Re: Street Legal YZ450f Build

Bad *** bike!...

I see the tail light and license mount kit came with the bike when you bought it...
but do you have any idea where it came from? (looks like an acerbis)

Do you not need turn signals in Texas?

Last edited by mischievius; 02-28-2009 at 02:34 PM.
mischievius is offline  
Old 02-28-2009, 04:43 PM
  #57  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Scott982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin,Tx
Age: 36
Posts: 2,516
Scott982 is a decent person
Re: Street Legal YZ450f Build

The tail light and plate bracket are from Baja Designs. You don't need turn signals in Texas. Only a headlight with a high/low beam, tail light, brake light, one mirror, and a horn.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/P-60...c+Led+Dropdown
Scott982 is offline  
Old 02-28-2009, 04:47 PM
  #58  
houstons tard
 
white bandito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: rosharon,texas,usa
Age: 29
Posts: 426
white bandito is a decent person
Re: Street Legal YZ450f Build

dang. everything i have is white my street bike my motard and my 50 and i really like that bike. come to houston i will ride whenever.
white bandito is offline  
Old 02-28-2009, 06:01 PM
  #59  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Scott982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin,Tx
Age: 36
Posts: 2,516
Scott982 is a decent person
Re: Street Legal YZ450f Build

I am going to be in houston at the end of march for 2 weeks. I'll try to bring the bike but it just depends if I have a hotel I can park the bike in.

The bike has a hinson slipper clutch now and handbrake. I need to get some more pics up .
Scott982 is offline  
Old 02-28-2009, 06:50 PM
  #60  
WERA Nov Champion & Pilot
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: atlanta, ga
Posts: 8
mischievius is a decent person
Re: Street Legal YZ450f Build

Originally Posted by Scott982 View Post
The tail light and plate bracket are from Baja Designs. You don't need turn signals in Texas. Only a headlight with a high/low beam, tail light, brake light, one mirror, and a horn.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/P-60...c+Led+Dropdown
tight... thanks man,

Originally Posted by Scott982 View Post
The bike has a hinson slipper clutch now and handbrake. I need to get some more pics up .
hell yea!... what have you done as far as suspension?
mischievius is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Street Legal YZ450f Build


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.