Chicagoland Riders Photo Gallery
This is for non-group affiliated stunters from around the Chicago area to post about local topics. These guys post too much... They get

Uh-Oh....Sycamore Speedway!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 12:22 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

GautamCity is an unknown quantity at this point
Uh-Oh....Sycamore Speedway!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...ocalwest%2Dhed

Kane public safety panel backs increased policing for speedway

By William Presecky
Tribune staff reporter

May 7, 2003

A proposed Kane County ordinance, recommended for approval Tuesday by the Public Safety Committee, would create a "motor vehicle race and motor vehicle stunt event permit" and subject racing operations at Sycamore Speedway on Illinois Highway 64 east of Virgil to increased policing.

Assistant State's Atty. Robert Sandner said the proposed ordinance, authorized by state statute, would allow greater oversight of crowd-related activities in and around the speedway.

"It will give us a certain degree of control over what happens on that type of property," said Sandner, who said police calls to Sycamore Speedway have risen sharply in recent years.

He said authorities have responded to reports of excessive drinking, rowdiness, fighting and "the partying that goes on outside, on the edge of the property."

Attorney Robert Morrow of Elgin, who represents the speedway, said the track owners object to the ordinance because it is unwarranted and hastily considered.

The owners have tried to negotiate with county officials over a voluntary policing plan, beginning with a tough policy statement they have been providing visitors with since weekend racing resumed last month, Morrow said.

The 28-acre speedway operates on 37 dates between April and October, Morrow said.

Track patrons are being notified that the speedway prohibits alcohol from being consumed in the track's pit area or parking lots, and that all vehicles entering the property will be inspected for alcoholic beverages. Also, alcohol consumption is restricted to beer and wine bought at the speedway's bar and must stay in fenced sections of the grandstand and concession area.

The policy also imposes a midnight curfew and encourages patrons who consume alcohol to consider using designated drivers.

"We've sent a letter to the County Board indicating our voluntary efforts to limit some activity out there," said Morrow, who asked that those efforts be given a chance.

The speedway was founded in 1962 by Joseph Fabrizius of Maple Park and is operated by his descendents.

Fabrizius died two years ago of injuries from a racing accident.

According to Morrow, Sycamore Speedway is the only facility of its type in unincorporated Kane.

Copyright © 2003, Chicago Tribune
Old 05-07-2003, 07:02 PM

900 Fury is an unknown quantity at this point
I bet I can tell you exactly what is going on here. Recently, in the last decade, or so, that whole area west of 47 has been viewed as increasingly lucrative in the eyes of developers, especially the route 64/Sycamore corridor. Take it from me, I used to live in DeKalb, and I saw UNBELIEVABLE rates of growth. Along with growth comes yuppie suburban transplants, and the last thing they wanna live next to is a buncha hillbillies racin and drunken stuntlifers cheering them on. That's just my theory, but I can guess they will try harder to shut them down in the future. Too bad Progress has to rear it's ugly head in such a manner, and especially against an institution we, as stuntlifers love...OH well, that's just my .02