Noobie starter bike?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 02:06 AM

blackdog is an unknown quantity at this point
Noobie starter bike?

hey guys, tried a search for a "starter bike" and had no luck. Looking at pics it seems most of you are using mountain bikes. Thinking about going to wall mart and picking something up. Any recommendations on a starter bike. Thanks in advance.

by the way, it's quite impressive the tricks you guys are doing on bikes! looking forward to learning.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:47 PM

Venom600 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Noobie starter bike?

Well im one of the few on here riding bmx. I rode a mountain bike before but im happy with my bmx now. A bmx is probably not a good starter bike though so I'll let the pros give you more advice.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:27 PM
Don't read this.

GundamnitPete will become famous soon enough

my first two bikes were walmart bikes, now i got a bit of an upgrade (diamond back response)

most of what you'll find at wal-mart won't be to good, but a few things to look for:

1. metal brake levers, those plastic ones are GARBAGE

2. decent set of rims, odds are, the rims are gonna be the first thing to go.

3. linear pull brakes, aside from disc, they are th ebest you can get.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:38 PM

78KingCobra is an unknown quantity at this point

if i were you, i would save up for a few more weeks and get a bike from a bike shop. you can get a bike twice as good as a wal mart bike, for not that much more, and it DOES make a difference. if anything, in reliability.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:55 PM
Don't read this.

i'll agree in the reliabilty part, most bikes will feel alot alike, but a actual bike shop bike is more reliable and more solid.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:18 PM

12 !T is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't buy a Wal-mart bike. And what kind of stunts do you wan't to do? I Ride Bmx and Mtn. bikes lately more Bmx I like to jump. Go with a good Mtn. bike with Dual wall rims they don't bend there worth it I bent 3 normal rims already. I never bent a bmx rim yet. ya get like a gary fisher bike or a trek or somthing like that you'll be glad you did.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:31 PM

thanks for the advice guys. I think i'll hold out for a better bike like you all recomended. My only other question, what size bike should I be lookig for. I am 6' 4" and was wondering if I should find the biggest bike possible? Also, is there a disadvantage to having shocks. I would think so, but thought you guys would know better. Thanks for your help. Can't wait to get out and learn some tricks.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:58 PM

Alright, one more question I forgot to list. Are womens frames better for stunting? Seems like it would make it easier for some tricks and also be more forgiving to the lower region while learning!

thanks again
Old 12-10-2006, 11:36 PM
Don't read this.

Originally Posted by blackdog
thanks for the advice guys. I think i'll hold out for a better bike like you all recomended. My only other question, what size bike should I be lookig for. I am 6' 4" and was wondering if I should find the biggest bike possible? Also, is there a disadvantage to having shocks. I would think so, but thought you guys would know better. Thanks for your help. Can't wait to get out and learn some tricks.

i've had both suspension and hard tail, balance point is almost identical (suspensions is a lil bigger cause the suspension likes to come forward a bit when you hit BP, easy to feel)

the biggest difference, is it's alot easier to get the front up in a seat stander on a suspension bike.

here's a lil video of me on my suspension bike, i ride a hardtail now, and can still do everything:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PCSWyCU-cEk
Old 12-11-2006, 10:13 PM

12 !T is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by blackdog
I'm 6'3, I don't think bike size matters I like my Gary fisher opie model it is a free ride Mtn. bike it is bigger though. I also like by 20in frame bmx bike tight frame, its what you like. And no don't ride a womans bike. I don't like back suspension I like front suspension only, but maybe you would like back suspension. Its all what you like. Good Luck.