Ohio!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 03:34 PM

Newman is an unknown quantity at this point
Ohio!

If anybody remembers the "Yatta" movie from a couple years back, yeah, the title refers to that. I'm actually from Michigan. :-)

I ride a 1971 Honda CB450 and am saving up my pennies for an 80's crotch rocket (Kawasaki Ninja was my dream bike when I was a kid) to ride and possibly stunt with in the near future.

Old 11-24-2003, 03:45 PM
Creater/Founder

shugga will become famous soon enough
lol lol gangsta pic!

Welcome!
Old 11-24-2003, 03:48 PM
Super-Thread-editor

Erik will become famous soon enough
I was expecting a Jerry SeinField "Newman"

Helllllllllooooooooooo Newman. Welcome to Stuntlife
Old 11-24-2003, 04:16 PM

Arr!

EDIT: Uh, whoops, I meant to post this under my thread "Ohio". I'm such a newbie!

Thanks for the good word!

I got my nickname from people saying "Neal Man" really fast.

Come on, you want to try it. Trust me.

"Newman!"

EDIT: Please don't hurt the newbie for messing up this early on.

Last edited by Newman; 11-24-2003 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:22 PM

gixxer750rider will become famous soon enough
Welcome to StuntLife!! .

ok i gotta ask why a 80's motorcycle and why kawasaki??
do you not like the look of the 90's style or newer?
Old 11-24-2003, 09:08 PM

Dum Dee Dum

Gixxer-

Well, I have a 70s motorcycle right now, so it's a natural progression to the 80's.

Kawasaki, well, I like the name. Ninja, well, I like that name too. Plus, those 80s Ninjas in Kawasaki green are just about my favorite looking motor vehicle out there, even better looking than my 1971 Honda CB450 (which is pretty darn tough ta' doo!).

I guess I don't really like the look of the new motorcycles. I'm a really, really interesting 17 year old in my humble opinion. I listen to AC/DC, Credence Clearwater Revival, Frank Sinatra, and 80's rock music. I wear cowboy boots almost every day. I sing in a couple choirs and have acted in a few plays. See what I mean?

I'm not one to get into the whole "modern" thing.

I was born twenty years late. :-(

Everyone-

I'm making motorcycling in general basically my newest hobby. I've had way too many hobbies so far and I go *****-out when something new comes up. I think I'll be doing motorcycling for the rest of my life, though, because it blows away anything else I've done before.

I have a couple questions:
1. What kind of price range would we be talking about if I wanted to pick up a late 1980s Kawasaki Ninja in near-perfect condition?
2. What is a reasonable amount for a per-hour fee at a motorcycle shop? I asked one place and they said $75/hour! Youch!
3. Could you guys direct me to some websites where, basically, there is a crapload of information on motorcyles and where I can read and learn about how they work? I've been reading some books but they are either extremely basic (this is the wheel, this is the throttle, this is the other wheel) or too downright specific (the compression ratio of the 1967 Honda CB77 was tuned down to 8.5:1). Any help? Thanks.
4. Finally, I purchased my 1971 Honda CB450 for $850 and it is in near-perfect condition. The only things that needs to be replaced on the entire bike is the tach cable and spark plugs (they had the wrong ones in!). The headlight bucket has a crack (but the light works), the carbs need to be cleaned, and the throttle cable needs to be adjusted. And it's 32 years old! Now, with that little needing work, I thought it was a great deal. But...is it too unsafe to ride on the roads with the huge increase in traffic (since the 1970s) with all that old technology? I mean, it's 450cc and it's 430 pounds...that's not exactly a good power/weight ratio. What do you guys think?

~N to the Ewman
Old 11-24-2003, 09:22 PM
Super-Thread-editor

Me My Posse and you

Don't do it again
Old 11-24-2003, 09:26 PM
Super-Thread-editor

Re: Dum Dee Dum

Originally posted by Newman
Gixxer-

Well, I have a 70s motorcycle right now, so it's a natural progression to the 80's.

Kawasaki, well, I like the name. Ninja, well, I like that name too. Plus, those 80s Ninjas in Kawasaki green are just about my favorite looking motor vehicle out there, even better looking than my 1971 Honda CB450 (which is pretty darn tough ta' doo!).

I guess I don't really like the look of the new motorcycles. I'm a really, really interesting 17 year old in my humble opinion. I listen to AC/DC, Credence Clearwater Revival, Frank Sinatra, and 80's rock music. I wear cowboy boots almost every day. I sing in a couple choirs and have acted in a few plays. See what I mean?

I'm not one to get into the whole "modern" thing.

I was born twenty years late. :-(

Everyone-

I'm making motorcycling in general basically my newest hobby. I've had way too many hobbies so far and I go *****-out when something new comes up. I think I'll be doing motorcycling for the rest of my life, though, because it blows away anything else I've done before.

I have a couple questions:
1. What kind of price range would we be talking about if I wanted to pick up a late 1980s Kawasaki Ninja in near-perfect condition?
2. What is a reasonable amount for a per-hour fee at a motorcycle shop? I asked one place and they said $75/hour! Youch!
3. Could you guys direct me to some websites where, basically, there is a crapload of information on motorcyles and where I can read and learn about how they work? I've been reading some books but they are either extremely basic (this is the wheel, this is the throttle, this is the other wheel) or too downright specific (the compression ratio of the 1967 Honda CB77 was tuned down to 8.5:1). Any help? Thanks.
4. Finally, I purchased my 1971 Honda CB450 for $850 and it is in near-perfect condition. The only things that needs to be replaced on the entire bike is the tach cable and spark plugs (they had the wrong ones in!). The headlight bucket has a crack (but the light works), the carbs need to be cleaned, and the throttle cable needs to be adjusted. And it's 32 years old! Now, with that little needing work, I thought it was a great deal. But...is it too unsafe to ride on the roads with the huge increase in traffic (since the 1970s) with all that old technology? I mean, it's 450cc and it's 430 pounds...that's not exactly a good power/weight ratio. What do you guys think?

~N to the Ewman
1.No idea
2. That's pretty high....usually avg of $50
3.Not sure, google maybe?
4. I started out on a 1980 Yamaha XS-1100...lil more power, but 200lbs heavier
Old 11-25-2003, 02:20 AM

covertwar is a decent person
do it yourself and ask questions on the boards. those old bikes are pretty generic though. try going to the library and getting motorcycle shop manuals then start from there
Old 11-25-2003, 02:35 AM
Stunlife's #1 Gimp!

Shaggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Arr!

EDIT: Uh, whoops, I meant to post this under my thread "Ohio". I'm such a newbie!
Fixed it for ya
Old 11-25-2003, 01:55 PM

Ergle

try going to the library and getting motorcycle shop manuals then start from there
I did state that I had already read some books and was asking for websites. Sorry dude. I have a CB450 manual from Clymer's, too, but there's nothing in it that explains what each part does or why it's there.

Any other help with those questions?
Old 11-25-2003, 02:18 PM
Stunlife's #1 Gimp!

Shaggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Actually, I knew nothing about bikes when I bought mine. You will be surprised as to how much you can learn and fix on your own trying to avoid high motorcycle mechanics fees. Usually, I'll just start tinkering and somehow fix it
Old 11-30-2003, 12:48 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Kev900RR is an unknown quantity at this point
Old 11-30-2003, 02:09 AM

SuperStar27 is an unknown quantity at this point
i'm sorry

i really don't remmeber that movie only thing i remmeber is the starboyz'z
Old 11-30-2003, 05:51 PM
Super-Thread-editor

Hey, I just stripped my bike down and put it all back together this past week, first time always takes forever. I can get my gas tank, air box, carbs' off in less than 5 min now and reassembly takes right at 5.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:19 AM
HoOk

J-Hook is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah.......... all my knowledge is from takin it apart and puttin it back together...........
Old 12-06-2003, 05:27 AM
Regular StuntLifer

lsr740seditz is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by CheeseHook
yeah.......... all my knowledge is from takin it apart and puttin it back together...........
me too
Old 12-06-2003, 11:37 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

GRSiK26 is just really niceGRSiK26 is just really niceGRSiK26 is just really niceGRSiK26 is just really nice
Re: Ohio!

I ride a 1971 Honda CB450 and am saving up my pennies for an 80's crotch rocket
PLEASE DONT USE THAT WORD EVER AGAIN

AND

WELCOME
Old 12-06-2003, 02:06 PM

Ehem

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...=crotch+rocket

*shrugs*

Crotch Rocket