Stunt Bike Forum

Stunt Bike Forum (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/)
-   Newbie Welcome Center (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/216-newbie-welcome-center)
-   -   Ohio! (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/216-newbie-welcome-center/45327-ohio.html)

Newman 11-24-2003 03:34 PM

Ohio!

If anybody remembers the "Yatta" movie from a couple years back, yeah, the title refers to that. I'm actually from Michigan. :-)

I ride a 1971 Honda CB450 and am saving up my pennies for an 80's crotch rocket (Kawasaki Ninja was my dream bike when I was a kid) to ride and possibly stunt with in the near future.

:hello
[IMG]http://mywebpages.comcast.net/newmanm4/firstday1a.jpg[/IMG]

shugga 11-24-2003 03:45 PM

lol lol gangsta pic!

Welcome!:twofinger

Erik 11-24-2003 03:48 PM

I was expecting a Jerry SeinField "Newman":laughing

Helllllllllooooooooooo Newman. Welcome to Stuntlife:cheers

Newman 11-24-2003 04:16 PM

Arr!

EDIT: Uh, whoops, I meant to post this under my thread "Ohio". I'm such a newbie!:nono

Thanks for the good word! :Dsmile

I got my nickname from people saying "Neal Man" really fast.

Come on, you want to try it. Trust me.

"Newman!":laughing

EDIT: Please don't hurt the newbie for messing up this early on. :bowdown:

gixxer750rider 11-24-2003 07:22 PM

Welcome to StuntLife!!:cheers :hello .

ok i gotta ask why a 80's motorcycle and why kawasaki??
do you not like the look of the 90's style or newer?

Newman 11-24-2003 09:08 PM

Dum Dee Dum

Gixxer-

Well, I have a 70s motorcycle right now, so it's a natural progression to the 80's. :laughing

Kawasaki, well, I like the name. Ninja, well, I like that name too. Plus, those 80s Ninjas in Kawasaki green are just about my favorite looking motor vehicle out there, even better looking than my 1971 Honda CB450 (which is pretty darn tough ta' doo!).

I guess I don't really like the look of the new motorcycles. I'm a really, really interesting 17 year old in my humble opinion. I listen to AC/DC, Credence Clearwater Revival, Frank Sinatra, and 80's rock music. I wear cowboy boots almost every day. I sing in a couple choirs and have acted in a few plays. See what I mean?

I'm not one to get into the whole "modern" thing.:laughing

I was born twenty years late. :-(

Everyone-

I'm making motorcycling in general basically my newest hobby. I've had way too many hobbies so far and I go balls-out when something new comes up. I think I'll be doing motorcycling for the rest of my life, though, because it blows away anything else I've done before.

I have a couple questions:
1. What kind of price range would we be talking about if I wanted to pick up a late 1980s Kawasaki Ninja in near-perfect condition?
2. What is a reasonable amount for a per-hour fee at a motorcycle shop? I asked one place and they said $75/hour! Youch!
3. Could you guys direct me to some websites where, basically, there is a crapload of information on motorcyles and where I can read and learn about how they work? I've been reading some books but they are either extremely basic (this is the wheel, this is the throttle, this is the other wheel) or too downright specific (the compression ratio of the 1967 Honda CB77 was tuned down to 8.5:1). Any help? Thanks.
4. Finally, I purchased my 1971 Honda CB450 for $850 and it is in near-perfect condition. The only things that needs to be replaced on the entire bike is the tach cable and spark plugs (they had the wrong ones in!). The headlight bucket has a crack (but the light works), the carbs need to be cleaned, and the throttle cable needs to be adjusted. And it's 32 years old! :) Now, with that little needing work, I thought it was a great deal. But...is it too unsafe to ride on the roads with the huge increase in traffic (since the 1970s) with all that old technology? I mean, it's 450cc and it's 430 pounds...that's not exactly a good power/weight ratio. What do you guys think?

~N to the Ewman

Erik 11-24-2003 09:22 PM

Me:killem My Posse:shootem and you:NONONO

:laughing Don't do it again:nono

Erik 11-24-2003 09:26 PM

Re: Dum Dee Dum

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Newman [/i]
[B]Gixxer-

Well, I have a 70s motorcycle right now, so it's a natural progression to the 80's. :laughing

Kawasaki, well, I like the name. Ninja, well, I like that name too. Plus, those 80s Ninjas in Kawasaki green are just about my favorite looking motor vehicle out there, even better looking than my 1971 Honda CB450 (which is pretty darn tough ta' doo!).

I guess I don't really like the look of the new motorcycles. I'm a really, really interesting 17 year old in my humble opinion. I listen to AC/DC, Credence Clearwater Revival, Frank Sinatra, and 80's rock music. I wear cowboy boots almost every day. I sing in a couple choirs and have acted in a few plays. See what I mean?

I'm not one to get into the whole "modern" thing.:laughing

I was born twenty years late. :-(

Everyone-

I'm making motorcycling in general basically my newest hobby. I've had way too many hobbies so far and I go balls-out when something new comes up. I think I'll be doing motorcycling for the rest of my life, though, because it blows away anything else I've done before.

I have a couple questions:
1. What kind of price range would we be talking about if I wanted to pick up a late 1980s Kawasaki Ninja in near-perfect condition?
2. What is a reasonable amount for a per-hour fee at a motorcycle shop? I asked one place and they said $75/hour! Youch!
3. Could you guys direct me to some websites where, basically, there is a crapload of information on motorcyles and where I can read and learn about how they work? I've been reading some books but they are either extremely basic (this is the wheel, this is the throttle, this is the other wheel) or too downright specific (the compression ratio of the 1967 Honda CB77 was tuned down to 8.5:1). Any help? Thanks.
4. Finally, I purchased my 1971 Honda CB450 for $850 and it is in near-perfect condition. The only things that needs to be replaced on the entire bike is the tach cable and spark plugs (they had the wrong ones in!). The headlight bucket has a crack (but the light works), the carbs need to be cleaned, and the throttle cable needs to be adjusted. And it's 32 years old! :) Now, with that little needing work, I thought it was a great deal. But...is it too unsafe to ride on the roads with the huge increase in traffic (since the 1970s) with all that old technology? I mean, it's 450cc and it's 430 pounds...that's not exactly a good power/weight ratio. What do you guys think?

~N to the Ewman [/B][/QUOTE]

1.No idea
2. That's pretty high....usually avg of $50
3.Not sure, google maybe?
4. I started out on a 1980 Yamaha XS-1100...lil more power, but 200lbs heavier

covertwar 11-25-2003 02:20 AM

do it yourself and ask questions on the boards. those old bikes are pretty generic though. try going to the library and getting motorcycle shop manuals then start from there

Shaggy 11-25-2003 02:35 AM

Re: Arr!

[B]EDIT: Uh, whoops, I meant to post this under my thread "Ohio". I'm such a newbie!:nono[/B][/QUOTE]

Fixed it for ya:hello

Newman 11-25-2003 01:55 PM

Ergle

[quote]try going to the library and getting motorcycle shop manuals then start from there[/quote]

I did state that I had already read some books and was asking for websites. Sorry dude. I have a CB450 manual from Clymer's, too, but there's nothing in it that explains what each part does or why it's there.

Any other help with those questions?:(

Shaggy 11-25-2003 02:18 PM

Actually, I knew nothing about bikes when I bought mine. You will be surprised as to how much you can learn and fix on your own trying to avoid high motorcycle mechanics fees. Usually, I'll just start tinkering and somehow fix it :hello

Kev900RR 11-30-2003 12:48 AM

:hello :cheers :cheers

SuperStar27 11-30-2003 02:09 AM

i'm sorry

i really don't remmeber that movie only thing i remmeber is the starboyz'z

Erik 11-30-2003 05:51 PM

Hey, I just stripped my bike down and put it all back together this past week, first time always takes forever. I can get my gas tank, air box, carbs' off in less than 5 min now and reassembly takes right at 5.

J-Hook 12-01-2003 01:19 AM

yeah.......... all my knowledge is from takin it apart and puttin it back together........... :Dsmile

lsr740seditz 12-06-2003 05:27 AM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by CheeseHook [/i]
[B]yeah.......... all my knowledge is from takin it apart and puttin it back together........... :Dsmile [/B][/QUOTE]

me too

GRSiK26 12-06-2003 11:37 AM

Re: Ohio!

[B]I ride a 1971 Honda CB450 and am saving up my pennies for an 80's [color=#ff0048]crotch rocket[/color]
[/B][/QUOTE] PLEASE DONT USE THAT WORD EVER AGAIN

AND

:hello :twofinger WELCOME:twofinger :hello

Newman 12-06-2003 02:06 PM

Ehem

[url]http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=crotch+rocket[/url]

*shrugs*:)

[quote]Crotch Rocket

A fast thing with 2 wheels i try to kill myself on[/quote]

Erik 12-06-2003 05:12 PM

Re: Ehem

[B][url]http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=crotch+rocket[/url]

*shrugs*:) [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, the "Urban" dictionary:laughing , sounds more like a dude that can't hold his load:laughing