Greece in a nutshell.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 01:03 PM

Big Dad is an unknown quantity at this point
Greece in a nutshell.

I have been as busy as a one armed paper hanger since my return as all of GMO has been. This post comes as an effort to keep everyone out there that cares informed on the results of our trip/show in Greece. A lot has happened in the last few weeks and there is much more planned in the future. Here is a quick recap which is abreviated and if you want to know more about a specific event you will have to ask.

On our plane trip to Paris the plane had to make an emergency landing in Ireland cus an old lady died of a heart attack. She was sitting next to Paul and he will not comment on the incident. (We all suspect foul play.) It really was a bad scene but I had to mention it by putting a humorous spin on it.

Everyone in Greece works on "Greek time". Which means if they say "We will pick you up at 10" they will be there somewhere between 11 and 1. Which means we got to the shows a few minutes before our first show every day.

Beers in strip clubs run between 5-15 Euros. One Euro equals aprox $.89 You do the math, it takes a weeks pay for me to get a buzz. In order for women to dance you have to buy her a drink. Drinks for strippers cost you 20 Euros. For that price I could have a beer and a fine young Canadian princess touch me in my most intimate of areas, and still have change!

The food is great if you like bread. I have never been so bound up in all my life!! Bread three meals a day!! Kids come home from school and have bread and milk for snacks!! They leave bread for Santa at Christmas!!! We woke up the first morning looking forward to our breakfast thinking eggs, toast, bacon, sausage the works right??? No!!! Three pieces of bread and Tang!! Who in the Fu** drinks Tang anymore??????

Gas isn't cheap in Greece and as a result, you drive two kinds of vehicles. One is a 3 cylinder tin can with wheels or a scooter/motorcycle. Cars have to stop for things like traffic, red lights, police cars with lights flashing, pedestrians. Motorcycles and scooters don't. It is the most unbelieveable sight you could imagine. There are no rules when you are on two wheels. We went over there thinking we were nuts, there is no way we are crazier than a Greek motorcycle rider. They just havn't seen any tricks we did before so it made us still look good. To be honest with you, we didn't dare ride on the street except to the gas station once and the tar was so slick we couldn't keep the bike straight which made us respect them even more!!

Guys wear capri pants. I don't ever want to mention this fact again so don't ask.

One night we went to a European Techno type bar. The bartender has never sold so much booze to anyone in her life. I guess you go to dance, not drink. She looked at us like we had three heads when we bought a round of shots and beers to chase! Imagine this, there are 500 sweaty young people bobbing there heads (Coffey can demonstrate) to heavy beats of the techno world. There is no way to get away from them!! They dance at the bar getting drinks, in the line to the bathroom, on the tables, on the chairs, anywhere there is a square foot they dance!! I almost got in three fights on the way to the bathroom cus a 350lb guy doesn't slip through a mob scene undetected. Lets just say you didnt miss much in the club scene.

We went on a trip to one of three islands one day. As we got off the boat a guy ran over to us and asked us if we wanted to rent scooters. HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA 6 Euros for 2 hours. Levi and I almost highsided twice, Ryan managed to twelve his off the kickstand, Dagan almost got snagged by the Po-Po for off roading his on the rocks!!! We had a blast for two hours and didnt even pay for damages. It did make me like my Gixxer 1k even more.

The fans. What can I say about the fans? They were the best crowd we have ever seen. They cheered for us like parents at t-ball game. They knew all our names by the end of the day, tried there best to speak our language, made us sign autographs untill our hands cramped and treated us like rock stars. They gobbled up our merchandise like vultures and were as nice as could be.

Overall we had a blast and we would do it all over again. As a matter of fact we might have to. They loved us so much they want 2 shows a year, one in the sping and fall. Looks like we will be spending most of our time in the air eating rabbit food and rock hard dinner rolls.
I know I missed a ton of stuff but it can't all be explained, it has to be lived. It was one hell of trip and we can explain it better with the video we shot. Look for our DVD coming soon.

BD
Old 10-10-2002, 01:22 PM
CVBOYZ.COM

PhearCVBz is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice BD...

Glad you guys had an awesome time.

Can't wait to see the pics and hear more about it.

Welcome back guys.

-Josh
Old 10-10-2002, 03:07 PM
BACK UP IN THAT ASS

GMO750 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Greek Drivers...

When John mentions Greek motorcycle riders being completely insane on the street - it's a HUGE understatement - I had the pleasure (?) of riding on the back of some dude's new Busa into the heart of Athens during rush hour (don't know if there is anything other than rush hour in Athens) to retrieve a clutch lever for my bike from a local dealer - bikes don't run mirrors in that town for a reason: lanesplitting clearance - if I so much as poked my pinky-toe off the side of the passenger peg we'da been toast 1000 times over - the Greeks invented lane splitting.... cutting to the right of unloading busses between people, on sidewalks, passing scooters inbetween tandem city busses rolling though corners at 70mph on coblestone goat-paths, etc etc... - there are no words to explain my ride on the back of that bike exept that I had more near death experiences in 20 minutes than Ive had over my entire lifetime!

When we got done renting scooters on one of the islands we visited the rental guy was suprised we made it back in one piece - he told us that something like 50 people die each year on the island riding scooters - the population of the entire island was only like 3000!

And I thought Florida I-4 was supposed to be dangerous!
Old 10-10-2002, 03:51 PM
CVBOYZ.COM

Re: Greek Drivers...

Originally posted by GMO750
When John mentions Greek motorcycle riders being completely insane on the street - it's a HUGE understatement - I had the pleasure (?) of riding on the back of some dude's new Busa into the heart of Athens during rush hour (don't know if there is anything other than rush hour in Athens) to retrieve a clutch lever for my bike from a local dealer - bikes don't run mirrors in that town for a reason: lanesplitting clearance - if I so much as poked my pinky-toe off the side of the passenger peg we'da been toast 1000 times over - the Greeks invented lane splitting.... cutting to the right of unloading busses between people, on sidewalks, passing scooters inbetween tandem city busses rolling though corners at 70mph on coblestone goat-paths, etc etc... - there are no words to explain my ride on the back of that bike exept that I had more near death experiences in 20 minutes than Ive had over my entire lifetime!

When we got done renting scooters on one of the islands we visited the rental guy was suprised we made it back in one piece - he told us that something like 50 people die each year on the island riding scooters - the population of the entire island was only like 3000!

And I thought Florida I-4 was supposed to be dangerous!
LOL...Sounds almost like a trip to the supermarket with my Girlfriend.
Old 10-10-2002, 04:27 PM
*****SL.COM OG*****

TILLER is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Greek Drivers...

I had the pleasure of riding on the back of some dude's new Busa into the heart of Athens during rush hour
--note to self watch yo *** around Dagan--
Old 10-10-2002, 05:44 PM
BACK UP IN THAT ASS

GMO750 is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry !

I'm gonna kick you in the panties Dan!

I was stuck! I needed the lever - he wouldn't deliver it - he made me go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-11-2002, 08:33 AM
*****SL.COM OG*****

Re: !

I'm gonna kick you in the panties Dan!

I was stuck! I needed the lever - he wouldn't deliver it - he made me go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lol ... before or after Yates gives ya "ride" on his bike....
Old 10-11-2002, 09:41 AM
Has-Been... Was I ever?

Brian_C6 is an unknown quantity at this point
I couldn't help but laugh out loud a few times reading your review. That is classic. It's amazing how much different other country's (and Vermont) live. LOL jk.

Actually, It sounds like you guys had a great time. I am jeleous. I wish I was riding for GMO this past month... aaaahh did I just say that? I hope no one else from DTE checks this board. hehehe jk

It's really cool you guys had a fun & safe trip. Look forward to chilling soon.

Lata,
Bri
Old 10-11-2002, 09:47 AM
CVBOYZ.COM

Talking

I couldn't help but laugh out loud a few times reading your review. That is classic.
LOL....I know it.....I don't think I've ever read a post that John has written that didn't make me laugh.

-Josh
Old 10-11-2002, 01:26 PM

DSOG Thomas will become famous soon enough
make a dvd of just the athens trip!!!

I cant wait to see it

Thomas
Old 10-11-2002, 01:49 PM

NYMotoMafia is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds like greece was a kick *** time. Post some pics.....please!! Glad to hear everyone made it back in one peice and nobody had to stay behind cuz they were locked up. Your right, Euros are completely crazy on bikes and even the scooters. Keep everyone informed about the DVD.....looking forward to it. If you guys are doing anything in the area, for whatever time is left of riding this year. post it up. Good to have GMO back.

P/O, Ken.

N Y M M
Old 10-12-2002, 09:10 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

ZANNMANN can only hope to improve
i was in greece 2 years back and ohhh yeaa i mean im 100% greek so its all good for me over there but i didnt dare edriving a bike over there. i saw things like 2 people wheelies on mopeds with clutches and like a frickin 1 mile wheelie on the most bet scooter ive ever seen. i mean the guy was rockin this thing so back up and down but damn its a whole different riding seen over there.well just putting in my 2 cents and keep me posted i will seriously take a trip over there to watch you guys
LATA,
ZANNMANN
Old 10-16-2002, 10:15 AM
*****SL.COM OG*****

Alright big dad ... you werent in Pburgh drinking it up this weekend so wheres the pics ..... dont make me send andy over to get yo *** in gear!!!
Old 10-26-2002, 05:52 PM

T.Bentley is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds like you guys threw down some serious **** ...