new brake setup help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 11:06 PM

Jeryd is an unknown quantity at this point
new brake setup help!!

for my 400ex. what I want to do is use my front brake lever for my rear brake instead of adding a whole new lever and set up so here is my plan and i want to know if it will work?
where the line from the brake lever comes down and splits for the 2 front wheels I want to take off the right side line (pic1) and put a longer brake line from that to my rear brake line - by passing the lever and resevoir set up. I want to connect it to where I drew the arrow in pic 2) so the will make my right front wheel not have a brake and my left front wheel and my rear brake work right? I think this will work but dont know let me know!?!?!? I hope I could explain good enough!
thanks

also let me know if you have handlebars , a rear tire ,a front wheel, or brake pads for a 400ex!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1176.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	94859   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1180.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	94860  
Old 08-24-2004, 11:12 PM

IMR-Merlin is a decent person
Re: new brake setup help!!

Thats a good idea, but the shop that I run my bike out of had a hand brake setup given to us last week and they had a problem installing it on a 900rr. Are you planning on deleting the rear master and resivior? Then you'd be in luck but, you'd loose the foot brake for no handers and such. THere was a cross flow (for lack of better wording) problem between 2 masters and they couldn't get it to work. I personally didn't get to see the install and have to trust their work.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:12 PM

Bill McMahon is a decent person

This would work, but don't you think it will make you a little unstable when you are on all 4? You can put a hand brake on a 400 ex easy as pie. Use a fullthrottleinc master cylinder adaptor (www.fullthrottleinc.net) and use any front brake master cylinder for your hand brake.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:18 PM

Jeryd is an unknown quantity at this point

ok so i am a little confused if i use that kit will i have to get a lever with the resevoir correct? but then how could i keep my foot brake and run that new brake setup would i have to get a new caliper for the rear or can i run 2 lines off the rear caliper?
Old 08-24-2004, 11:23 PM

NickIF is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by johnyjohn
ok so i am a little confused if i use that kit will i have to get a lever with the resevoir correct? but then how could i keep my foot brake and run that new brake setup would i have to get a new caliper for the rear or can i run 2 lines off the rear caliper?

I have the fullthrottle setup on my bike (havent got a chance to ride with it yet though) that line replaces where your rear resevoir is. You remount the resevoir on the brake lever (yes you need a brake lever and mastercylinder) your foot brake still works, it uses the fluid in the line as it's resevoir.