broken Clutch basket?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 04:09 AM

Dealia is a decent person
Question broken Clutch basket?

Hello guys!
I'm new to the stunting scene, but after torturing my 05 cbr 1000rr for a couple of weeks I finally managed to balance point the sitdowns.
But at my last practice as I dropped the clutch the bike made a loud cracking noise. Sounded like cogs hitting each other.
The bike came up fine and stayed up but it sounded funny and was shaky as hell. The whole bike was vibrating and it felt like it came from the drivetrain.
My sprockets and chain were gnarly so I swapped out tires/oil/filter/chain and sprockets and did a valve adjustment cause of valve noise (which has been there since I bought the bike).
I finished the bike up yesterday and went for a ride.
The bike was more stable on normal hard acceleration, but as soon as I did a clutch-up the wheel/drivetrain started to vibrate like it had severe parkinsons.
There is no loss in power and the valve noise is gone, but I hear a slight buzz from the back of the engine when I rev it high enough in neutral.
Could my basket be missing teeth?
Has anyone had similar issues and how did you ressolve them?
Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 10-05-2020, 05:55 AM

R6Ruckus is a decent person
Re: broken Clutch basket?

if you can do a valve adjustment, opening up the clutch basket should be extremely easy. just draw a diagram on cardboard of where the bolts go; cuz they typically aren not all the same. and dont mix up the order of the disks (it's possible they are identical, you can rearrange them to put the more worn out ones in a less abused gear: be EXTRA careful) clean them up a bit with mild scotchbright.

does the bike try to roll away when you shift into first while at a stop?

do an oil change, and metal peices?
Old 10-05-2020, 06:10 AM

Didn't find any metal pieces in the oil, but I have only drained the oil. I have not removed the oil pan to have a look inside.
Really haven't had the chance to look at the clutch since I have to ride the bike to work as my fiddy, 954 and my shitbox audi are all out of commission for the time being.
The bike does not roll away when I put it in first. The only symptoms I have is violent shaking under VERY hard acceleration or when I clutch it up. The other thing is some weird whining sound when I roll in first with the clutch pulled in.
Almost feels like there is something out of balance with the engine internals, hence I'm thinking clutch basket.
The reason I'm asking is because I was hoping this was a more common issue and that someone could point me in the right direction so that I could save as much time as I could and work on my other million projects in the mean time.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:17 AM

it's possible the chain is not properly adjusted? it should be about 1.5inches from bottom to top if you wiggle it up and down. most bikes have similar specs, and i got mine straight from the oem repair manual.

while anything is possible; from a mechanics point of view, the clutch basket breaking is unlikely.

is it same in any gear, any rpm? just when you are accelerating hard or on one wheel?

​​​​​​the chain will feel uncomfortably loose when its properly adjusted. the old one might have started skipping cause it was worn out - and the new one is too tight/loose?
Old 10-07-2020, 02:32 AM

could be chain tension, should have about 1.5 inches of slack. that's OEM repair manual for my yamaha, and most super sports are the same.
Old 10-07-2020, 03:48 AM

Yes, I thought it had something to do with the chain/sprockets at first, but there was no difference with new sprockets and chain.
I can feel the engine vibrating when I rev it high enough in neutral. There is also a weird sound coming from what I believe is the clutch which is in sync with the vibrations. I really can't describe the sound other than a bad bearing mixed with a weak rod knock, but the rods are not knocking as I can clearly hear the sound from the back of the engine if I try to listen to it with a wrench.
I am pretty sure the problem has to do with the clutch, but I have no idea if the basket itself is damaged or just a bearing.
Old 10-07-2020, 04:12 AM

dang, it looks like all the simple fixes are ruled out. but if she shifting through gears smoothly, its hard to imagine a broken clutch disk; especially if the oil was clean. and i can't imagine the basket breaking, unless it's been stunted all day every day for its entire life lol.

nothing left but to open up the clutch - but it can certainly end up being time spent with no results.

removing the basket itself is a bit more tricky, and for sure look up torque specs.

sound change at all when you're revving it in neutral with the clutch in and out?

sorry i can't be more help dude, but sometimes just chatting about the issue can lead to an epiphany haha.

also i believe a unhelpful reply is better then no reply. x.x'
Old 10-07-2020, 04:20 AM

Hahah yeah it's true. Helps a lot just to vent about it
No changes to the sound though. It sounds like something relatively big spinning fast and shaking due to lack of balance.
The reason why I think something broke is that when the issue first appeared it happened mid clutch up.
I was practicing slower speed wheelies. Gave it a fistful of gas, dumped the clutch and a loud cracking sound came the second the clutch engaged.
It has been like this ever since.