Left hand rear brake for dirt bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 04:25 AM

ozdirtbiker is a decent person
Left hand rear brake for dirt bike

Hi guys I am new here so please forgive me if this is in the wrong section.

I ride a dirt bike with an auto clutch which has been great except for steep hill climbs where there is the dreaded roll back on failed attempts which has led me down the path of making a LHRB,they don't make them for my model so I made my own.

I know that you are supposed to use certain types of lever/master cylinder set ups but I couldn't at the time afford a brembo set up so I just bought a left hand brake lever and master cylinder from ebay which I think is meant for a pit bike,I then had a custom brake line made up which goes straight to the rear single piston caliper bypassing foot pedal altogether

I had no idea what piston or bore size the ebay lever set up was so just used it anyway,I had good lever feel once installed and bled and when the bike is on a stand it will lock the rear will straight away and lever feel is equal to the front brake until I actually ride the bike and there is not enough braking power,it will still stop me rolling back on a hill if I pull hard enough but for normal braking it's not going to be too great

question is that I obviously need a new lever master assembly set up but how do I tell what one to get,do I just look for any hydraulic clutch and master cylinder setup from either a dirt bike or road bike? I assume from research that I need a small bore assembly but don't know where to look for suitable one

any help would be appreciated,thanks
Old 02-16-2016, 08:53 AM
www.GSENick.com

GSE Nick is a decent person
Re: Left hand rear brake for dirt bike

Why change it if u have now is working good? U need something with a smaller bore size. A dual 6 piston caliper front master will be very hard feeling cause they like to push more fluid then what ur rear caliper needs.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:38 AM

ozdirtbiker is a decent person
Re: Left hand rear brake for dirt bike

I like to ride steep hills so when I can't get up it the bike will roll backwards down the hill due to the auto clutch,with a normal clutch as you know I could just stall it and the bike won't move,it's very hard to have your foot on the brake when falling off so a bar mounted system is far easier to have the brake locked on,I also ride standing up 90% of the time and I find it hard to use my back brake due to injurys.what I don't know is if this master cylinder is not suitable how do I know which one is? it's not like they are advertised as being small bore etc