Carburretor Pros and Cons for Stunting

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 06:27 PM
Been Down and Going Down.

Zaradomerix is a decent person
Carburretor Pros and Cons for Stunting

Hey guys,
Wanted to create a thread to discuss the use of carburretors in stunting. I ride a 2001 zx9r. One of the last kawasaki sport bikes to have a carburretor. Many people say that carbs make wheelies and endos harder to do. This is an interesting topic to me as i have heard they are much worse for stunting as compared to an FI bike all my life. But after having one i have no trouble. Keep a full tank to ensure proper fuel feeding to the carbs. Or add an electric fuel pump and many of your issues with riding a distance wheelie or endo are eliminated. Ernie Vigil himself says that many times he prefers carbs to FI because they are more forgiving on the throttle, that is, less jerky applying throttle on-and-off to balance a wheelie. Thoughts?
Old 06-10-2014, 11:40 AM

MchncllyInsane is a decent person
Re: Carburretor Pros and Cons for Stunting

You pretty much already summed up the pros and cons yourself. The fuel injections nice because if you ride a long *** wheelie, the fuel won't cut out on you. However the carburetor serves a smoother, less aggressive fuel delivery. My preference is FI.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:43 PM
Been Down and Going Down.

Zaradomerix is a decent person

I agree with the above. Was hoping someone knew more or had more experience stunting with carbs and knew some hints or setups to help make a carb better for a stunt riding application.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:30 AM

MchncllyInsane is a decent person

Unfortunately I think a carb is a carb is a carb lol. I don't see anyway to alter a carburetor to feed from alternate points and still keep the same mixture from all angles. Thats kind of why they came out with the FI thing lol. But I may be mistaken. The snappy-ness from a FI isn't really that bad, hell I'm about to turn an R1 into a stunt bike. Kind of have to take the good with the bad I think.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:11 AM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

For a throttle wheelie, I definitely prefer carbs. For idle tricks, fi is noticably stronger on idle and smoother. I think its because carbs need the vacuum to stay somewhat constant for them to be smooth. Theres just not enough vacuum when the motors only spinning 5-600 rpm