Removing Air Box Cover to fit Dented Tank

Old 05-22-2013, 12:45 AM

Clutch n' Chris is a decent person
Removing Air Box Cover to fit Dented Tank

I have a 2002 r6 and I just dented the tank in. I went to put the tank back on the bike after the dent, and the top of the air box cover restricted the tank for going into proper position. I removed the air box cover and the hose that was going into the top of the air box. I then secured the air filter down with some small gauge wire, using the hole that originally house the screws for the air box cover. I was wondering if I will have to adjust my carbs to accommodate this modification?
Old 05-22-2013, 11:06 AM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: Removing Air Box Cover to fit Dented Tank

This could be the ghettoest mod ive ever heard of lol.
So in theory, youve de restricted the intake, so you should have to richen the carbs a little to compensate.
That should work, BUT making the engine flow better may give you a little more top end hp, and it will definitely kill your low end torque, which is what you need for parking lot stunting.

Also, the rubber hose going from the engine into the back of the airbox is probably the crankcase vent. You dont want to leave that floating around. Oil can come out of there when you drop the bike or when you go way back in a wheelie. Look into the "kleen air mod" for your particular bike to fix that.

IMO: turn the tank over and stop it til you have room for the top of the airbox. Your plan here is gonna end up being a lot more trouble than its worth.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:06 PM

Clutch n' Chris is a decent person
Re: Removing Air Box Cover to fit Dented Tank

The dent is already finished and the tank is already bondoed and painted. I am new to all of this and I didnt even think about the airbox getting in the way while i was working on the dent. Any other ideas on how i could mod the airbox so the tank will fit?