Getting to balance point on wheelies

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 04:31 PM
On One Wheel Is Fun!!

1exec1978 is a decent person
Question Getting to balance point on wheelies

OK, so this is probably a dumb question and I will get a lot of ribbing. I am a long time rider, but new at getting into stunting. I have done a lot of racing, so years and years of perfecting launches with the front wheel barely off the ground has got me a little gun shy on getting up to the balance point.

I am hoping someone can walk me through the stages of getting to and hitting the balance point. I get a few feet off of the ground, and automatically lay off of the throttle or use rear brake to bring it back down, because of a mix of the fear of not knowing how to "finish it off" the best way possible, but also because of years of habit of backing off controlling the launches when racing.

I guess to get over being too "anxious" of getting to the balancing point where I know I will be ok without ending up on my backside, I have these questions.

When my front end comes up quick and I am getting up pretty high, do I need to slow down the process of the front end coming up? Or when I hit that balance point am I going to stay on the throttle and is the front end going to stop at the balance point? What is it going to feel like from about the half-way point of getting the bike up the the balance point, to the balance point? What are you doing with your throttle control and brake (if any) once you are close or at the balance point? What do you feel your bike doing once it get close to the balance point?

I hope the questions make sense. I know I am getting close, and it will all "click" and riding long long long wheelies. I just want to get over this "hump" I am at.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:04 PM
On One Wheel Is Fun!!

Re: Getting to balance point on wheelies

Originally Posted by himaslendar
Tryin to guess how close to thebalancepoint i may be getting but dont have any current video..whether is just too shitty
Old 02-14-2012, 01:09 AM
handicrippled

swampy is a decent person

pretty much keep going at it, and if you like it or not your gonna end up on your *** sooner or later. one thing that is repeated constantly is learn your brake control. what your doing sounds right on, the front end should come up quick, and to bring it back down use your brake keep repeating till you start feeling the bike pretty much pulling you along with out useing any gas which you usually need to turn your idle up a bit to do so. from there its just using your brake and gas to keep it steady. im not the best person to be giving out advise considering ive been at it for awhile now and just started steadly getting and holding bp, but from my experiance and from advise giving by other that i ride with. thats the info im passing along, so quit being a ***** and just do it . sooner or later you'll get it.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:00 PM
Budist Heman

monsterzx9 is a decent person

It's about a foot past holy ****!
Old 02-15-2012, 01:37 AM

661gsxr is a decent person

practice practice practice! just go higher and higher and you will eventually get there! when you do get there its going to feel like its too far back! thing is, thats the balance point. personally i dont use my back brake to control the bike. its all throttle. when i do my stagerds my foot is way below the brake lever. i will be putting a hang brake on the bike as soon as i get itt back together!
Old 02-15-2012, 01:39 AM

661gsxr is a decent person

when i pop it up i pretty much go straight to balance point. i dont like to power into the balance point cause i get going way to fast. i go right to it plus it looks cleaner that way
Old 02-15-2012, 09:09 PM
On One Wheel Is Fun!!

Hey thanks for all the suggestions everyone - I don't care if I have to be out 20 hours this weekend. I am ******* getting this!
Old 02-15-2012, 09:10 PM
On One Wheel Is Fun!!

Originally Posted by swampy
thats the info im passing along, so quit being a ***** and just do it . sooner or later you'll get it.
Best reply by far, ha ha ha!
Old 02-28-2012, 05:05 PM

hugomferreira is a decent person

From what I´ve learned and experienced, you will feel your bike weightless, just feeling your foots on the pegs and your hands on the bar, the rest basically is "gone". That´s just me...
Old 02-28-2012, 05:06 PM

hugomferreira is a decent person

Just take your time
Old 02-28-2012, 06:14 PM

Sfighter900 is a decent person

Trust me bro when u get to Balance point u will feel it, its like if yur gonna fall back and yur bike is gliding on nothing, i learned first on sitdown, never try finding balance point on 1st gear too much power.! 2nd is the best and im controlling my balance point with the throttle no back break for me yur brake is the engine, yur gas is really sensative when up there...after i found my balance point on 2nd i couldnt really ride em out cause i felt weird on sit down, i just jumped straight to Rearpegs and its alot more easier and smoother and comfortable to stay on balance point also it easier to escape a fall from standing then sitting down IMO.

I have fallen yet but i have had my close calls, stunt safe man

Here is a video of me Practicing my wheelies standind up it was my 2nd day ever trying them out so guys plz dont diss.. theres a part where u will see i went too high got scared and came straight down

Last edited by Sfighter900; 02-28-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:21 PM

YeRoC_STunTs is a decent person

i would find a parking lot or something thats flat and kinda long some kind of warehouse turn your idle up so its idling around 3k and practice with your left foot on the back peg and your right on the brake and start from 0mph when you pull it up slowly slip the clutch with a lil gas until it comes higher and higher i was always told you know when your at balance point because your it feels like your heart just fell into your stomach..your get that weird feeling like you get when you go over a hump in the road
Old 03-01-2012, 09:52 AM

vandal34 is a decent person

Hey sfighter900 im really trying to remain positive here like ya said, but thats not BP sorry ! When on bp ya have to use the brake or it will flip. BP is all about the brake no throttle at all.
Try popping it up from stand still then leave the throttle alone, if ya start to chase it on the throttle give up and start again, def first gear and turn ya idle up,try staggered first. Its all about the brake
Old 03-01-2012, 02:49 PM

!!stretch!! is a decent person

Originally Posted by Sfighter900
Trust me bro when u get to Balance point u will feel it, its like if yur gonna fall back and yur bike is gliding on nothing, i learned first on sitdown, never try finding balance point on 1st gear too much power.! 2nd is the best and im controlling my balance point with the throttle no back break for me yur brake is the engine, yur gas is really sensative when up there...after i found my balance point on 2nd i couldnt really ride em out cause i felt weird on sit down, i just jumped straight to Rearpegs and its alot more easier and smoother and comfortable to stay on balance point also it easier to escape a fall from standing then sitting down IMO.

Here is a video of me Practicing my wheelies standind up it was my 2nd day ever trying them out so guys plz dont diss.. theres a part where u will see i went too high got scared and came straight down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML1CD...a9AUAAAAAAAJAA
its people like you, who wheelie the middle of your neighborhood that give stunters a bad name* thanks homie*
Old 03-01-2012, 02:50 PM

!!stretch!! is a decent person

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML1CD...a9AUAAAAAAAJAA
also...thats not bp*
Old 03-05-2012, 08:39 PM

binelus is a decent person

BP is when your front wheel stays in the air without throttle help. When your idle is up, you can use the brake so you dont flip back. That's how advanced stunters do wheelies without their hand on the throttle (from what I understand). It's just hard to do. Practice makes best !
Old 03-07-2012, 03:33 PM

Geesh guys no need to get mad, like i said that was barely my 2nd day ever trying those wheelies, and i would prefer to bust *** in front of my house then in the middle of no where , where i cant get help.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:45 PM

SALTY is a decent person

Geesh guys no need to get mad, like i said that was barely my 2nd day ever trying those wheelies, and i would prefer to bust *** in front of my house then in the middle of no where , where i cant get help.

Yo I get yah. First my first couple spots i was just in a neighborhood with some cars. Its easy to come down askew and clip a car though man. But i feel yah in not wanting to bail far away. Just suggesting maybe an industrial area nearby? Or just a road thats wider. Less **** to worry about in case you do bail. Otherwise, good vid! Stunt safe
Old 03-07-2012, 03:47 PM

SALTY is a decent person

oh and try to start off a bit slower! Slower clutch ups Ibuild good form so when you actually do some higher speed clutch ups, you'll have your balance down to the minute.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by SALTY
Yo I get yah. First my first couple spots i was just in a neighborhood with some cars. Its easy to come down askew and clip a car though man. But i feel yah in not wanting to bail far away. Just suggesting maybe an industrial area nearby? Or just a road thats wider. Less **** to worry about in case you do bail. Otherwise, good vid! Stunt safe
Yeah thats was back then lol but now me n a few buddies found some good spots out in the country roads so no worries about traffic and etc, when i made this video i would still **** bricks of getting to close to balance point. im a bit better now honestly i dont hesitate to find BP any more.

im still running on stock gearing which is 16F 43R