I NEED HELP... U.T.I or M.M.I....

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 10:13 PM

Magic_Cow is an unknown quantity at this point
I NEED HELP... U.T.I or M.M.I....

Which school is better? I live in So.California and I don't mind traveling to PHX to attend UTI.... But which school is better for learning how to work on bikes, history working hands on with manufactures getting you into the industry, as teaching you trade secrets.

My Dream is on opening my own shop one! But I to be capable with the proper training and background to do that....

Would loves everyones advice and point of views.. Espically if you went to the schools thanks!!!
Old 08-24-2010, 12:17 AM
yutt uggghhh

mdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud of
Re: I NEED HELP... U.T.I or M.M.I....

yo i went to MMI and had a partial scholarship to go there. honestly i wish i wouldnt have wasted the money. i have been around cars trucks boats motorcycles. . . . etc etc anything with a motor. i knew a lot of stuff before i went so most of it was a refresher course. honestly its just a bunch of drunk and hungover dudes showing up to school just to **** off all day looking forward to the party that they are going to that night. if you know ABSOLUTELY nothing about bike it would be good for you. just wish it didnt cost so much, as far as finding a job. they give you lists of people hiring. i had a hard time cause i live in washington state and there are not many bikes shops where i live so i would have to move to the work. i dunno man most tech schools are all the same way just a bunch of people ******* off. theres a lot more to it but i wont type everything good luck lmk if u have any Q?
Old 08-24-2010, 12:46 AM

$MASSEY$ is an unknown quantity at this point

man f mmi i been going there for 9 months and it sucks class rooms over filled.they drug test cant even have your phone on or u get sent home think of it as middle school bro but if u dont know **** about bikes its not bad ofa place u could learn the same stuff hanging around a shop for free haha
Old 08-24-2010, 07:28 AM

Hazen is a decent person

There are a million threads about this already.

Search em out - you won't find many positive things said about either.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:15 PM

Gulfripper is a decent person

They drug test you?
Old 08-24-2010, 02:10 PM

skillz954 has a reputation beyond reputeskillz954 has a reputation beyond reputeskillz954 has a reputation beyond reputeskillz954 has a reputation beyond reputeskillz954 has a reputation beyond reputeskillz954 has a reputation beyond reputeskillz954 has a reputation beyond reputeskillz954 has a reputation beyond reputeskillz954 has a reputation beyond reputeskillz954 has a reputation beyond reputeskillz954 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hazen

+1 been reading the same negative comments about them for years.....
Old 08-24-2010, 02:16 PM

Tekanomics is a decent person

u need to go to an independent shop and ask if they need a shop hand and tell em you don't need the money, u want to learn and get experience and be able to build a good repor and reference. you are interested in making a career of motorcycles and have always been a great fan of the work done at that shop. you're gonna say the same thing to each shop you go to. if one picks u up then u'll probably just sweep, change fluids and tires n other b.s. which is great cus u've just got ur foot in the door. in this economy a lot of people want a degree AND experience, motorcycles is a hands on thing, *** a little paper that says u know the general concept of some shat, u gotta be able to pick up a wrench and prove it. as you 'volunteer' for a shop, and are also accumulating casual experience towards being a journeyman level and the knowledge. pick your shop based on what you want to learn. jap, american, european and u.k. bikes all have specific things to set them apart.

uti/mmi is gonna be a waste of time n money, i used to know a girl going to uti and she'd ask me things cus her instructor couldnt answer. mountain motorsports down there is a pretty ok place, big shop in back, there are a bunch of hole in the wall establishments down in socal too. yellowpages or google.com
Old 08-24-2010, 02:29 PM

vangun is a decent person

way over filled now its getting worse evry day but i learned a lot from them you just need to apply your self but because the economy their arnt many places looking for techs
Old 08-24-2010, 06:51 PM

BiLLyThaKidd is a decent person

Originally Posted by Tekanomics
u need to go to an independent shop and ask if they need a shop hand and tell em you don't need the money, u want to learn and get experience and be able to build a good repor and reference. you are interested in making a career of motorcycles and have always been a great fan of the work done at that shop. you're gonna say the same thing to each shop you go to. if one picks u up then u'll probably just sweep, change fluids and tires n other b.s. which is great cus u've just got ur foot in the door. in this economy a lot of people want a degree AND experience, motorcycles is a hands on thing, *** a little paper that says u know the general concept of some shat, u gotta be able to pick up a wrench and prove it. as you 'volunteer' for a shop, and are also accumulating casual experience towards being a journeyman level and the knowledge. pick your shop based on what you want to learn. jap, american, european and u.k. bikes all have specific things to set them apart.

uti/mmi is gonna be a waste of time n money, i used to know a girl going to
uti and she'd ask me things cus her
instructor couldnt answer. mountain
motorsports down there is a pretty ok place,
big shop in back, there are a bunch of hole in
the wall establishments down in socal too.
yellowpages or google.com
+1 That's what I did!!
Well that and I spent a lot of money (learning curve was a bitch)

Now I'm a contractor for triumph and they take me around the country riding demo bikes being a chaser!!!

Never been to school it's a waste of money your not gonna learn **** just get in good with a local bike shop and see if you even like turning wrenches everyday!!
Old 08-24-2010, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Gulfripper
They drug test you?

And make you take out any periceing and or earrings ( liability reasons) I laughed and said you gotta be joking
Old 08-25-2010, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Hazen

Clearly, I didn't find them which is why I posted this thread...

Thanks, but from what i'm getting the classes sucked, but you learned alot...

and

You could learn everything in a shop just by learnign hands on, as a journeyman!

alittle about myself. I know just you basic car maintenance, NOTHING about bikes, But i'm in love with them!! Want to work on them, and I love seeing them customized, and would love even more to see someone riding one of my customized bikes!

So, i'm thinking that i should try and be a shop hand somewhere, and if I like it alot, should I even try and go to UTI(I really want to get the **** out of LA, for alittle bit) and take classes there, then come back continue working as a shop hand till i get enough experience to do my own work from my garage... Then one day from my own shop... thats my goal!!!!
Old 08-25-2010, 10:19 PM

take that money your gonna spend on airfair, room and board, and school and save it for your shop. Just my 2 cents
Old 08-25-2010, 10:19 PM

lincc252 is a decent person

Welcome to visit

http://www.bizboysell.com

Buy these fashionable products

Buy gifts and send

We accept paypal payments

and delivery is free.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:30 AM

t$gsxr750 is a decent person

Bitching about having to take out your pericings and not being able to txt all your "cool buddies" during class time.... its called respect. You chose to go to the school so stop blaming what YOU didnt get out of the program on everyone else. Yeah I agree, there was a bunch of BS and they just taught you the basics..... in core! I graduated UTi 2 years ago with Auto/Diesel/Industrial/Ford Fact and oh yeah a BMW MSAT.

So lets see, I spent 2 years at this school, following there rules because I have respect and now I make 120k a year diagnosing $100,000 vehicles. Oh yeah dont go to UTI, a piece of paper dont mean ****!

So yeah, these schools are alotta BS, but if your serious about being a technician, not a grease monkey mechanic, your gonna have to invest in your career and if you go and take as many classes as you can and dont f*** off then you can become something. All these people talking **** are the ones that failed because #1 they were lazy, #2 they couldnt follow rules #3 they couldnt show up to school #4 they suck at life #5 they were nasty care students #6#7#8#9 ill stop.

SO Magic Cow... Uti is automotive, MMI is moto. Do what you want to do and dont make your decisions based on what some "dudes" said from a forum. And all of you who are gonna talk **** to me, thats fine because in the end I make more money than you, bang hotter bitches than you and my **** is bigger than yours! I WIN!
Old 08-26-2010, 10:09 AM
yutt uggghhh

mdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud of

^^^^^^ wow good thing u said something about respect ....it shows real Well. And 120k???..... ..right lmfao
Old 09-03-2010, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by t$gsxr750
Bitching about having to take out your pericings and not being able to txt all your "cool buddies" during class time.... its called respect. You chose to go to the school so stop blaming what YOU didnt get out of the program on everyone else. Yeah I agree, there was a bunch of BS and they just taught you the basics..... in core! I graduated UTi 2 years ago with Auto/Diesel/Industrial/Ford Fact and oh yeah a BMW MSAT.

So lets see, I spent 2 years at this school, following there rules because I have respect and now I make 120k a year diagnosing $100,000 vehicles. Oh yeah dont go to UTI, a piece of paper dont mean ****!

So yeah, these schools are alotta BS, but if your serious about being a technician, not a grease monkey mechanic, your gonna have to invest in your career and if you go and take as many classes as you can and dont f*** off then you can become something. All these people talking **** are the ones that failed because #1 they were lazy, #2 they couldnt follow rules #3 they couldnt show up to school #4 they suck at life #5 they were nasty care students #6#7#8#9 ill stop.

SO Magic Cow... Uti is automotive, MMI is moto. Do what you want to do and dont make your decisions based on what some "dudes" said from a forum. And all of you who are gonna talk **** to me, thats fine because in the end I make more money than you, bang hotter bitches than you and my **** is bigger than yours! I WIN!
Thanks for teh advice, BUT UTI ISN"T JUST AUTOMOTIVE, it works MOTO IN PHX... so, idk if your full of **** of just not fimilur with the school in PHX... because everyone from cali thinks they only work Moto at the Uti school in Cali.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:21 PM
yutt uggghhh

Hee right uti IS automotive MMI is a branch of uti.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by mdub4life29
Hee right uti IS automotive MMI is a branch of uti.
http://www.uti.edu/Programs/Motorcycle
Old 09-08-2010, 09:16 AM

wreckin_repsol is a decent person

Originally Posted by Tekanomics

uti/mmi is gonna be a waste of time n money, i used to know a girl going to uti and she'd ask me things cus her instructor couldnt answer. mountain motorsports down there is a pretty ok place, big shop in back, there are a bunch of hole in the wall establishments down in socal too. yellowpages or google.com
+1

do that, an take all the ase's you can....without a work history an just a paper that says you went to school its a 1 an 100 chance of finding a job

I did the school thing an it took two years for me to find one, now Im doing something completly diffrent an making 3 times the money. kinda fucked up
Old 01-09-2013, 06:27 PM

wolves420 is a decent person

Ok first things first all the jerks that bash this school are people you dont surround your self with.. mmi is a good school, you can really learn what you want to out of it, if you apply your self. Bump kids out of the way, tell them to shut up and Put your head out like your listening to every ******* word the teach says.
second thing. It cost relatively what it cost to do any kind of 4 year degree.
my mother was a phoenix of 6 years for business degree. she now works at a whataburger district office, making roughly 15 bucks an hour.

alright, so my buddy marco WENT to MMI, he said it was a blast.
he learned Kawasaki and harley motorcycles. Hes a wiz. Built an old Kz1300 kawi from the ground up all from his training at MMI.
He Now works at the local harley shop Making 15 and hour for 2 years of school.
Im following in the same steps. Ive hung out at my uncles shop and turned wrentches for 10 years. V8's all the way to v-twins. But im young and when i say " yeah i can fix it" they look at me (20 year old kid) and go do you have certification. and all i can say is No.

SO NOW IM GOING TO MMI PHOENIX IS HOT BUT MAN ITS FUN BEING HERE AND AFTER IM GOING TO DO WHAT I LOVE ON MY OWN.