tank dent leaks around gas cap.. how to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 02:36 PM

richd3000 is a decent person
tank dent leaks around gas cap.. how to fix?

I have a tank that's dented in that feels awesome, but it leaks gas when in a tall wheelie. I tried ultra black gasket maker but only worked a few days. Has anyone tried JB Weld or any apoxys? I got a threaded cap so I don't mind perminantly attaching it as long as it don't leak any more.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:08 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light
Re: tank dent leaks around gas cap.. how to fix?

JB weld breaks down in fuel, it'll quit working in a few months

you need something that isn't hurt by fuel.. It has to be safe for sealing fuel tanks. And when you do find an epoxy that is fuel safe, you must clean the area very good so there is no fuel residue.. If you get any fuel on an epoxy before it drys, it will most likely ruin it
Old 06-19-2010, 03:37 PM
soup mafia/squid mafia

cadillacZac will become famous soon enough

discount auto sells an epoxy in a tube , its a small round tube that the epoxy in it is gray . its made to fix gas tanks and works good . also liquid metal works good (not jb weld) but liquid metal .
Old 06-19-2010, 06:56 PM

110shred is a decent person

Dude ive got the same prob...around my cap theres a seam thats coming apart and ive used a gas tank sealer that you can get at a auto parts store however, when theres any pressure on it (like if i sit on it) the seam breaks and that stuff just comes apart. really sucks the only real way to fix it is welding it. if the hole isnt to bad try that stuff though first, its hard to find someone that is willing to weld a gas tank
Old 06-19-2010, 07:49 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

it's really not that bad welding a gas tank, if someone is REALLY worried about it, give it an acid bath at a radaitor shop

I spent $50 to have my gas tank put in a acid bath, and brazed shut in 2 places at a local radiator shop

Recently my tank split open again, except this time imma just clean the inside out with some water and degreaser, dry it out, and weld it for free
Old 06-19-2010, 09:06 PM

110shred is a decent person

yeah dish soap and water! lol keeping air blowing through it will also make the chances of it exploding down too haah
Old 06-19-2010, 09:09 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

if the gas is just leaking out from under the base of the cap then just get some gasket paper and make a gasket but make sure the vent on the base is working , on vortex gas caps i suggest taking the set screw out for the vent ..

if the tank it self is cracked then flush it out with water and weld it ..
Old 06-20-2010, 03:18 AM
C.E.O. of AJTellin's Mom.

BillDoe has a spectacular aura aboutBillDoe has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by old man roger
if the gas is just leaking out from under the base of the cap then just get some gasket paper and make a gasket but make sure the vent on the base is working , on vortex gas caps i suggest taking the set screw out for the vent ..

if the tank it self is cracked then flush it out with water and weld it ..
fo sho OMR!! Or go to your local airport and ask for some outdated stuff (aviation stuff has a shelf life) called ProSeal either P/S 890 b-2 or P/S 890 b-1/2 it is used for sealing fuel tanks in aircraft and I used it on a dented tank before. It will not break down under fuel of any kind.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:19 AM

wreckin_repsol is a decent person

braze it, or or to oreilys an where the mighty putty is an the is a black epoxy that is gas tank sealer. it works very very well an does not break down. I used it on the tank i painted for a harley an its lasted 2 years so far. its sandable an paintable to
Old 06-20-2010, 03:29 AM

oh an its in a tube kinda like quick steel
Old 06-20-2010, 11:39 AM
C.E.O. of AJTellin's Mom.

BillDoe has a spectacular aura aboutBillDoe has a spectacular aura about

Forgot about that stuff, I've used it before too its good stuff. I'd give that a shot first.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:45 AM
sack up or pack up!!!

beardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond repute

ask ajtellin what he would do....then go bang yourself....hahahahahahaha !
Old 06-20-2010, 01:52 PM

WILL215 is a decent person

permatex has this stuff in a grey tube that works like a weld and holds up to gas, ive had it on a leak on my old cbr worked great...
Old 06-20-2010, 02:57 PM

richd3000 is a decent person

Yeah mines leaking between the gas cap base and the tank. its got a rubber gaskit about 2mm thick maybe, and is held down by 3 screws to the tank. The cap base is aluminum and the tank steel so I can't weld it.. Thanks for all the info!
Old 06-20-2010, 04:18 PM
I'm in love with a lot

PancakePete is a glorious beacon of lightPancakePete is a glorious beacon of lightPancakePete is a glorious beacon of lightPancakePete is a glorious beacon of lightPancakePete is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by beardo
ask ajtellin what he would do....then go bang yourself....hahahahahahaha !
haha yeah you could do that, or just get some Seal-All. It's made to resist oil and gas... Had to build it up quite a bit but it got the job done and it's not permanent. AutoZone has it for the cheap. You can use it on anything you'd use superglue for too.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by PancakePete
haha yeah you could do that, or just get some Seal-All. It's made to resist oil and gas... Had to build it up quite a bit but it got the job done and it's not permanent. AutoZone has it for the cheap. You can use it on anything you'd use superglue for too.
idk what the deal was, but I tried that ****, and it got spongy and started leaking in like 4 months

But I didn't drain the fuel, or clean the surface.. So that was probably my problem
Old 06-20-2010, 05:12 PM
I'm in love with a lot

PancakePete is a glorious beacon of lightPancakePete is a glorious beacon of lightPancakePete is a glorious beacon of lightPancakePete is a glorious beacon of lightPancakePete is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Towlieee
idk what the deal was, but I tried that ****, and it got spongy and started leaking in like 4 months

But I didn't drain the fuel, or clean the surface.. So that was probably my problem
Only been around two months since I did it. Time will tell...
Old 06-20-2010, 05:16 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by richd3000
Yeah mines leaking between the gas cap base and the tank. its got a rubber gaskit about 2mm thick maybe, and is held down by 3 screws to the tank. The cap base is aluminum and the tank steel so I can't weld it.. Thanks for all the info!
the talk about welding was for a crack in the tank for the base just go to napa and get some gasket paper and make a new gasket but like i mentioned if the vent doesnt work then it will blow right through the gasket , you have to make sure the cap vents ..

on vortex style caps there is usually a little set screw that holds a check ball and a spring [right side of picture] and they usually dont work very well just take out the set screw and remove the spring and check ball and leave the set screw out ..

Old 06-20-2010, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by PancakePete

good ****! I jumped my car when i was 16 an busted the oil pan went to walmart an got seal all an covered the walmart bag with it an stuck it to the oil pan dried hard an held up for ever.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:25 PM
sack up or pack up!!!

beardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond repute

hahaha thats a new level of ghetto^^^^

Quick Reply: tank dent leaks around gas cap.. how to fix?