Stunt Bike Forum

Stunt Bike Forum (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/)
-   Stunt Discussion (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/2-stunt-discussion)
-   -   tank dent leaks around gas cap.. how to fix? (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/2-stunt-discussion/279735-tank-dent-leaks-around.html)

richd3000 06-19-2010 02:36 PM

tank dent leaks around gas cap.. how to fix?

I have a tank that's dented in that feels awesome, but it leaks gas when in a tall wheelie. I tried ultra black gasket maker but only worked a few days. Has anyone tried JB Weld or any apoxys? I got a threaded cap so I don't mind perminantly attaching it as long as it don't leak any more.

Towlieee 06-19-2010 03:08 PM

Re: tank dent leaks around gas cap.. how to fix?

JB weld breaks down in fuel, it'll quit working in a few months

you need something that isn't hurt by fuel.. It has to be safe for sealing fuel tanks. And when you do find an epoxy that is fuel safe, you must clean the area very good so there is no fuel residue.. If you get any fuel on an epoxy before it drys, it will most likely ruin it

cadillacZac 06-19-2010 03:37 PM

discount auto sells an epoxy in a tube , its a small round tube that the epoxy in it is gray . its made to fix gas tanks and works good . also liquid metal works good (not jb weld) but liquid metal . :2cents

110shred 06-19-2010 06:56 PM

Dude ive got the same prob...around my cap theres a seam thats coming apart and ive used a gas tank sealer that you can get at a auto parts store however, when theres any pressure on it (like if i sit on it) the seam breaks and that stuff just comes apart. really sucks the only real way to fix it is welding it. if the hole isnt to bad try that stuff though first, its hard to find someone that is willing to weld a gas tank:LOL

Towlieee 06-19-2010 07:49 PM

it's really not that bad welding a gas tank, if someone is REALLY worried about it, give it an acid bath at a radaitor shop

I spent $50 to have my gas tank put in a acid bath, and brazed shut in 2 places at a local radiator shop

Recently my tank split open again, except this time imma just clean the inside out with some water and degreaser, dry it out, and weld it for free :2cents

110shred 06-19-2010 09:06 PM

yeah dish soap and water! lol keeping air blowing through it will also make the chances of it exploding down too haah

old man roger 06-19-2010 09:09 PM

if the gas is just leaking out from under the base of the cap then just get some gasket paper and make a gasket but make sure the vent on the base is working , on vortex gas caps i suggest taking the set screw out for the vent ..

if the tank it self is cracked then flush it out with water and weld it ..

BillDoe 06-20-2010 03:18 AM

[quote=old man roger;4342497]if the gas is just leaking out from under the base of the cap then just get some gasket paper and make a gasket but make sure the vent on the base is working , on vortex gas caps i suggest taking the set screw out for the vent ..

if the tank it self is cracked then flush it out with water and weld it ..[/quote]

fo sho OMR!! Or go to your local airport and ask for some outdated stuff (aviation stuff has a shelf life) called ProSeal either P/S 890 b-2 or P/S 890 b-1/2 it is used for sealing fuel tanks in aircraft and I used it on a dented tank before. It will not break down under fuel of any kind.

wreckin_repsol 06-20-2010 03:19 AM

braze it, or or to oreilys an where the mighty putty is an the is a black epoxy that is gas tank sealer. it works very very well an does not break down. I used it on the tank i painted for a harley an its lasted 2 years so far. its sandable an paintable to

wreckin_repsol 06-20-2010 03:29 AM

oh an its in a tube kinda like quick steel

BillDoe 06-20-2010 11:39 AM

Forgot about that stuff, I've used it before too its good stuff. I'd give that a shot first.

beardo 06-20-2010 11:45 AM

ask ajtellin what he would do....then go bang yourself....hahahahahahaha :banghead!

WILL215 06-20-2010 01:52 PM

permatex has this stuff in a grey tube that works like a weld and holds up to gas, ive had it on a leak on my old cbr worked great...

richd3000 06-20-2010 02:57 PM

Yeah mines leaking between the gas cap base and the tank. its got a rubber gaskit about 2mm thick maybe, and is held down by 3 screws to the tank. The cap base is aluminum and the tank steel so I can't weld it.. Thanks for all the info!

PancakePete 06-20-2010 04:18 PM

[QUOTE=beardo;4342654]ask ajtellin what he would do....then go bang yourself....hahahahahahaha :banghead![/QUOTE]

haha yeah you could do that, or just get some Seal-All. It's made to resist oil and gas... Had to build it up quite a bit but it got the job done and it's not permanent. AutoZone has it for the cheap. You can use it on anything you'd use superglue for too.

[IMG]http://www.ace4parts.com/images/products/380112_medium.jpg[/IMG]

Towlieee 06-20-2010 04:31 PM

[QUOTE=PancakePete;4342736]haha yeah you could do that, or just get some Seal-All. It's made to resist oil and gas... Had to build it up quite a bit but it got the job done and it's not permanent. AutoZone has it for the cheap. You can use it on anything you'd use superglue for too.[/QUOTE]

idk what the deal was, but I tried that shit, and it got spongy and started leaking in like 4 months

But I didn't drain the fuel, or clean the surface.. So that was probably my problem

PancakePete 06-20-2010 05:12 PM

[QUOTE=Towlieee;4342744]idk what the deal was, but I tried that shit, and it got spongy and started leaking in like 4 months

But I didn't drain the fuel, or clean the surface.. So that was probably my problem[/QUOTE]

Only been around two months since I did it. Time will tell...:shruggs

old man roger 06-20-2010 05:16 PM

[quote=richd3000;4342719]Yeah mines leaking between the gas cap base and the tank. its got a rubber gaskit about 2mm thick maybe, and is held down by 3 screws to the tank. The cap base is aluminum and the tank steel so I can't weld it.. Thanks for all the info![/quote]

the talk about welding was for a crack in the tank for the base just go to napa and get some gasket paper and make a new gasket but like i mentioned if the vent doesnt work then it will blow right through the gasket , you have to make sure the cap vents ..

on vortex style caps there is usually a little set screw that holds a check ball and a spring [right side of picture] and they usually dont work very well just take out the set screw and remove the spring and check ball and leave the set screw out ..

[IMG]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l90/liduno/vortex.jpg[/IMG]

wreckin_repsol 06-20-2010 05:30 PM

[quote=PancakePete;4342736]haha yeah you could do that, or just get some Seal-All. It's made to resist oil and gas... Had to build it up quite a bit but it got the job done and it's not permanent. AutoZone has it for the cheap. You can use it on anything you'd use superglue for too.

[IMG]http://www.ace4parts.com/images/products/380112_medium.jpg[/IMG][/quote]

good shit! I jumped my car when i was 16 an busted the oil pan went to walmart an got seal all an covered the walmart bag with it an stuck it to the oil pan dried hard an held up for ever.

beardo 06-20-2010 09:25 PM

hahaha thats a new level of ghetto^^^^