feeling sketched out about my 636 forks

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 02:31 PM
life is good......BRAAAP!

-nelson will become famous soon enough
feeling sketched out about my 636 forks

My forks are still stock 03-04. I have never had an issue with my forks, Ive been rolling out second gear endos on it for a while now. Ive heard about the possibility of them snapping a while back, but always thought that if everything was tight and my fork seals were straight I would be fine. So now after doing thread searches, and reading all the stories Im starting to feel a little sketched out about doing stoppies. I heard that the 03-04 fork tubes have a thinner wall, weaker metal?

I just did my fork seals, and I used 5 wt Torco racing fluid, but I have the settings dialed in on hard, even the adjuster itself is turned in all the way. They feel fine, ive been out a few times rolling endos with the new seals and fluid, buuut that pic of the dude with the snapped forks is still on my mind.

It looks like theres still a bunch of people chancing it, with these forks. Id like to know how many people are still rocking them with no issues? Im going to do the front end conversion when I can, just gotta save up.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:56 PM
IV
"bitchen"

IV will become famous soon enough
Re: feeling sketched out about my 636 forks

**** those weak *** 03/04 forks. deff do the swap ASAP or at least get some fork sleeves from full throttle. of course thats just my and im sure 50 people will jump in here and say your forks are fine. chance it if you want but you are clearly concerned or you wouldnt be posting this.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:04 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

the 05 06 have a thicker wall on the chrome part of the fork and yes the 03 04 can snap with no warning because of the thinner wall they flex when you brake hard and what happens to metal that gets flexed alot ? ya it breaks
Old 03-25-2010, 03:13 PM
www.myspace.com/impaktech

Dick Loogie Stunts has much to be proud ofDick Loogie Stunts has much to be proud ofDick Loogie Stunts has much to be proud ofDick Loogie Stunts has much to be proud ofDick Loogie Stunts has much to be proud ofDick Loogie Stunts has much to be proud ofDick Loogie Stunts has much to be proud ofDick Loogie Stunts has much to be proud of

i think you already know the right thing to do...its almost like you posted this in hopes some peeps would tell you they are fine...they ARENT....

Name:  epic03-04forksFAIL.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  43.3 KB
Old 03-25-2010, 03:36 PM
Is building another f4i

skillz is just really niceskillz is just really niceskillz is just really niceskillz is just really niceskillz is just really nice

those forks are seven years old at this point , seen it happen to one of my friends , if you run 03 forks and they break you deserve whats coming to you. the facts are out there
Old 03-25-2010, 03:44 PM
Soup Mafia

Ethiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to behold

chance it if you want, fact is all forks break, some easier then others. recently heard of r6 inverted forks breaking like crazy, have heard of people breaking 05 636 forks also.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:56 PM
Soup Mafia

Ethiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dick Loogie Stunts
i think you already know the right thing to do...its almost like you posted this in hopes some peeps would tell you they are fine...they ARENT....

not sticking up for the 03 forks but this didnt happen outta nowhere, he rode with his seals blown for a little bit wich coulda factored into this, also the shop that rebuilt them fucked up on something putting them back together.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:10 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

blown fork seals arent the cause it's the fact that the chrome part of the fork is made out of thin metal and when you bend metal it gets weak and the shop didnt do any thing wrong they noticed the forks were cracked and told him they were cracked or at least thats what he told me ..
Old 03-25-2010, 04:21 PM

sdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ethiopian
chance it if you want, fact is all forks break, some easier then others. recently heard of r6 inverted forks breaking like crazy, have heard of people breaking 05 636 forks also.
who has ever broken r6 forks?
Old 03-25-2010, 04:25 PM
Soup Mafia

Billd has said he's broke numourous, johnybravo broke a set.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:26 PM
also known as OMR

Billd has said he's broke numourous, johnybravo broke a set.
bill likes to smash into concrete block walls and cars
Old 03-25-2010, 04:27 PM
Is building another f4i

skillz is just really niceskillz is just really niceskillz is just really niceskillz is just really niceskillz is just really nice

when you say broken do you mean snapped without any warning?
Old 03-25-2010, 04:30 PM

sdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by skillz
yah cuz someone snapping forks while in a stoppie u usually hear about it cuz theres a wreck that goes along with it and usually some injuries lol
Old 03-25-2010, 04:34 PM
a k a jeremiah damn it

Jnutz1 is a decent person

Originally Posted by old man roger
the 05 06 have a thicker wall on the chrome part of the fork and yes the 03 04 can snap with no warning because of the thinner wall they flex when you brake hard and what happens to metal that gets flexed alot ? ya it breaks

welll i gotta roll up int this thread beings i am mister fork snapp...(see pic below) rog is correct with the tube thickness and what not but, bubash as well as a few other peeps have had the 05-06 forks come apart as well.. i agree with ethiopian on his comment...im sure all will fail in time..abuse ,wear and tear.,,, but for safety sake take them 03 04s off now... i ve personally saved probly (real estimate) 10 different peeps from sure death with those forks...kevin marino for example just last june (starboyz show)
Old 03-25-2010, 04:38 PM
a k a jeremiah damn it

Originally Posted by old man roger
blown fork seals arent the cause it's the fact that the chrome part of the fork is made out of thin metal and when you bend metal it gets weak and the shop didnt do any thing wrong they noticed the forks were cracked and told him they were cracked or at least thats what he told me ..

they told the lawyers that.... but when asked if that were true , and could the shop produce a written waiver slip (liability form thing stating they made me aware of that ).... they couldnt provide any documentation..
Old 03-25-2010, 04:46 PM
Soup Mafia

Originally Posted by skillz
i would hope they snapped without warning, why would anyone ride with forks that have warning signs of breaking?
Old 03-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Soup Mafia

im not sticking up for these forks, i just know i didnt have any problems with them and i know quite a few people that havent had any issues either and there still rocking them. i now got r6 forks just to be safe i guess.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:59 PM
a k a jeremiah damn it

im not sticking up for these forks, i just know i didnt have any problems with them and i know quite a few people that havent had any issues either and there still rocking them. i now got r6 forks just to be safe i guess.

and u rock the soup mafia edition preventative fork snapping rag on ur forks ...just in case .... haha
Old 03-25-2010, 05:01 PM
myspace.com/atowncustoms

slidewayz89 is just really niceslidewayz89 is just really niceslidewayz89 is just really niceslidewayz89 is just really niceslidewayz89 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jnutz1
and u rock the soup mafia edition preventative fork snapping rag on ur forks ...just in case .... haha

I noticed that too and the fact that this dude is 85lbs wet doesnt help either. lol
Old 03-25-2010, 05:02 PM
Soup Mafia

I double them shop rags up just incase, but omr said it himself blown seal have nothing to do with broke forks so I'm good.

Quick Reply: feeling sketched out about my 636 forks