Strong Points in a Stunt Frame

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 06:54 PM
Call me *Point Blank*

cbr_stunt is an unknown quantity at this point
Strong Points in a Stunt Frame

So the last thread i posted didnt get as much info as i needed about building stunt frames so i figured i make a new thread with a question that'll get me the info i need.

I need to know where on a stuntbike "Frame wise" do we need stronger points.I as a stunter have only been riding for 9 months now and have learn a ton this year but as far as broken frame or cracks at certain spots i didnt really go through beating my bike to **** yet.So i looking for so GOOD advice on past experiences that can lead to making this frame strong as we need.Also what type of frame should we base if off of ( ALUMINUM OR STEEL) or try both. the reason i ask that is because i got riders saying we should make it out of aluminun and riders saying steel.

All advice will be greatly noted and will benefit all of us later on.Also the price i wrote in the last thread was a set price. he still hasnt got back to me on a set price yet but ill defently do some talking to get in into the 1500 to 2 grand mark.Ive already got atleast 5 people ready to send there parts to get him started on a frame for them.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:07 PM
IDLE WHORE

JOHN J has a spectacular aura aboutJOHN J has a spectacular aura about
Re: Strong Points in a Stunt Frame

1st

you need to invest in a helmet, you've been hanging around charlie too much
Old 11-10-2009, 07:19 PM
DONT READ THIS! Dammit!

BoDuke01 is a decent person

Try both alum and steel. Look in the how toos section at subframe reinforcement and Iv seen some threads on frame gussets and reinforcements too.
On stock frames like my gsxr, which are notorious for weak frames, they need to b reinforced around the neck, and subframe tabs, Sturdy motor mounts are important too. Build em tight for shin and knee clearance and gusset the crap out of em and itd b gravy.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:26 PM
Call me *Point Blank*

Originally Posted by JOHN J
1st

you need to invest in a helmet, you've been hanging around charlie too much
nah its not like that at all.i took that pic for my mom for her bday sent it to her in her bday card and thats the trick i wanted to do which was on idle so i took it off so she'd see my whole face.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:28 PM
Call me *Point Blank*

Originally Posted by BoDuke01
Try both alum and steel. Look in the how toos section at subframe reinforcement and Iv seen some threads on frame gussets and reinforcements too.
On stock frames like my gsxr, which are notorious for weak frames, they need to b reinforced around the neck, and subframe tabs, Sturdy motor mounts are important too. Build em tight for shin and knee clearance and gusset the crap out of em and itd b gravy.
awesome.that exactly what im looking for.keep um coming guys.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:36 PM
DONT READ THIS! Dammit!

check around for opinions on which bikes stoppie the best and are stable on one wheel then design around those bikes geometry. I think most of those factors are heavily influenced by suspension but engine placement and things like rake, pitch, wheel base, ride height, etc are what ud be changing and playing w to make them stunt specific. Vert spec frames, bmx race frames, and a flatland specific frames all have different geometry. Right now we are all stunting race bike frames and basically doing flat land stunts. Get it right and it will def take the sport to the next level. Check out this link to get an idea on what I mean.
http://www.danscomp.com/serve.php?serve=html&html=frames.html/
Im sure ur frame guy knows alot more about sportbike geometry than I do
Old 11-10-2009, 08:32 PM

ryans900 is a decent person

i personally think that this is all unessisary you could replace the frame twice over for the mone and im not sure how it would look kinda would take away some of the fun you wouldnt even be able to call your bike a f4i or 636 there is all this **** out there to make **** easyier and stronger kinda taking the skill/fun outta workin and whenyou break **** it teaches you something but thats just what i think
Old 11-10-2009, 11:04 PM

FiveStarSky is a decent person

i would say go with steel, as it would be easier to modify for custom set ups
Old 11-10-2009, 11:21 PM
DONT READ THIS! Dammit!

Originally Posted by ryans900
i personally think that this is all unessisary you could replace the frame twice over for the mone and im not sure how it would look kinda would take away some of the fun you wouldnt even be able to call your bike a f4i or 636 there is all this **** out there to make **** easyier and stronger kinda taking the skill/fun outta workin and whenyou break **** it teaches you something but thats just what i think
Well then stick to ur stock zuma then. Seriously dude who the **** wants to go out and **** their **** up over and over? What takes the fun out of it is when ur spending ur money on replacement parts and all ur time fixing ur bike instead of riding. Id rather call my bike a stunt bike than just another F4i or zx6r. If uv got better parts and equipment than u can progress quicker and push harder. You sound more into the "scene" than the actual riding dude.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:13 PM
Call me *Point Blank*

Originally Posted by ryans900
sounds dum to me but to all who are for this they wont need to spend money again on the same **** they bought before just waiting on it to break again

whats skill and fun have to do with breaking a frame.Id be pissed riding and my frame broke but just like you said that just what i think.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:24 PM

FrameCrafters is a decent person

OK guys......here it is.

Yes, Framecrafters Inc. in the Chicago area IS starting development on a PURPOSE BUILT STUNT FRAME. These frames will be built from 4130 Aircraft quality Chromoloy. This is the same material used\found in Ducati\Bimota\KTM chassis's. The perimeter-trellis design will be implemented using 1.25" x .058 sizes initially and all our products are always TIG welded. Heavier and thicker tubing is available and can be used if we determine it is neccessary. Do not be fooled by numbers, this is ultra-strong material even in the smallest dimensions. Lightweight, rigid, strong as 2 ox's is our goal and ALL our products carry limited lifetime warranty.

What we are doing now is research. It is crucial that all aspects be covered prior to a protype production. FC has a ton of experience in this area and I can tell you production doesnt happen overnight. We have collected data from several areas so-far but still need more.
We are looking for input from seasoned veterans and pros who know what they like and dont like in the OEM chassis set-ups......where do the common frames fail brake\crack, etc. and how we can improve these inherent flaws. We are also looking into the use of direct bolt-on OEM swing-arms with our frames which will contribute to a lower price point. Eventually we will be looking for certain model engine cases and guinea pigs to help with final developement and testing.

There is a lot of talk about pricing. Let me set the record straight.
Our base frames (including swingarms\subframes and all necessary mounts) are in the range of $2600 to $3600. The stunt frame is NO exception. If you want top-shelf hand made products you have to pay to play, and you get what you pay for. These frames are not being marketed to the average wanabe stunter doing wheelies in front of his mamas house. These chassis are being designed for top level stunters who want that edge over the competitor. We would like to see pricing closer to $2k but as of now this is not possible. However, FC does offer lower cost mods for OEM frames to resolve cracking and flexing issuses. We also offer repairs\straightening and one-off parts fabrication. Discounts are available for all current license holding competitors.

As of right now almost every stunter is using a street\roadrace frame. Every motorsport has a dedicated chassis on the pro levels....why not stunters?

We greatly appreciate everyones input on this innovative project. Please feel free to contact us directly with repair\fab questions or anything else that pertains to our line of expertise.

Karsten Illg
www.Framecrafters.net
815-923-4537
Old 11-11-2009, 04:49 PM
shady since the 80's

Austin913 is a decent person

Originally Posted by BoDuke01
check around for opinions on which bikes stoppie the best and are stable on one wheel then design around those bikes geometry. I think most of those factors are heavily influenced by suspension but engine placement and things like rake, pitch, wheel base, ride height, etc are what ud be changing and playing w to make them stunt specific. Vert spec frames, bmx race frames, and a flatland specific frames all have different geometry. Right now we are all stunting race bike frames and basically doing flat land stunts. Get it right and it will def take the sport to the next level. Check out this link to get an idea on what I mean.
http://www.danscomp.com/serve.php?serve=html&html=frames.html/
Im sure ur frame guy knows alot more about sportbike geometry than I do
fuggin awesome way to tie in BMX and breaking down different frame geometries. I miss riding the pedal bikes, but I get hurt less on the stunt bike.