Any interest in "stunt" transmission gears?

Old 07-28-2009, 01:50 PM
Yut-ugh.

nickalltogether is a decent person
Any interest in "stunt" transmission gears?

I'm really not sure if this idea has been tossed out there before, but I have always thought it would be really nice if a "short" 1st gear or "long" 6th gear were offered for common stuntbike transmissions. I have a 50 tooth on my 636 right now, and it's reasonable for the lots, but really makes anything above 55mph annoying if you're just cruising. I am not 100% sure if I will be able to get anything going with it, but there is a chance I could be able to help get some short 1st gears made (smaller sprocket would produce the same results in first gear, but still give you "longer" more streetable 2-6th gears) or even an extra long 6th gear so you could run bigger sprockets ie-50-60 tooth without the bike screaming down the highway.

Point of the post- would anyone be interested in these for 03-04 636 and different bikes later or should I just not worry about it?
Old 07-28-2009, 01:52 PM
Post Whore Nazi

MoHawk User spends way too much time asking for repMoHawk User spends way too much time asking for repMoHawk User spends way too much time asking for repMoHawk User spends way too much time asking for repMoHawk User spends way too much time asking for repMoHawk User spends way too much time asking for repMoHawk User spends way too much time asking for repMoHawk User spends way too much time asking for repMoHawk User spends way too much time asking for repMoHawk User spends way too much time asking for repMoHawk User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: Any interest in "stunt" transmission gears?

I want a long sixth for an 06 Gix
Old 07-28-2009, 01:54 PM

John LegionST is a decent person

Originally Posted by nickalltogether
I'm really not sure if this idea has been tossed out there before, but I have always thought it would be really nice if a "short" 1st gear or "long" 6th gear were offered for common stuntbike transmissions. I have a 50 tooth on my 636 right now, and it's reasonable for the lots, but really makes anything above 55mph annoying if you're just cruising. I am not 100% sure if I will be able to get anything going with it, but there is a chance I could be able to help get some short 1st gears made (smaller sprocket would produce the same results in first gear, but still give you "longer" more streetable 2-6th gears) or even an extra long 6th gear so you could run bigger sprockets ie-50-60 tooth without the bike screaming down the highway.

Point of the post- would anyone be interested in these for 03-04 636 and different bikes later or should I just not worry about it?

Tossed this idea around a while back... i think in the end it was decided that YES stunters WOULD want it... but most stunters either can't afford or wouldn't be willing to pay for the parts and installation... but who knows now a days more people are capable of working on their own bikes and people are putting more $$$ into their stuntbikes...

I guess a price point would be the first place to start.. see how much this would cost and then see how many people would be interested...
Old 07-28-2009, 02:11 PM
Yut-ugh.

Originally Posted by John LegionST
Tossed this idea around a while back... i think in the end it was decided that YES stunters WOULD want it... but most stunters either can't afford or wouldn't be willing to pay for the parts and installation... but who knows now a days more people are capable of working on their own bikes and people are putting more $$$ into their stuntbikes...

I guess a price point would be the first place to start.. see how much this would cost and then see how many people would be interested...
I'm not sure where the price would fall for the parts, but based off what I've seen with manufacturing other parts so far, I think they would be pretty reasonable... If they were over 150 I would be surprised, but I couldn't be held to that price of course.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:16 PM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by nickalltogether

The ideas been tossed around before. We looked at a bunch of common stuntbikes gearboxes and found that 1st gear is as low as it can be made on all of them, and is not replaceable. But 6th could potentially be replaced if youre willing to do the work.
I can give you more info on 1st gear if you want.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:20 PM
Yut-ugh.

Originally Posted by MikeM
The ideas been tossed around before. We looked at a bunch of common stuntbikes gearboxes and found that 1st gear is as low as it can be made on all of them, and is not replaceable. But 6th could potentially be replaced if youre willing to do the work.
I can give you more info on 1st gear if you want.
We had already discussed that the housing may not be large enough to accomodate a different (larger) first gear, but there could always be room for a smaller 6th gear, unless the diameter of the factory 6th was just simply too small to go any smaller... kinda like running too small on the front sprocket.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:43 PM
yutt uggghhh

mdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud of

its a sick idea but would take a lot of time and engineering and the cost at first would be astronomical but would definitely be a welcome addition if it could be justified or mass produced to make them cheaper
Old 07-28-2009, 02:50 PM
J Blox

frayz has a spectacular aura aboutfrayz has a spectacular aura aboutfrayz has a spectacular aura about

I would say if you make 6th drastically longer go ahead and make fifth a lil longer as well.. price of gears should be 50-60 bucks and if you make them out of crap steel have them cryo treated..
Old 07-28-2009, 02:53 PM

Tomball_D is an unknown quantity at this point

That'd be sweet to not be pegged at like 15k rpm doing 60 in 6th.
Tranny work isn't all that cheap though.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:53 PM
Yut-ugh.

I don't feel like the initial cost would be too great. The initial time investment would be pretty high, but since most of the parties involved are good friends and would do it for little or no cost to me I think I may be able to get the ball rolling.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:55 PM
Yut-ugh.

Originally Posted by frayz
I would say if you make 6th drastically longer go ahead and make fifth a lil longer as well.. price of gears should be 50-60 bucks and if you make them out of crap steel have them cryo treated..
My thoughts exactly... In case you have to dip out you wouldn't have to worry about hitting limiter in 5th and then dropping down to something like 7 grand in 6th haha. Maybe put 5th where stock 6th is and then go even farther with the new 6th.

And yes, tranny work isn't cheap due to splitting the cases. I think that's the thing that would stop most people.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:08 PM
Race To The Grave

AntwanRTTG is an unknown quantity at this point

Well for the sake of showing interest ... You have got my vote. I would love to have a wider range without changing my sprockets out. I like the idea of having a shorter 1st and possibly 2nd gear. I would pay quite a bit for it.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:15 PM
Yut-ugh.

Like it was stated in this thread though, the physical size required to make a shorter 1st might rule that possibility out. A longer 5th and 6th would allow you to run a larger sprocket without all the problems associated with street-riding with it... plus you'd still have ridiculous acceleration 1-4th still haha. I'm really stoked on maybe getting this made just for myself, I don't even really care to make any money off of it.. I hope it can pan out.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:19 PM
www.frontiercycle.com

jebova2301 is a decent person

i think it sounds like a great idea. if you want to do that for an r6(2003), i would go for it if it wasnt too costly. just be sure they are quality materials so people dont end up with all kinds of **** in their tranny because of cheap gears. the only thing is, i think you would have to make 2 gears at least for each gear you want to make taller. dont you have two gears that mesh together? if so, you cant make one smaller without one being larger. i might be wrong though
Old 07-28-2009, 03:25 PM
Yut-ugh.

^That's what we're expecting, 2 gears for each "gear", and oem quality materials would be used ideally.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:42 PM

Mr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud of

I once thought about what it would take to make a set up like you find on pedal bikes to push the chain on to diff. gears while riding. Anything is posible but it probibly would not hold up to well...

Old 07-28-2009, 03:46 PM
yutt uggghhh

mdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud of

^^^^^^ that would be scary as ***
Old 07-28-2009, 03:50 PM
awww **** motorcycles!

paragus is a name known to allparagus is a name known to allparagus is a name known to allparagus is a name known to allparagus is a name known to allparagus is a name known to all

got my interest.. ive thought of this before as well.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:10 PM
Yut-ugh.

Originally Posted by Mr. Hooligan
I once thought about what it would take to make a set up like you find on pedal bikes to push the chain on to diff. gears while riding. Anything is posible but it probibly would not hold up to well...

That has been discussed on this site before... so unsafe haha.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:11 PM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by Mr. Hooligan

try flexing a motorcycle chain side to side like a mountain bike chain

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any interest in "stunt" transmission gears?