Boilin brake fluid.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 01:45 PM

Righteous 1 has a spectacular aura aboutRighteous 1 has a spectacular aura about
Boilin brake fluid.....

So......I had my first SEVERE brake fade the other day with my 4-piston footbrake. Granted......I did zeros back and forth, left and right, for about 3-4 minutes straight..

Afterward....my brake pedal bottomed out, and had absolutely NO pressure whatsoever! Sure am glad I did a HB whoolie and not a FB whoolie right afterward..

I was runnin Bel-Ray super dot 4.........guess its time to run RBF 600 or that new Castrol 700 from here on out!!

Soooo.....point of the thread is to warn 4-piston users to use the best quality brake fluid you can afford!!
Old 07-15-2009, 01:57 PM
STUNTRIDE FRONTLINE

-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of
Re: Boilin brake fluid.....

I change my brake fluid every month or so. Keeping fresh fluid makes a HUGE differance
Old 07-15-2009, 02:02 PM

krazykyle85 is a decent person

Originally Posted by Righteous 1
So......I had my first SEVERE brake fade the other day with my 4-piston footbrake. Granted......I did zeros back and forth, left and right, for about 3-4 minutes straight..

Afterward....my brake pedal bottomed out, and had absolutely NO pressure whatsoever! Sure am glad I did a HB whoolie and not a FB whoolie right afterward..

I was runnin Bel-Ray super dot 4.........guess its time to run RBF 600 or that new Castrol 700 from here on out!!

Soooo.....point of the thread is to warn 4-piston users to use the best quality brake fluid you can afford!!

Damn brake fade from zeros?! Wow. Iss your idle at like 7 grand and you were just raping the brakes?

I have stock Kawi caliper with HH pads and RBF600..
All it takes is alil brake pressure..
I've never had foot brake fade...
Only gotn mushy when fluid needs to be changed...
Maybe you just need fresh fluids?!

Crazy
Old 07-15-2009, 02:02 PM

Righteous 1 has a spectacular aura aboutRighteous 1 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by -SKETCHY-
I change my brake fluid every month or so. Keeping fresh fluid makes a HUGE differance
Oh....fo sho!

This stuff was like two weeks old!
Old 07-15-2009, 02:04 PM
u been huffin?

f4ibry is an unknown quantity at this point

dang josh

killen zeros makin that fluid scream! hahah
Old 07-15-2009, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by krazykyle85
Damn brake fade from zeros?! Wow. Iss your idle at like 7 grand and you were just raping the brakes?

I have stock Kawi caliper with HH pads and RBF600..
All it takes is alil brake pressure..
I've never had foot brake fade...
Only gotn mushy when fluid needs to be changed...
Maybe you just need fresh fluids?!

Crazy
Ha ha......yeah....I'm a brake raper doin zeros. I was doin hand drags and stuff, so I was definetely using the goods! And.....I'm not exagerating.....it was like 3-4 minutes STRAIGHT!

Probably runin about 4 grand.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:06 PM

DrasticDan is an unknown quantity at this point

RBF 600

Only thing i run.. And change out my fluid often..
And i would not think zero's would cause it to boil over because you should barley be using the brake doing them?
Old 07-15-2009, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by f4ibry
dang josh

killen zeros makin that fluid scream! hahah
Ha ha....yeah.....did like 8 back to back figure eights, some hand drags, and some more just flopin around!

How YOU doin.....Buddddddy!?!
Old 07-15-2009, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by DrasticDan
RBF 600

Only thing i run.. And change out my fluid often..
And i would not think zero's would cause it to boil over because you should barley be using the brake doing them?
As stated above........I DO rape the brake doin zeros. Guess its just my style...
Old 07-15-2009, 02:12 PM

JohnnyP is a decent person

I just swapped to Motul RBF 660 from RBF 600....It has a 20 degree higher boiling point.....The highest from any fluid that I have found....
Old 07-15-2009, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
I just swapped to Motul RBF 660 from RBF 600....It has a 20 degree higher boiling point.....The highest from any fluid that I have found....
Thanks Johnny!! Have you tried/seen the Castrol 700? Heard that's the goods, too...
Old 07-15-2009, 02:28 PM

Thanks Johnny!! Have you tried/seen the Castrol 700? Heard that's the goods, too...
No I havent

The Castrol high temp fluid I was recommended is the Castrol SRF and I didnt go with that for a few reasons..

1 I cannot find any info on the actual boiling points, so I dont know if its any better then RBF 600 or 660....The race shop I go to swears its better then RBF, but they are not using it the same way were are.....So for me I trust the numbers from the manufacturer, and Castrol is just saying is exceeds the requirements...

And 2 its $80 Canadian a bottle! And its double the size of regular fluid bottles at 1L...And I dont like using fluid that has been open for longer then a few days, so it would be a waste unless I was doing a few bikes at the same time...
Old 07-15-2009, 02:30 PM
NealFoReal

OnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for rep

Arent you more concerned with the wet boiling point of the fluid I thought that as you use your brakes you heat your fluid and it no longer boils at the dry boiling point - it does at the wet boiling point RBF600 has a 421° wet boiling point while 660 RBF is 399° Dry boiling points are 593 & 617.

And I found this online for Castrol SRF
Exceptionally high dry boiling point of 590ºF (Wet 518ºF)
Old 07-15-2009, 02:33 PM

No I havent

The Castrol high temp fluid I was recommended is the Castrol SRF and I didnt go with that for a few reasons..

1 I cannot find any info on the actual boiling points, so I dont know if its any better then RBF 600 or 660....The race shop I go to swears its better then RBF, but they are not using it the same way were are.....So for me I trust the numbers from the manufacturer, and Castrol is just saying is exceeds the requirements...

And 2 its $80 Canadian a bottle! And its double the size of regular fluid bottles at 1L...And I dont like using fluid that has been open for longer then a few days, so it would be a waste unless I was doing a few bikes at the same time...
Ahhh.......well thank you for the info! Looks like I'm gonna pick up a bottle of the RBF 660. Thanks again, Johnny!
Old 07-15-2009, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by OnEWhEeLNEAL
Arent you more concerned with the wet boiling point of the fluid I thought that as you use your brakes you heat your fluid and it no longer boils at the dry boiling point - it does at the wet boiling point RBF600 has a 421° wet boiling point while 660 RBF is 399° Dry boiling points are 593 & 617.

Damnit, Neal!! Now you're confusing me!

How U doin, bro!?!
Old 07-15-2009, 02:35 PM

DrasticDan is an unknown quantity at this point

Opps yeah i use the motul rbf600
Old 07-15-2009, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by OnEWhEeLNEAL

Where did you get those numbers?

This site that sells all the high temp fluids states differently, they say 518/590

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gro...pID=BRAKEFLUID
Old 07-15-2009, 02:37 PM
NealFoReal

OnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for rep

Where did you get those numbers?

This site that sells all the high temp fluids states differently, they say 518/590

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gro...pID=BRAKEFLUID
518/590 for what - castrol or the rbf660? castrol - thats what I put above 518/590
Old 07-15-2009, 02:39 PM

Ahhh.......well thank you for the info! Looks like I'm gonna pick up a bottle of the RBF 660. Thanks again, Johnny!
You might not need it, RBF 600 is great and almost half the price...Also I had to order the 660, as all the shops around here only stock the 600...

The reason I swapped to 660 is because I though I was boiling my brake fluid, but it turns out one of the banjos on the brake line that came with my FTI dual quad setup was weeping fluid at the fitting were its pressed onto the line...

So I dont know if I was actually cooking the fluid, or if the brake fade came from the leak.....At that point it was too late, as I noticed the leak while bleeding in the new 660 fluid
Old 07-15-2009, 02:39 PM

I went straight to Motuls site, and Neal is right. The 660 has a lower WET boiling point than the 600....STRANGE. It DOES have a higher DRY boiling point, but wet is lower, by 14 degrees celcius or something like that.

Quick Reply: Boilin brake fluid.....