adjusted my f4i cam chain tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 04:32 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: adjusted my f4i cam chain tensioner

Originally Posted by old man roger
the longer you leave the broken cct in there the more teeth break off and they go in your gear box that and the valve timing will be off so the bike will have less and less power as more teeth break off ...
Originally Posted by OnPoint
We should do a pole. I wounder how many people have ran their bike to high mileage without an adj. tensioner, how many people do the mod to prevent blowing the motor, and how many people have actually blown their motor by not doing the mod?
Old 03-18-2009, 11:12 PM

sketchy is a decent person

i just bought a new stock cct from honda. the owner told me they are on the 4 edition of them so they have recieved alot of improvements. im thinkin they last alot longer now so i would just go with a new stocker just make sure they arent givin you one thats been sittin around awhile and is an old edition.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:24 PM

VerticalLimits is a decent person

omr and towlieee are both right, there's a spring inside that normally wears out, causing the stock cct not to extend out when the chain starts to wear/stretch. That causes it to vibrate and break off the teeth on some cases. Any bike i get, i install a man. cct from the start. I do just as omr said as per adjusting, i just go about 1/4 turn after the noise stops.. I installed/adjusted the one on my 04 636 last march, and have yet to adjust it since.....
Old 03-18-2009, 11:35 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by sketchy
i just bought a new stock cct from honda. the owner told me they are on the 4 edition of them so they have recieved alot of improvements. im thinkin they last alot longer now so i would just go with a new stocker just make sure they arent givin you one thats been sittin around awhile and is an old edition.
manual cct = never fail .
Old 03-19-2009, 12:34 AM

kuziken is an unknown quantity at this point

just ordered mine
Old 03-19-2009, 12:22 PM
Life is a Risk so Live It

OnPoint is a decent person

Originally Posted by VerticalLimits
omr and towlieee are both right, there's a spring inside that normally wears out, causing the stock cct not to extend out when the chain starts to wear/stretch. That causes it to vibrate and break off the teeth on some cases. Any bike i get, i install a man. cct from the start. I do just as omr said as per adjusting, i just go about 1/4 turn after the noise stops.. I installed/adjusted the one on my 04 636 last march, and have yet to adjust it since.....
My stock cct doesn't need replacement, at least yet. Do you recommend I still buy an adjustable one to prevent any issues from arising and seeing that it's enevitable that I going to have to replace it.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:07 PM

VerticalLimits is a decent person

i replace them on any bike i get, need it or not.... personal preference really, either wait till it goes bad and maybe have the money, or just buy it when you have the money and not worry about it anymore....
Old 03-19-2009, 01:22 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

manual cct = never fail .
+1

and considering a manual cct cost the same as a stock one, I don't know why people still use stock replacements

My stock cct doesn't need replacement, at least yet. Do you recommend I still buy an adjustable one to prevent any issues from arising and seeing that it's enevitable that I going to have to replace it.
How many miles are on your bike?
Whats it sound like if you hold the rpm at 3,500-4,000?

If it sounds like its buzzing/rattling/clanging, then its your cam chain tensoner most likely
Old 03-19-2009, 01:37 PM

kuziken is an unknown quantity at this point

its like 65 bucks shipped...just do it
Old 03-19-2009, 03:08 PM

ClutchClown04 is a decent person

The shop that I buy stuff from said I need a CCT but wanted to charge me 120 to install is this worth it or can i do this job on my own? this is not a cage or sliders something i could just figure out. can I mess this up or is it a simple swap?
Old 03-19-2009, 03:10 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ClutchClown04
The shop that I buy stuff from said I need a CCT but wanted to charge me 120 to install is this worth it or can i do this job on my own? this is not a cage or sliders something i could just figure out. can I mess this up or is it a simple swap?
It's pretty simple really, just a pain to access the bolts, it takes a couple hours to do (because of how hard the bolts are to get to)

The only thing that could go wrong is if you set the tension wrong.. Too loose you skip a tooth on timing and bend valves.. Too tight and you stretch your chain and it breaks.
But its not hard... Just snug the adjusted against the chain, losen it like 1/8 turn, start bike up.. If it rattles still tighten it tell it stops, if it doesn't rattle losen it tell it does rattle then just tighten it a little tell it stop...

If you were around here i'd do it for some alcohol!
Old 03-19-2009, 03:18 PM

ClutchClown04 is a decent person

ya bummer its hard to find good work without really paying alot for it on the island I think im dealing with the best shop here he is just a little slow with the work. Do you know anyone out in hawaii who could show me some safe spots to practice with out getting messed with by cops.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:23 PM
Life is a Risk so Live It

OnPoint is a decent person

Originally Posted by Towlieee
+1

and considering a manual cct cost the same as a stock one, I don't know why people still use stock replacements

How many miles are on your bike?
Whats it sound like if you hold the rpm at 3,500-4,000?

If it sounds like its buzzing/rattling/clanging, then its your cam chain tensoner most likely
Around 6k miles and I haven't noticed any rattling

Originally Posted by kuziken
its like 65 bucks shipped...just do it
Will do
Old 03-19-2009, 03:27 PM

Around 6k miles and I haven't noticed any rattling
Thats typically 'around' where it starts

yours might be fine tell 10k+ or they could make sound at like 2k miles

I'd say your fine running what you got tell it starts rattling.. But once it rattles ,just replace it with the ape
Old 04-30-2009, 10:52 PM

Seal Clubber is an unknown quantity at this point

Anybody have a picture of where the tensioner is?
Old 04-30-2009, 10:56 PM

i usually adjust mine when the bike is up to normal running temp and i back it out till it rattles then i tighten it down till the noise stops then i give it a rev or two just to see if it rattles and then i give it about a 1/16 th of a turn
+1

Mine also started to rattle again after a year, so I tightened it up about 1/8 turn more
Old 04-30-2009, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Seal Clubber
Anybody have a picture of where the tensioner is?
It's on the right side of the motor below the back side of the throttle bodies..

It's right down by the motor mount

You gotta take the fuel tank and air box off, and even then, its hard as hell to get a wrench on the bolts..

I did it just fine though, took me forever to tighten the bolts, then again I'm skinny so my hands fit in their
Old 04-30-2009, 11:17 PM

DCP-TED is an unknown quantity at this point

i think the ones i have looked at were apart , there were teeth that keep the tensioner from going back in , it only allows it to extend not retract
Your not talkin about the cam sprocket teeth are you Rog?
Old 04-30-2009, 11:17 PM
NealFoReal

OnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by T'RIC'KY
you could find them cheaper on ebay. and order the $2 gasket with it. This one is $44 shipped without the gasket:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/APE-C...Q5fAccessories

This one is $58 shipped w/o the gasket

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/APE-C...Q5fAccessories
Old 04-30-2009, 11:20 PM
NealFoReal

OnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for rep

We should do a pole. I wounder how many people have ran their bike to high mileage without an adj. tensioner, how many people do the mod to prevent blowing the motor, and how many people have actually blown their motor by not doing the mod?
IMO - its $50. May as well pay the $50 to insure that nothing goes wrong. I could see if it were a $500 part or something retarded like that but for $50 theres no question on whether you should replace it or not. Again, just my opinion

Quick Reply: adjusted my f4i cam chain tensioner