taking off frame F4i

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 05:58 AM

-Loco- is a decent person
taking off frame F4i

i'm taking apart my bike to get everything powdercoated but i'm having some trouble with the right side frame bolt & lock nut... the one that connect the frame to te swingarm...
i took out the axle and the left frame side is loose from the swingarm but the right side is still stuck

it seems to be a 21mm size allen bolt with a special lock nut over it... i went to the hardware store but had no luck finding a allen wrench from 21mm...

is there a way to get this loose without having to buy some special honda tool?

thanks in advance kristoff
Old 12-01-2008, 06:04 AM

T'RIC'KY will become famous soon enough
Re: taking off frame F4i

go to your local honda dealer and ask them if they can rent it to you for a day.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:14 AM

blackwater611 is a decent person

When I do my frame swaps I use a big bolt....The head of the bolt is a allen....Find a bolt head that is 21mm and use a big *** pair of vice grips or weld it to a socket....It is a ghetto way of doing it, but I promise it works well....
Old 12-01-2008, 06:22 AM

Scott982 is a decent person

Originally Posted by -Loco-
i'm taking apart my bike to get everything powdercoated but i'm having some trouble with the right side frame bolt & lock nut... the one that connect the frame to te swingarm...
i took out the axle and the left frame side is loose from the swingarm but the right side is still stuck

it seems to be a 21mm size allen bolt with a special lock nut over it... i went to the hardware store but had no luck finding a allen wrench from 21mm...

is there a way to get this loose without having to buy some special honda tool?

thanks in advance kristoff

Check out this thread it shows you how to make the tool with an old 1 1/4" socket. I made one and it worked great.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350722
Old 12-01-2008, 06:23 AM
Registered Spammer

old duffer has a reputation beyond reputeold duffer has a reputation beyond reputeold duffer has a reputation beyond reputeold duffer has a reputation beyond reputeold duffer has a reputation beyond reputeold duffer has a reputation beyond reputeold duffer has a reputation beyond reputeold duffer has a reputation beyond reputeold duffer has a reputation beyond reputeold duffer has a reputation beyond reputeold duffer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blackwater611
When I do my frame swaps I use a big bolt....The head of the bolt is a allen....Find a bolt head that is 21mm and use a big *** pair of vice grips or weld it to a socket....It is a ghetto way of doing it, but I promise it works well....
can also use two nuts on it and not weld the socket on

Best Car & Motorcycle Insurance | Auto/Moto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by old duffer
can also use two nuts on it and not weld the socket on
Yup yup...That will work to...and I will have to try that one next...
Old 12-01-2008, 06:55 AM

right on, i'm going off to work now and see if i can get my hands on some 21mm bolts!
Old 12-01-2008, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Scott982
Check out this thread it shows you how to make the tool with an old 1 1/4" socket. I made one and it worked great.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350722

awesome link bro, thx!
Old 12-01-2008, 10:38 AM

wjerlinger is an unknown quantity at this point
I made one too.

Originally Posted by Scott982
This is the same way I made mine when I did the RR conversion. It helped alot! Here's a pic from the other site.
Name:  DSC02144.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  47.4 KB
Old 12-01-2008, 02:28 PM

da Liks is a decent person

is it coming along kristoff? i'm wanting to do the same but i'm reaaally hesitating.. i wanna do a black or blue frame...
Old 12-01-2008, 03:27 PM
ATOWNCUSTOMS

ATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud of

this is what i did and it worked great.but i welded it to a 10in steel rod it made it into a tire iron if you can kinda get the picture.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:32 PM
WWW.IDOLRIDERS.COM

MikeOnTheBike is an unknown quantity at this point

yes this is the way if you can't find an allen or the 4 way tool for loosening those lock nuts. I welded a grade 8 bolt that fit the allen size to an impact socket and used a breaker bar. and be careful when it goes back together and do not over tighten, could overload the bearing and break it. had it happen when I got this bike i have now. the previous owner when they had the swingarm polished it was put together WAY TOO TIGHT and snapped that bearing on the right side.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by MikeOnTheBike
yes this is the way if you can't find an allen or the 4 way tool for loosening those lock nuts. I welded a grade 8 bolt that fit the allen size to an impact socket and used a breaker bar. and be careful when it goes back together and do not over tighten, could overload the bearing and break it. had it happen when I got this bike i have now. the previous owner when they had the swingarm polished it was put together WAY TOO TIGHT and snapped that bearing on the right side.
DAMN!!! YOU TO... It happend to me last year!
Old 12-01-2008, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by da Liks
is it coming along kristoff? i'm wanting to do the same but i'm reaaally hesitating.. i wanna do a black or blue frame...

just finnished taking the bike apart, a lot of parts are on my garage floor now
i took some pics step by step when i was taking everything off just to make shure that i rebuild it the right way...
tomorrow i'm gonna take out the bearings from the wheels and swingarm and everything is going to the coater straight away

btw: frame, sub, swingarm and wheels are going in blue and the rest will be gloss black! looks like we got the same paintscheme idea